Windows 10: Windows Defender Cannot Be Turned Off

Discus and support Windows Defender Cannot Be Turned Off in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As I use a proprietary antirvirus, and on a whim, I just thought to check my Windows Defender setting, only to find to find that it was turned on*. (I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Phrixos, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Phrixos Win User

Windows Defender Cannot Be Turned Off

As I use a proprietary antirvirus, and on a whim, I just thought to check my Windows Defender setting, only to find to find that it was turned on*. (I could swear I turned it off, sometime in the past. I was further surprised to find that the On/Off button is disabled--so I CAN'T turn it off!

I'm further surprised to find the notice, under Settings/Windows Defender, which says "You can turn this off temporarily, but if we find that it is turned off for a while we'll turn it back on again, automatically." (One mystery solved*)

As I understand it, Windows Defender is merely Microsoft's own notion of free antivirus software--so when Windows turns Defender on again, this means I not only have two antivirus packages running (and possibly interfering with each other--involuntarily) but also that I now seem to have no choice in the matter--unless, of course, I permanently uninstall the antivirus software that I paid good money for.

Questions: How do I re-enable the Windows Defender On/Off button; and
    How do I DISable Windows ability to turn it on again?

:)

Phrixos, Jan 12, 2016

2. Windows Defender on 10

Went into Windows Defender it is turned off, cannot turn it on.

SusanMcFadden, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Murray 3 Win User
    Defender

My windows defender is turned off but I cannot turn it back on?

Murray 3, Jan 12, 2016
  4. Phrixos Win User

Oh! Instant discoveries!

When the Settings window opens, it may look like it is fully open, but it is only half-open. Lo and behold, way down at the bottom of the window (when, that is, you finally realized what's going on) and off the bottom of the monitor altogether, below the "Versions Info," are three words that anyone would think deserve placement right up top: "Open Windows Defender." (They look, more to the point, greyed-out, hence, the link looks disabled.)

Imagine my further surprise when a notice appeared saying, "This application has been turned OFF and isn't monitoring your computer."

On, or Off, Microsoft. Please make up your mind. (and please put these things where people expect to see them.)

Accordingly, I have myself solved one of the problems in my previous post. As for the second, this may now be for me a moot point, but it remains: Is there a way to ensure Windows doesn't turn Windows Defender on again, without the users input or knowledge?

Phrixos, Jan 12, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    If you have a 3rd-party AV installed, it turns Defender off. It will be turned back on when you uninstall the 3rd-party AV. You don't want 2 active AVs running, as they will conflict with each other, and potentially cause your system to be as if there was no protection at all.

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  6. Phrixos Win User
    "If you have a 3rd-party AV installed, it turns Defender off. It will be turned back on when you uninstall the 3rd-party AV."

Hello simrick.

So, in the interval between uninstalling one AV and installing another, Windows Defender self-activates and de-activates?

THAT, mon ami, is a critical piece of info. Thank you!

(You should get a job with Microsoft's design team.)

Phrixos, Jan 13, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Actually, I think the 3rd-party AV does the turning off/turning on bit. But that's the gist of it. *Smile

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Cannot Be Turned Off - Similar Threads - Defender Cannot Turned

2. Cannot Turn off windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Turn off windows defender: Hello. I have tried also editing the permissions in the registry but It says access denied. I do not have a school or work account linked in fact I just freshly restored and wiped my whole PC...
  3. Cannot Turn off windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Turn off windows defender: Hello. I have tried also editing the permissions in the registry but It says access denied. I do not have a school or work account linked in fact I just freshly restored and wiped my whole PC...
  4. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  5. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  6. windows defender turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender turned off: my windows defender got completly turned off by a virus and i need help turning it back on[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turned-off/1ace7038-f611-4e3d-a190-a6a133ce76df
  7. Windows Defender turning off.

Windows Defender turning off.: I have Malwarebytes Premium and I use Windows Defender as a primary scanner, but whenever i update or restart, it turns itself off and i have to turn it back on. Is this normal or something?...
  8. turning off windows defender

turning off windows defender: [ATTACH]i need help because i'm not sure,if i turned off my windows defender will these threats comeback and be allowed? the other 3 at the top are removed or restored so please help....
  9. window defender turned off

window defender turned off: my window defender on win 10 pro is turned off and i am unable to turn on. system asks to turn on connect network administrator. and defender is turned off due to group policy etc....
  10. Cannot turn off windows defender.

Cannot turn off windows defender.: My mom and I are in a bit of a pickle here. She teaches science and has attempted to download a few programs onto her computer, but Windows Defender is not allowing her to open it, and often removes the program. I know it's safe because I've used it on my own computer....