Windows 10: Windows defender causing slow icon display

Discus and support Windows defender causing slow icon display in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So in another thread I questioned why on boot up my desktop icons were a bit slow in drawing themselves. They take a few seconds to fully draw with a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Scottyboy99, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Windows defender causing slow icon display

So in another thread I questioned why on boot up my desktop icons were a bit slow in drawing themselves. They take a few seconds to fully draw with a number of them showing as white generic paper icons. I then found folders with a large number of exe files were also slow to display the icons. Increasing icon cache, rebuilding it didn't make a difference. I was also noticing that the folders slow to draw the icons once finished gave no further grief if I subsequently opened them. Until the next reboot!

Finally i I know why, it's Windows defender. The antimalware service is kicking in causing the slow icon draw. I suppose it's doing its thing but the slow draw of the icons on the desktop when I log in annoys me. It's only a few seconds but running SSD and given the cost of the system I expect it to be a bit more instant. I am sure it's not as bad as this on my Windows 7 laptop which runs security essentials. I wondered if there was any advice to stop this behaviour. I turned off real time protection temporarily and can confirm that the folders were then drawing the exe icons instantly. So definitely defender the culprit.

i am also considering trying another paid anti virus. Kaspersky sounds like it has good rep and is lightweight - I was only going to go for the anti virus / real time protection aspect as I am happy with Windows in built firewall. Does it play nice with Windows 10? I just want something light on resources, nag free and something that won't interfere with the drawing of the icons. I thought defender being integrated and an MS product would give the littlest grief but I guess I'm wrong. Unless something can be set to prevent it real time scanning the desktop icons. I'd be happy if I could at least avoid that.

:)

Scottyboy99, Jan 16, 2016

2. Defender real time protection causes slow icon drawing (exe files)

Windows defender is causing slow Drawing of icons for .exe because of defender. my downloads folder has numerous exe files and they are slow to draw for several seconds due to antimalware service kicking in. It only happens first time I open, after that
    it's instant - until the next reboot when the same happens! By turning off real time protection and it becomes instant. So defender is the culprit.

It has another annoying side effect when I reboot. My desktop displays and some of the shortcut icons on here takes a few seconds to display. They have white generic paper icons on some of them before they all draw properly. Again it's defender that is causing
    it.

This needs addressing by MS I think

3. Windows Defender is on but after reboots its brick wall icon does not show up in the area reserved for ^show hidden icons

Original Title: Windows Defender -- Is it active?

According to Settings Windows Defender is on but after reboots its brick wall icon does not show up in the area reserved for ^show hidden icons. Is Windows Defender actually on immediately after reboots or when the computer is powered back up after being
    turned off even if its Icon is not displayed when the ^show hidden icons is selected?

The Defender Icon does show up and then resides as a hidden Icon if I manually go to settings and select the "use Windows Defender" selection.

RandyDampier, Jan 16, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Windows defender causing slow icon display

I'm wondering how you determined that defender is causing this problem? I would think that this is more of a graphic driver issue since it's an image rendering problem.

BunnyJ, Jan 16, 2016
  5. Turning off real time protection stops the issue. Plus I see the service kicking in via task manager.

cheers, Wayne

6. BunnyJ New Member
    I know you've likely tried this but I have to ask if you have tried a third party AV and seen how it works with that??

BunnyJ, Jan 16, 2016
  7. I haven't but will prob end up giving that a shot. I preferred to go with defender as it's supposed to be lightweight and integrates nicely. I was hoping there were tips to stop it scanning at the very least desktop shortcuts on start up. I was pondering kaspersky and only the anti virus part as I am more than happy with Windows own firewall. Which anti virus do you use? I am curious if other users of defender notice similar though.

8. Windows defender causing slow icon display

as a temporary measure to test

if you tell it to ignore the desktop folder, put in an exception for it, does it stop the issue?

paulsalter, Jan 16, 2016
  9. Can you do that? Does that pertain to real time scanning? I'll definetely try that first before going down the kaspersky route. Thanks for that suggestion, I'll let you know when my wife lets me back on the computer, lol. I'd be very interested to know what you use given you high knowledge and rep.

cheers
    wayne

10. BunnyJ New Member
    Paul has a good idea here,

As for a third party AV.,. I would try a free one like AVG or Avast. That way you don't have to totally commit to a pay version and both are lightweight and work well with 10.

BunnyJ, Jan 16, 2016
  11. Thanks chaps. I really appreciate the excellent advice. I will try the exception first and if no dice then a freebie as suggested. I will update the thread later hopefully

12. BunnyJ New Member
    I hope things work out.. if not post the results you get.

BunnyJ, Jan 16, 2016
  13. Windows defender causing slow icon display

good luck with it, hope it works

just suddenly thought of this as some media software I use recommend you to except the media library to stop defender scanning the files as you play them (not had an issue so never actually tried it though)

paulsalter, Jan 16, 2016
  14. Exclusions seems to be working but i do need to play around with it more. At first I set a folder exclusion for c:users/wayne/desktop but that didn't solve the lagging icon draw of my desktop icons upon boot. So I thought maybe I should look to exclude the executables these shortcuts point at. I know these are all safe. So I did a couple of them and they seemed to draw instantly on desktop load after booting. There are others slightly lagging so I will work through these over time. I hope by doing this there will be big improvement. I also excluded my downloads folder temporarily as this has quite a few executables in it. This also showed instantaneous drawing of icons after doing this. I removed that exclusion straight after because I think it's pretty important this is scanned. So I guess I'm reasonably content but will feedback more later. It's a slight pain to work through but once I've done it the upkeep will be small as I don't often add new stuff to my desktop. I have the programs I like and it rarely changes.

i did Google around and whilst not widespread it seems security essentials and defender does interfere with icon drawing of exe files for a fair number of people. The exclusions are an easy workaround if it works as I think I am seeing. I would obviously only exclude stuff I know is safe, mainly installed games from steam executables

15. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yes, this has happened to me since MSE/W7 days. MS should do something about this. I really like WD.

eLPuSHeR, Jan 17, 2016
Thema:

Windows defender causing slow icon display

1. Windows defender causing slow icon display - Similar Threads - defender causing slow

2. Combining taskbar buttons causes some icons to not display.

in Windows 10 Support
    Combining taskbar buttons causes some icons to not display.: When I choose "Always, hide labels" in the taskbar options, it makes some icons not display properly. For instance, Firefox, at far right in screenshots. Windows 10 21HI 181129
  3. No icon in windows defender

in Windows 10 Customization
    No icon in windows defender: Hello, my system is almost 1 year, and somehow my windows defender icons just disappear and i can't update windows. I tried other method in getting back the icons, but it seems it didn't show up. But I can still search some of the features e.g. Virus and Threat Protection,...
  4. How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to solve Defender real time protection slowing down icon display ?: [ATTACH] One of the example is as seen on the picture of my desktop above : 1. first condition, the icon with all the arrow there 2. I right-click the desktop and choose refresh 3. the arrow gone and start showing on each icon The other thing is if I open "This PC", the...
  5. What would cause some icons to not display?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What would cause some icons to not display?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Mr_FiZzY0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ekvemv/what_would_cause_some_icons_to_not_display/
  6. Windows defender icon

Windows defender icon: Windows Defender in hidden icons is checked in red, but security looks OK. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-icon/e77a7989-9ad6-4247-91ef-2f98010723ba"
  7. Windows Defender Icon

Windows Defender Icon: I'm trying to put a Windows Defender Icon on my desk top to no avail. I tried all the ways possible. Help ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-icon/63e763aa-1b86-4ad7-91ae-8cd3ccdfba46"
  8. Windows Defender icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender icon: Hello, is it possible to change a little bit the windows defender icon? From [ATTACH] To [ATTACH] The purpose behind that is to have the same colors in the taskbar (black and white) and we add an "X" in the icon only when there is a problem [ATTACH] I know that I...
  9. Windows Defender Icon

Windows Defender Icon: The windows defender icon in the Task Bar shows the “Actions recommended” message when I hover the mouse pointer over the windows defender icon. However, when I open the Windows Defender Security Center window, no actions are recommended. What could be wrong?...
  10. Windows Defender Icon ?

Windows Defender Icon ?: Sometimes, the Windows Defender icon in the taskbar appears especially after launching the Windows Defender app, but after a next reboot, the icon is no longer appears. How can I make the icon for Windows Defender to appear permanently like I have it shown in my image shot...