Windows 10: Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem

Discus and support Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi guys, For some strange reason my System settings tab is not there in my Exploit Protection settings, only Program settings is visible. Any... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by templar, Mar 14, 2018.

1. templar Win User

Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem

Hi guys,

For some strange reason my System settings tab is not there in my Exploit Protection settings, only Program settings is visible. Any suggestions on what is happening?

:)

templar, Mar 14, 2018

2. Bug? In Windows Defender Exploit Guard.

If we assume that this is just a glitch, then you might be able to reset the Exploit protection defaults by exporting the settings from an unaffected PC (with default settings) and then importing those settings on the affected machines. This looks
    to be the backup/restore tool for the Exploit protection settings:

Deploy Exploit protection mitigations across your organization

Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

GreginMich, Mar 14, 2018
  3. I want to infect my PC

Hi Rob

You most likely are aware but for the benefit of all readers let me provide more rather than less information.

Windows Defender Exploit Guard
    (introduced in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update) includes four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in malware attacks before any
    damage can be done.

• Exploit protection consists of exploit mitigations which
      can be configured to protect the system and applications whenever suspicious or malicious exploit-like behavior is detected.
    • Controlled folder access protects common system folders
      and personal data from ransomware by blocking untrusted processes from accessing and tampering (encrypting) sensitive files contained in these protected folders.
    • Attack Surface Reduction (ASR) is comprised of
      a set of rules which helps prevent exploit-seeking malware by blocking Office, script and email-based threats.
    • Network protection protects against web-based threats
      by blocking any outbound process attempting to connect with untrusted hosts/IP/domains with low-reputation utilizing

Windows Defender SmartScreen

Windows Defender EG is intended to replace Microsoft’s EMET which was confusing to novice users and allowed hackers to bypass because the mitigations were not durable and often caused operating system and application stability issues as explained

here
    . Microsoft advises that Windows Defender EG features all work best with

Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
    which provides detailed reporting into Windows Defender EG events and blocks.

As noted in the link I provided above, some security researchers have advised not to to use multiple anti-exploit applications because using more than one of them at the same time can hamper the effectiveness of

Return-oriented programming (ROP)
    , and other exploit checks.

Fabian Wosar
    of Emsisoft has said multiple anti-exploit programs can result in the system becoming even more vulnerable than if only one anti-exploit application is running. In some cases multiple tools can cause interference
    with each other and program crashes.

As such, users need to know and understand the protection features of any third-party anti-exploit/anti-ransomware program they are considering to use alongside Windows Defender EG..

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 14, 2018
  4. Stitch194 Win User

That's strange! What version of Windows are you running? Current version is 1709(OS build 16299.309 as of Mar.13,2018
    Also what version of Defender do you have? The latest definition of Defender 1.263.562.0

Stitch194, Mar 14, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    It's probably more pertinent to ask what processor you have. None of my machines have the System tab either. I'm guessing that older CPUs don't support all the functions required. Support for virtualisation (which mine don't have) would seem to be a key one...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...r-device-guard

6. templar Win User
    Windows version 1709 os build 16299.309 cpu intel i7 4790k

I remember when Exploit Protection was first introduced onto my pc via the Windows updates process that I had the System settings tab because I turned everything off for fear of conflict with Malwarebytes Anti Exploit, but I've since heard that Malwarebytes Anti Exploit works with Windows Exploit Protection if Microsoft's default settings are used. It was when I went to re-enable the WEP default settings that I noticed that the System settings had vanished.

templar, Mar 14, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Well, that should be new enough. It's possible that virtualization has been turned off in the bios, worth checking.

https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/e...s_in_BIOS.html

8. templar Win User

Okay, cheers Bree.*Smile

templar, Mar 15, 2018
  9. Ita1 Win User
    Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem [​IMG]

10. Bree New Member
  11. Bree New Member
    I've had a closer look at this....
    ...and you know what? It is there, hiding in plain sight!

The 'Use strict CFG' and the others in your screenshot are the System settings page! What's missing it the correct text for the tab labels and other parts of the screen. Looks like a pointer used to index the table of text strings for the app is out by about three places.

It shouldn't say 'Program settings' at the top, that's supposed to be the label for the second tab, which instead has the text 'Use default (<On/Off>)' - just click on it and you'll find the programs! The first tab should be labelled 'System settings' but instead says 'On by default'. The Title at the top should actually say 'Exploit protection'.

Compare what you see with the screenshots in the tutorial and you'll see what I mean, everything is there - it's just that everything has got the wrong name.
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

(you really couldn't make this stuff up)

I'm not risking changing anything until I can trust that it's correctly labelled - who knows what I might actually be turning on/off?

12. Ita1 Win User
    the only way is to resort to powershell, however it is unacceptable that in a month a fix has not been produced since this bug makes an entire module unusable

13. Bree New Member

*Ditto

The Windows Defender Security Center is the UI for Defender and named as the 'Windows Defender antimalware platform' in the updates. These updates are not part of the cumulative updates. They are quite separate and AIUI maintained by the Microsoft Windows Defender Team.
    https://support.microsoft.com/help/4...lware-platform

I know that at least one member of the Microsoft Windows Defender Team has registered here on TenForums, @jyim89. He is also active under the same name on the Microsoft Community forum, should you wish to make your feelings known. *Smile
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-89b0ee9f6206

14. roy111 Win User
    Thanks @Bree, i was struggling trying to understand the meaning of many phrases in Exploit protection settings, they are in "Italian" but they does not make sense;

Please @jyim89 if you can and/or care ask to whom it may concern to have it translated from someone who can actually write in Italian*cry; that is not Italian, it looks like and automatic translation was used.

Kind regards.

roy111, Mar 21, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    @roy111, the screenshots in Brink's tutorial show all the Exploit protection settings in English, that should help you navigate the "Italian" ones...
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

This lists all the settings and describes what each one does.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...oit-protection

Thema:

1. Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem - Similar Threads - Defender Exploit Protection

2. how to clean the Historical Protected record of the “Windows Defender Exploit...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to clean the Historical Protected record of the “Windows Defender Exploit...: how to clean the Historical Protected record of the “Windows Defender Exploit Guard-Controlled Folder Access”“” I couldn't find a button to delete the history, so I wanted to ask which folder the history is stored in, or which location in the registry I once DELETED...
  3. Exploit protection windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Exploit protection windows 10: There are four programs with system overrides enabled. ExtExport.exe, ie4uinit.exe, ieinstall.exe and ielowutil.exe. "Force randomization for images Mandatory ASLR" All four have override checked and are set to on. All the system settings are set at default. Web searches......
  4. Exploit protection settings

Exploit protection settings: 1. I do not understand the "System settings" options under EXPLOIT PROTECTION in Windows Defender set up section. What does "Use default on vs. "On by default mean? What is the safest? 2, What is SEHOP? What is "heap integrity" What is "High-entropy ASLR...
  5. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  6. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  7. What programs do you protect with Windows Defender Exploit protection?

What programs do you protect with Windows Defender Exploit protection?: Interested to hear what others have decided on... 107443
  8. Does Windows Defender Exploit Protection log anywhere?

Does Windows Defender Exploit Protection log anywhere?: I've used EMET quite a bit in the past. I recently started using the Fall Creators Update "Exploit Protection" feature. I have the settings as aggressive as possible, and I'm not changing them. This post is not asking what Exploit Protection settings I should use. The...
  9. Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows Security app. Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device...
  10. Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows Defender Security Center. Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device...