Windows 10: Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Discus and support Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Try3, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Try3 Win User

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

:)

Try3, Aug 1, 2018

2. Why does Windows Defender not understand "False Positive"?

Almost daily now, I've had to clear a "threat" from Defender's "actions needed" list on a specific program that is a false positive.

How do I make it work as expected?

DreamlessDancer, Aug 1, 2018
  3. gagagaON Win User
    Is restoring a quarantined threat the same as allowing the threat?

My Windows defender scan reported a threat last week. I quarantined it. After a few days, I updated my defender virus definitions, restored the threat, and ran another scan (because I wanted to find out if it was a false positive). This new scan did not
    report any threat.

However, under defender's threat history, allowed items, I see this threat listed. I do NOT want to allow the threat, just wanted to find out if the latest definitions would still reported the file as a threat. How should I do that? Thank you. I am using
    windows 10.

gagagaON, Aug 1, 2018
  4. Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

defender false positive

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, kindly verify the following:

• Where did you submit the file about Windows Defender being false positive?
    • Right after the recent Windows 10 update, your Zara Radio stopped working?
    • Regarding the 404 error, what application were you using when you got that error?

Let us know.

Joanna 777, Aug 1, 2018
Thema:

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

1. Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat - Similar Threads - defender false positive

2. False positive??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    False positive??: Hello! I downloaded a file from web and I think I got viruses or malware from it. First, Windows Defender notified me that I got malware and I deleted all the temp and patched files from my laptop and scanned it after with Microsoft Security Scan and it said I have 0 files...
  3. False positive??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    False positive??: Hello! I downloaded a file from web and I think I got viruses or malware from it. First, Windows Defender notified me that I got malware and I deleted all the temp and patched files from my laptop and scanned it after with Microsoft Security Scan and it said I have 0 files...
  4. Is this a false positive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this a false positive: I'm pretty scared cause I clicked on this link for help and it flagged as malicious https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/419ed1cdabbd93e665156658d341edf1ef001c4158864fa4ca2ad501839a3dd7?nocache=1...
  5. False positive threats

False positive threats: I bought recently a new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed, I made all the necessary updates, installed my applications and finally downloaded Google drive, by the way I was thinking to switch back to OneDrive but Microsoft didn't as usual fix the damn cloud.Anyway, after...
  6. False positive in Defender?

False positive in Defender?: Defender has just identified an alleged Script/Wacatc.B1Ml trojan in a zip file that has been on my system for many years. It didn't object to the unzipped version, a vbs file. I don't know where the zip file has been put, to send a sample and I can't remember how to send...
  7. A false positive detected by Windows Defender

A false positive detected by Windows Defender: I need help on my computer's built-in Microsoft Antivirus system. Although I have already deleted the files that caused the false positive to be detected, my pc still gave me this notification NON-STOP.This is not a virus. This is actually a false positive detected by Windows...
  8. Windows Defender False-Positives loop

Windows Defender False-Positives loop: After spending all day on this literally my patience has worn out. I have been using Windows Defender for many years on many different computers, they've done their job and never given me grief-until now. I've been able to download several tools/programs without issue and...
  9. Feedback for Windows Defender false positive found

Feedback for Windows Defender false positive found: Hello, where can be send for repair info about false positive found e.g. threat? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/feedback-for-windows-defender-false-positive-found/05fac603-354c-4f88-949d-616cb0051330
  10. Windows Defender False Positives

Windows Defender False Positives: I received an alarming message from WD which says all antivirus providers are disabled, which I think was a false positives. So I went on a check. And the result: [ATTACH] Protection is on, license is active and my firewall is on too. Can you tell why that message is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. powessere.g trojan hp driver

2. trojan powessere.g hp driver

3. false positive windows defender

4. hp powessere.g,
  5. allow false positive windows defender,
  6. win32/powessere.g hp download,
  7. powessere g from batch file,
  8. trojan:win32/powessere.g hp recovery,
  9. hp powessere.G blocked,
  10. powessere.g hp,
  11. hp driver Trojan:Win32/Powessere.G