Windows 10: Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting

Discus and support Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; On a Windows 8.1 PC, something keeps setting the registry key'Disable AntiSpyware' to on/1. I've tried deleting that entry, and changing it back to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NMac3167, Jul 26, 2018.

1. NMac3167 Win User

Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting

On a Windows 8.1 PC, something keeps setting the registry key'Disable AntiSpyware' to on/1. I've tried deleting that entry, and changing it back to zero, which allows me to start Defender up again. But a few minutes later, something either adds that registry key back in set to '1' or sets the existing zero value back to '1'. And then attempting to start Defender gets the 'Disabled by Group Policy' error.

How can I stop that registry key from being set to '1'?

Thank you.

:)

NMac3167, Jul 26, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

How do I turn on Windows defender

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

If there are any third party security software installed, then Windows Defender will get disabled automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it help:

• Open Settings by either clicking on the Settings icon on the Start menu or simultaneously pressing Windows and I keys.
    • Click on Update & Security.
    • Click on Windows Defender, and on the left right side, turn on.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Jul 26, 2018
  3. How to turn on Windows defender in Windows 10

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

Windows Defender is the default real-time (always on) protection program in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

If there are any third party security software installed, then Windows Defender will get disabled automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it help:

• Open Settings by either clicking on the Settings icon on the Start menu or simultaneously pressing Windows and I keys.

• Click on Update & Security.

• Click on Windows Defender, and on the left right side, turn on.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 26, 2018
  4. Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting

Defender getting turned off during overnight full scan. (Windows 10)

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I would like to ask you:

• What registry script did you use?
    • What all troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Method 2

Please follow the below steps to set the right registry entry and check if it helps.

• Press Win key + R. This will open Run.
    • Type "regedit" and hit enter.
    • Navigate to these keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender
    • Change value of 'DisableAntiSpyware' and 'DisableAntiVirus' from '0' to '1'.
    • After changing the values go to 'C:\Program Files\Windows Defender' and open 'MSASCui.exe' file.
    To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to run a system restore and restore the system to a previous date when it was working fine.

• Open Start menu.
    • Type System Restore and hit enter.
    • Follow the prompts and select a restore point when your PC was working fine.
    Disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Hope this information was helpful.

Sahil Bali, Jul 26, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting

1. Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting - Similar Threads - Defender Getting Turned

2. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  3. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  4. windows defender turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender turned off: my windows defender got completly turned off by a virus and i need help turning it back on[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turned-off/1ace7038-f611-4e3d-a190-a6a133ce76df
  5. Windows Defender turning off.

Windows Defender turning off.: I have Malwarebytes Premium and I use Windows Defender as a primary scanner, but whenever i update or restart, it turns itself off and i have to turn it back on. Is this normal or something?...
  6. turning off windows defender

turning off windows defender: [ATTACH]i need help because i'm not sure,if i turned off my windows defender will these threats comeback and be allowed? the other 3 at the top are removed or restored so please help....
  7. windows defender registry key change

windows defender registry key change: hi, my windows denfender services become disable , not sure why. I already take ownership of registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend then change start key from 4 to 2, it still unable to change the key? any idea?...
  8. Windows Defender will not turn off

Windows Defender will not turn off: I see in forums everywhere that when third party anti-malware software is installed and run that Windows Defender turns itself off. But it doesn't with Malware Bytes. Why not? How can I permanently disable Defender while Malware Bytes is installed? Thanks in advance!...
  9. window defender turned off

window defender turned off: my window defender on win 10 pro is turned off and i am unable to turn on. system asks to turn on connect network administrator. and defender is turned off due to group policy etc....
  10. WINDOW DEFENDER IS TURN OFF

WINDOW DEFENDER IS TURN OFF: I NEED HELP FROM THE SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR TO HELP ME TURN ON MY WINDOW DEFENDER THROUGH GROUP POLICY THANKS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-defender-is-turn-off/35198a9c-39b1-4fa2-9011-2e3918aa76cd