Windows 10: Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer

Discus and support Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had thought that perhaps some malware infected my computer and I open up task manager and the resources are being hogged by Windows Defender itself,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by EdwardSebesta1, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer

I had thought that perhaps some malware infected my computer and I open up task manager and the resources are being hogged by Windows Defender itself, which seems to be a bit of malware itself. Specifically something called Antimalware Service Executable.

I have read the other postings, and I don't want to get that far into my computer and mess it up. I don't want the usual list of stray URLs to follow and find that it doesn't really solve any problem. Also, I am sort of busy and I am actually using my computer to do stuff, and not as a hobby in itself.

1. Can I just use task manager to to kill the Antimalware Service Executable, or do I risk really screwing things up?

2. How do you uninstall Windows Defender?

3. Recommendations on replacements?

4. Why is it 2018 and Microsoft is still putting out defective software? It is defective since it wasting my time figuring out what is happening and how to fix it. Computers in 2018 and going forward just need to work and not be a hobby in themselves.

:)

EdwardSebesta1, Aug 4, 2018

2. Protecting the computer (windows defender,avast, etc)?

Agreed with Firefox w/ Adblock Plus and NoScript. I suggest Antivir. Very trustworthy Antivirus and is less resource hogging the avast. Takes up about 40mb with guard enabled and 30mb with guard disabled.

spearman914, Aug 4, 2018
  3. theonedub Win User
    Do you use Windows Defender?

I used to use AVG but that thing seemed like a resource hog! Windows defender is only spyware protection *Frown Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer :(

I use Microsoft Security Essentials now which does Anti Virus and Spyware protection. Its free so long as your copy of Windows passes Genuine Validation. Its quick and doesn't seem to hog up as much resources. *Toast :toast:

theonedub, Aug 4, 2018
  4. essenbe Win User

Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer

Is there any way to force more resources to an app?

If what @Kari suggested does not work, look in the backup software settings. Some software have settings that by default are set to not bog the computer down (use less resources). They are adjustable and can be set to use more resources.

essenbe, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer

1. Windows Defender hogging resources and bogging down my computer - Similar Threads - Defender hogging resources

2. Computer bogs down after login to windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer bogs down after login to windows: I recently bought a new msi katana laptop with windows 11. I’ve noticed a weird quirk when starting up the computer. When I shut down using the standard approach of clicking the windows button on the start menu and select the power icon followed by shutdown or restart, the...
  3. Computer bogs down after login to windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer bogs down after login to windows: I recently bought a new msi katana laptop with windows 11. I’ve noticed a weird quirk when starting up the computer. When I shut down using the standard approach of clicking the windows button on the start menu and select the power icon followed by shutdown or restart, the...
  4. Task manager resource hog... until

Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  5. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  6. Guys from Redmond , dont bamboozle me ! Defender is a resource hog!

Guys from Redmond , dont bamboozle me ! Defender is a resource hog!: Upon Windows 10 startup , Defender takes 100-200MB , in some time 600MB !!!? I dont want this RAM hog ! Fix this right away . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guys-from-redmond-dont-bamboozle-me-defender-is-a/5ca8678a-1285-40c1-b4e7-61b1f1f65673
  7. Guys from Redmond , dont bamboozle me ! Defender is resource hog!

Guys from Redmond , dont bamboozle me ! Defender is resource hog!: Upon Windows 10 startup , Defender takes 100-200MB , in some time 600MB !!!? I dont want this RAM hog ! Fix this right away . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guys-from-redmond-dont-bamboozle-me-defender-is/5ca8678a-1285-40c1-b4e7-61b1f1f65673
  8. Chrome hogging all resources

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome hogging all resources: My Chrome(latest version) is hogging all resources, can having too many bookmarks, history, saved passwords, search engines etc cause chrome to hog all the PC resources? 167877
  9. Chrome hogging all resources

Chrome hogging all resources: My Chrome(latest version) is hogging all resources, can having too many bookmarks, history, saved passwords, search engines etc cause chrome to hog all the PC resources? 167877
  10. Edge Chromium as a resource hog

Edge Chromium as a resource hog: Dear team of Edge Browser and its users, Please, comment on my personal experience in using Edge Chromium stable version on my PC with Windows 10 Home with all latest updates. At the beginning the Edge browser worked as a charm but suddenly it started working slowly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bog defender 2020 does it work language:en

2. Antimalware Service Executable 40mb