Windows 10: Windows Defender icon not showing when system starts up

Discus and support Windows Defender icon not showing when system starts up in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; How can I make Windows Defender icon in the notification bar appear when my system starts up? I tried to toggle the switch to show the User Interface... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Windows Defender icon not showing when system starts up

How can I make Windows Defender icon in the notification bar appear when my system starts up?
    I tried to toggle the switch to show the User Interface in the notification bar but that did not seem to help, but I toggled it back to OFF as shown from the image.

I just want the icon itself to show in the notification area as soon as my system starts up like shown in my other image.

Thanks

:)

win10freak, Sep 23, 2016

2. Defender for Windows 10

Is Defender continually working in Windows 10? When I go down to my toolbar and open the "show hidden Icons tab" it does not show up anywhere, but then when I go to settings and security check, it shows it running and protecting my system. Once I check
    on it in my settings control, then the icon immediately shows up in my " show hidden tab". So my question is am I manually starting it every time I check my security settings so that the Defender icon pops up. I just want to make sure I'm covered 24/7 regardless
    if theres a little icon showing up. Thanks for the feedback.

NewJerseyDale, Sep 23, 2016
  3. Windows Defender is on but after reboots its brick wall icon does not show up in the area reserved for ^show hidden icons

Original Title: Windows Defender -- Is it active?

According to Settings Windows Defender is on but after reboots its brick wall icon does not show up in the area reserved for ^show hidden icons. Is Windows Defender actually on immediately after reboots or when the computer is powered back up after being
    turned off even if its Icon is not displayed when the ^show hidden icons is selected?

The Defender Icon does show up and then resides as a hidden Icon if I manually go to settings and select the "use Windows Defender" selection.

RandyDampier, Sep 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Defender icon not showing when system starts up

I think you need this setting:

Windows Defender icon not showing when system starts up [​IMG]

Open Settings, in the Search box type 'Select' and click the first found item. Scroll down to Defender.

(If you're using another AV, it won't appear).

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  5. I think I did that setting one time and during system startup, the icon did not appear.
    Please see image.

win10freak, Sep 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Have you had another AV installed and uninstalled it?

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  7. No, no other AV installed.
    But, I came across this article from HTG and it explains how to remove the startup icon.
    However, my question is the opposite, I want to add it in the startup task.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/264796/how-...fication-area/

I am running Windows 10 1511.

win10freak, Sep 23, 2016
  8. BRU
    bru Win User

What version of Windows 10 are you on?

9. dalchina New Member
    In the screenshot you posted in #3, does that on/off slider function, or is it greyed out?

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  10. When I toggle Show All Icons in the notification area, it is greyed out.
    When toggled off, it is not greyed out.
    Version of Win10 is 1511 build 10586

win10freak, Sep 23, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    If you launch Windows Defender (type Defender in the Cortana search box click the result) does it say it's on or off?

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  12. Defender is ON and PC Status is OK and Protected. All green.
    Now, under task manager on the Startup Tab, there is no option to add something to startup.

win10freak, Sep 23, 2016
  13. BRU
    bru Win User

Are you saying that its not in the system tray at all? If you press the "^" does it show the icon there and then you can drag it to the system tray? If yes it is there then there is a simple thing to do to get it to appear in the system tray on its own.

14. Bree New Member
    No amount of playing with icon visibility settings will make Defender appear in the system tray at boot up. Microsoft don't want it to appear until it has something to say - just 'I'm here' apparently isn't worthy of a notification.

Almost from the first day of Windows 10 on 29th July last year, those of us who were used to seeing the reassuring icon of MSE in our system trays have complained that Defender doesn't appear there until it has something to say. Apparently this was by design, MS thought an icon appearing there that didn't have something to announce would be an unnecessary distraction.

edit: apparently MS have heard us. I'm told that in 1607 it does appear at startup (thanks, @bru)

The easiest way to get its icon to appear at startup is the manual one: open Defender yourself, this puts the icon there, where it will remain after you close it. Pin Defender to the taskbar to help you find it quickly.

The automatic way to get it there when you log on is to run the command:
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe"
    Either have this as a shortcut in your startup folder or put it in the registry at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

15. BRU
    bru Win User
    There's an easier way. Well actually two.

1. Upgrade to 1607. The new Defender icon (a shield) shows at start up.
    2. In 1511 you need to add it to the startup folder. I'll try and find the steps, its easy.

Thema:

1. Windows Defender icon not showing when system starts up - Similar Threads - Defender icon showing

2. Windows Defender icon not showing up in ^ menu of taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender icon not showing up in ^ menu of taskbar: Just fixed a few problems with malware and Windows Defender being disabled. Real time protection is on and everything seems to be working perfectly fine now, but the Windows Defender icon isn't showing in the ^ menu of the taskbar. Is this a problem? I can't remember if it...
  3. people icon not showing up in the start menu

people icon not showing up in the start menu: The people icon is not showing up in the start menu. The people app is installed but the icon is not showing up in the start menu. How to get it to appear in the start menu?[ATTACH]...
  4. OneDrive icon not showing up in system tray........

OneDrive icon not showing up in system tray........: Good afternoon, My onedrive icon isn't showing in the system tray by the clock on the task bar. Also, some files have been trying to sync for days and i get some error messages when i try to open files and it states that that file can't be viewed but it is the correct...
  5. No icons showing up when searching for programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No icons showing up when searching for programs: Hello! I'm Andreas and I've encountered a weird problem when searching for my applications after a normal restart of the system. For example, when I search for Steam, this is what I see: [ATTACH] I'm on Windows 10 Home 1909 version 18363.836. Thanks in advance!...
  6. Is there a fix to icons not showing up when searching via start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a fix to icons not showing up when searching via start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheGoshDamnBatman [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/glkjwo/is_there_a_fix_to_icons_not_showing_up_when/
  7. START MENU ICONS ARE NOT SHOWING UP AFTER THE WINDOWS 10 1909 UPDATE [SYSTEM ICONS OR...

in Cortana
    START MENU ICONS ARE NOT SHOWING UP AFTER THE WINDOWS 10 1909 UPDATE [SYSTEM ICONS OR...: After I updated my Windows from 1809 to 1909 some of my Pre-installed system software icons are not showing up on the start menu. Please someone guide me to get icons back . Here is the screenshot [IMG]...
  8. Wifi icon not showing up in systems tray

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi icon not showing up in systems tray: Windows 10 Home Version 1703 OS Build 15063.608 Hi, my wifi icon is not showing up in my systems tray. [ATTACH] (It's not even in the expanded menu, and I have show network icon turned on.) [ATTACH] Additionally, at the network and internet section of my settings page,...
  9. Wifi icon not showing up in systems tray

in Windows 10 Support
    Wifi icon not showing up in systems tray: Windows 10 Home Version 1703 OS Build 15063.608 Hi, my wifi icon is not showing up in my systems tray. https://i.imgur.com/iA9thDM.png (It's not even in the expanded menu, and I have show network icon turned on.) https://i.imgur.com/ofmLdHr.png Additionally, at the network...
  10. Windows Defender System Tray Icon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender System Tray Icon: Currently, I have the Windows Defender System Tray icon with an exclamation point on it --- When I open the program to see what actions are needed, there are none to be acted upon --- So I should get the green checkmark when I restart, but still, the exclamation point is...