Windows 10: Windows Defender improves in new antivirus test

Discus and support Windows Defender improves in new antivirus test in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I do regular scans with SuperAntiSpyWare, MBM and Avast. I'm just curious, why do you do regular scans? I really only have Windows Defender and once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Clam Win User

Windows Defender improves in new antivirus test

I'm just curious, why do you do regular scans? I really only have Windows Defender and once in two-three months (if even that) scan it with something like Malwarebytes and that's about it. Do you often visit websites that aren't well known / possibly unsafe? Or do you have multiple people using your PC?

Just trying to figure out why so many people are protecting themselves with multiple programs when built-in MSE (Ok, Windows Defender) is just about enough to handle stuff for most normal users.

For example, this thread just reminded me and I downloaded Malwarebytes software, installed, updated & ran a scan and this is the result:

Windows Defender improves in new antivirus test [​IMG]

And I use my PC A LOT, 24/7 connected to internet, browsing a ton etc.

2. Uilly Win User

Better protection against malware and viruses and the like are the reasons I favour using third-party
    AV software on my PC. You can do a 1001 scans with something basic, but it only takes just one
    infection, to turn your PC into a pile of junk... it is always best to reduce that chance.

I will add that I have always favoured and used over the last seventeen years, third-party
    software whenever possible, for everything on my PC.

Uilly, Jan 28, 2016
  3. Winuser Win User
    Did you try running SuperAntiSpyware after running WD and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware? No program detects all of it. You don't have to surf dangerous site to get loaded up with useless junk.

Winuser, Jan 29, 2016
  4. Jairus24 Win User

I dropped Avast since Windows 8 and just used Defender, I only had minor infections coming from flash disk inserted from another computer when some of my family members borrowed my PC but I never had any major malware problem since then. It all really comes down to how careful you use the internet and external drives.

Jairus24, Jan 29, 2016
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Picky, picky. . .*Smile. . .I think most of us understood what he was saying. . .*really

6. theok Win User
    still looks like it's bringing up the rear to me, protection wise, big boy wise.

theok, Jan 29, 2016
  7. JP56 Win User
    I have three Win 10 machines. One has WD running, one has AVG free, one Kaspersky. The only one that has actively prevented malware from getting on my machine is the one running Kaspersky. The others aren't as upfront - they often allow malware to start to run before stopping it. Kaspersky just plain stops it. I can see it in the logs - emails with viral attachments, spam email, suspicious webpages, etc etc. Every time, Kaspersky is the one that just works. I don't browse dangerously, I don't adopt unsafe email practices.

8. Windows Defender improves in new antivirus test

Well even AV-Comparatives scores jumped from usual 80% to 94%, but it is still the lowest from well known brands.
    ANyway, if it continues this way and even resolves problems with high CPU/HDD usage, it might get interesting.

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender improves in new antivirus test - Similar Threads - Defender improves antivirus

2. Windows 10: Chrome to get new antivirus and dark mode improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Chrome to get new antivirus and dark mode improvements: Chromium-based web browsers – Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome – can now run smoothly on Windows 10 when antivirus tools are activated, thanks to a new Chromium update. According to Google engineer Bruce Dawson, certain browser functions may not work properly when your...
  3. Windows Defender Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Antivirus: I uninstalled my antivirus software which is mcafee live safe and Windows defender antivirus did not become active automatically. I can't find a way to re enable it. [ATTACH]...
  4. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: hi, in my windows defender security center's virus and threat protection it says "Your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". How can i change it....
  5. Microsoft tests new improvements for Chromium on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft tests new improvements for Chromium on Windows 10: Chromium-based Edge has received enhancements in the latest updates, and Microsoft is working on several other improvements including the introduction of default modern styling for HTML elements. A week-old commit reveals that Microsoft has added support for adjusting the...
  6. Microsoft tests new improvements for Windows 10 19H2

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft tests new improvements for Windows 10 19H2: Microsoft has recently commenced the development of Windows 10 19H2, the fall 2019 update for the OS. Today, Microsoft has rolled out the second preview of Windows 10 19H2 to the Insiders and it comes with notable improvements, including support for voice assistants on the...
  7. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: my pc windows defender antivirus suddenly stoppped. i tried to turn it on or even restarting but its denying .its always displaying a "out of date" message .i am trying to update it but no progress...
  8. Windows Defender Antivirus

Windows Defender Antivirus: The scan found a trojan virus and to remove it is asking for my password which I enter and it doesnot accept https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/windows-defender-antivirus/ced9f7a5-7bb6-44fe-8b92-20909e49f6ea
  9. Microsoft is testing a new and improved product page for Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing a new and improved product page for Windows 10 Store: Microsoft appears to be testing some changes for the Microsoft Store in Windows 10 with select Insiders. The latest update brings some UI changes to apps and games product page. The new look of Microsoft Store Microsoft has tweaked the product page for PCs. The company has...
  10. Windows Defender has improved its performance in latest antivirus tests

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Defender has improved its performance in latest antivirus tests: Windows Defender is getting better with every single update and according to the most recent antivirus test, the Microsoft has once again managed to improve the performance of Windows 10’s built-in antivirus. Microsoft has published a blog post to praise the capabilities of...