Windows 10: Windows Defender - is it THAT good?

Discus and support Windows Defender - is it THAT good? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Until fairly recently, I have always used a third party AV program (have used both free and paid for programs) In addition I have used malwarebytes... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Skofab, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Skofab Win User

Windows Defender - is it THAT good?

Until fairly recently, I have always used a third party AV program (have used both free and paid for programs)
    In addition I have used malwarebytes free, and the occasional use of ADWCleaner.

Since going entirely to Windows defender, I have never had a report of malware or PUP's etc from the two additional items.
    Has the exclusive use of defender really contributed to this degree, OR has Defender somehow negated the other two programs? Malwarebytes free does not of course operate in real time.
    Another noted change is the ease in which I can use online banking, whereas with a third party program, I ran into frequent difficulties.
    Would be interested in others experiences of this 'possible' success of Defender.

:)

Skofab, Jul 25, 2017

2. Defender, is it that good?

Yes, Defender has been tested by several antivirus testing sites, and though not always the top performer is well near the top that you can save money by just using Defender.

Also, it's more about practicing safe interneting than the software that you use.

Solar-Eclipse, Jul 25, 2017
  3. Wickiwiz Win User
    Defender, is it that good?

Hi, My AVG antivirus is up for renewal next month, costing nearly £70. I have been told it will be the top grade program at no extra. Is Defender as good as this please? It seems that the 1709 update, ( when it works) includes an enhanced antivirus and other
    things which are covered by AVG. Also is Windows 7 covered by Defender in the same way? I cannot get domestic management to update to W10.

Thanks

Wickiwiz, Jul 25, 2017
  4. xpktv2000 Win User

Windows Defender + Malwarebyte Antimalware = Protected

It all depends on your surfing habit. Why are you using internet for? What kinds of websites you visit ? What types of files you download?

In my case Windows Dedender is doing a wonderful job of detecting as well as taking or notifying the recommended action. No need to run realtime protection of Malwarebyte Antimalware , just use as a free version. Below are the images of Windows Defender Full History , or simplt install the recently launched kaspersky free antivirus and forget everything.

Windows Defender - is it THAT good? [​IMG]

xpktv2000, Jul 25, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
  6. Skofab Win User
    Thank for the response guys.
    I was very interested to see xpktv's history log - so looked for mine...Nothing Showing!
    I then checked three other W10 machines that I use, again Nothing. " 2 are on Windows 10 32 bit - the other 2 on 64 bit. Any ideas guys why this info is missing?

Skofab, Jul 25, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Because you don't swim in shark-infested waters like xpktv *Biggrin

Mine was empty too, until I deliberately tested it just now...

You can generate the EICAR test file by following the instruction here, if you like.
    Intended use ° EICAR - European Expert Group for IT-Security

8. Skofab Win User

Thanks Bree - had totally forgotten the eicar aspect.
    I ran, and sure enough Defender immediately stepped in*Smile and the log recorded the event.

On the basis that pre Defender 3rd party AV's allowed many little pup's etc to show, and . I haven't changed my internet habits at all - I can only assume that Defender IS 'doing the business very efficiently'.
    Thanks guys for your time and responses

Skofab, Jul 25, 2017
  9. xpktv2000 Win User

xpktv2000, Jul 25, 2017
  10. Only Thing that i'm not sure on with Defender myself, If I do enable it and stop using 3rd party av, what if a program needs Real Time Protection turned off once Block at First sight enabled, I got one game that requires it off on clean installs, then turned back on after the game files excluded after exiting it after first run to build inventory cache, and when the program updates requires the same.

Machine also felt a little slow last time I ran Defender on this 8 Core AMD FX system, unless it was issues with Avast left overs, and maybe i'll just wait to try it again til after clean install of Fall Creators update

AMDMan2016, Jul 26, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    I have the AU, Kaspersky anti-virus and Defender limited periodic scanning enabled. I'm wondering why I don't see that Defender full history report, not even an empty report.

Steve C, Jul 26, 2017
  12. CountMike New Member
  13. Windows Defender - is it THAT good?

My Windows Defender has not detected a single threat for over a year, probably because I have not done the following:

Matthew Wai, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender - is it THAT good? - Similar Threads - Defender

2. I have a message on my PC that says my computer is blocked by windows defender and to call...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a message on my PC that says my computer is blocked by windows defender and to call...: My PC is locked up. Says it is Windows defender security center and to call 1-888-318-9325. I'm sure it's a scam but how do I get out of it?...
  3. I have a message on my PC that says my computer is blocked by windows defender and to call...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a message on my PC that says my computer is blocked by windows defender and to call...: My PC is locked up. Says it is Windows defender security center and to call 1-888-318-9325. I'm sure it's a scam but how do I get out of it?...
  4. I turned off defender to install some software and then deffender no longer turns on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I turned off defender to install some software and then deffender no longer turns on: I even removed the software that i turned Defender off, still no good It shows That I have another anti-virus but I have no other anti-virus installed than Defender I am also attaching an image...
  5. I turned off defender to install some software and then deffender no longer turns on

I turned off defender to install some software and then deffender no longer turns on: I even removed the software that i turned Defender off, still no good It shows That I have another anti-virus but I have no other anti-virus installed than Defender I am also attaching an image...
  6. I can't access defender files because of admin issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't access defender files because of admin issues: I accidentally accepted PUADlManager:Win32/Snackarcin on my device, and I want to purge it off of my device. I followed the steps a support staff at microsoft gave me. Then I hit a wall no matter what I try I can't get into the scans files because only admin can get into it,...
  7. I can't access defender files because of admin issues

I can't access defender files because of admin issues: I accidentally accepted PUADlManager:Win32/Snackarcin on my device, and I want to purge it off of my device. I followed the steps a support staff at microsoft gave me. Then I hit a wall no matter what I try I can't get into the scans files because only admin can get into it,...
  8. Defender FullScanRequired = False

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender FullScanRequired = False: When I check the defender setting on my system using the powershell command Get-MpComputerStatus I see that the following settings for full scan. I haven't been able to find much info on why it shows my FullScanRequired = False and how to change it. I even tried...
  9. Defender FullScanRequired = False

Defender FullScanRequired = False: When I check the defender setting on my system using the powershell command Get-MpComputerStatus I see that the following settings for full scan. I haven't been able to find much info on why it shows my FullScanRequired = False and how to change it. I even tried...
  10. How do I enable Windows firewall Defender by using command prompt? Error code 10107

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I enable Windows firewall Defender by using command prompt? Error code 10107: Windows Firewall Defender stop my computer from using Internet. I also tried to resolve the problem using command prompt I typed "netsh advfirewall set profiles state on" to enable firewall,but there was an error code 10107 fail to start. Please help me with this problem.I...