Windows 10: Windows Defender letting me down

Discus and support Windows Defender letting me down in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey guys, Like everybody else i am on Build 14946. Since yesterday i get a notification "found some malware ...Windows Defenders removing it".... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jeffrys, Oct 16, 2016.

1. jeffrys Win User

Windows Defender letting me down

Hey guys,

Like everybody else i am on Build 14946.

Since yesterday i get a notification "found some malware ...Windows Defenders removing it".

Strange because i installed AVG antivirus, let it run and nothing found.

Add to remove AVG, because it interferes with mails coming in.

The same mails as the day before keep coming back. This aside, what bothers me is that Windows Defender cannot "remove" a virus, so i was thinking....maybe there is no virus...

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Jeff

:)

jeffrys, Oct 16, 2016

2. Windows Defender Let Me Down Big Time - Disappointment

Rob, I appreciate your thoughtful reply, but just for the record the adware you referred to was from a post I made back in 2015 on another computer altogether and didn't at all refer to my current situation.

The symptom I was having starting in January 2017 was that my computer, unattended, was using massive amounts of bandwidth. Coincidentally this started after I had a new modem installed. I wasn't made aware of it until my data limit was exceeded in March.
    Perhaps someone more technically proficient would have quickly identified the problem as malware and gone to the malware prevention tips page you refer to, but I didn't. I assumed, wrongly, that malware was a less likely scenario because I was running Defender.

I stand by my opinion that Windows Defender should have detected the malware in the first place, but even if it didn't, should have identified the malware when running multiple scans. Had it done that I never would have had to call Geek Squad.

The desktop I'm running is a year old, purchased new, running Windows 10 Pro and the Microsoft Windows Office Suite. Based on the Microsoft's recommendation, I only ran Defender. This is used for business - the only software ever loaded on it was paid-for
    software - never any freeware or adware.

The good news is the problem appears to have been fixed upon the removal of the malware and I appreciate your comments.

SallyJankowski, Oct 16, 2016
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Windows Defender Let Me Down Big Time - Disappointment

Sally,

It appears that the configuration for this option has been removed from the Creators Update, which I hadn't noticed until I went looking for you.

I'm checking with others to try and determine whether this is a known change and also whether this may now be the default configuration for Defender.

I'll return and let you know once I hear anything definitive.

Rob

Rob Koch, Oct 16, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

You want to use another tool to perform a one-time scan on your system Something like Trend Micro Housecall or the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Please download one or the other, then run a scan and let us know if it finds anything.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Open an elevated command-prompt and run Powershell from there. Use these commands to show what is detected.

Get-MpThreat
    Get-MpThreatDetection

eLPuSHeR, Oct 17, 2016
  6. jeffrys Win User
    thanks guys,

will try both, keep yuo posted

Jeff

jeffrys, Oct 17, 2016
  7. jeffrys Win User
    eL,

included what i did get

But see nothing special

Jeff
    Windows Defender letting me down [​IMG]

jeffrys, Oct 17, 2016
  8. jeffrys Win User

Hey Ed,

Only PUP. files where found. No real threads, so it said, but no more messages....

So i am good.

Thanks guys

Jeff

jeffrys, Oct 17, 2016
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    You should run RKILL/AdwCleaner for PUPs to have a second opinion and to be on the safe side.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 18, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Good advice> eLPuSHeR. I hope the OP takes it!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender letting me down - Similar Threads - Defender letting down

2. Windows Defender won't let me install programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender won't let me install programs: Hello!Recently i bought a new computer, running on windows11.As it seems, every time I try to install a program it either deletes it or blocks it from installing, warning me it might have a virus, I've tried installing several different programs and can't still find my way...
  3. Windows Defender won't let me install programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender won't let me install programs: Hello!Recently i bought a new computer, running on windows11.As it seems, every time I try to install a program it either deletes it or blocks it from installing, warning me it might have a virus, I've tried installing several different programs and can't still find my way...
  4. KB5034123 won't me let Shut Down anymore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5034123 won't me let Shut Down anymore?: After I installed the KB5034123 update I restarted and everything seemed fine. If I press shut down in the start menu or press my power button it will restart my system even though it says shutting down. The power button is set to shut down. I have to press the power button...
  5. Come on Microsoft, ya let me down again...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Come on Microsoft, ya let me down again...: Im clicking something and nothing responds, Windows doesn't respond, it's so slow, I'm in steam clicking "Message" and nothing happens, this is the worst problem i have ever had, Microsoft needs a better programmer, Come on, Im about done, This clicking problem is pinching my...
  6. Come on Microsoft, ya let me down again...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Come on Microsoft, ya let me down again...: Im clicking something and nothing responds, Windows doesn't respond, it's so slow, I'm in steam clicking "Message" and nothing happens, this is the worst problem i have ever had, Microsoft needs a better programmer, Come on, Im about done, This clicking problem is pinching my...
  7. Windows defender won't let me allow an application through.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender won't let me allow an application through.: Hello, whenever I try saving a photo from my photo editor it always says I don't have the access to do that. When I go to the notification center which tells me that the application was blocked I click on it. Once windows defender opens it just says there were no recent...
  8. Microsoft defender not letting me remove a virus

Microsoft defender not letting me remove a virus: I have a virus or something on my computer and when I click remove and then take action it just tries to make me do a scan, I have done about 10 scans and it doesn't do anything. I want the virus off my computer....
  9. Windows Defender not letting me add exclusion

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender not letting me add exclusion: This is driving me nuts and I can't find anything anywhere about it, so here goes nothing. My dad (despite me telling multiple times it is not necessary) decided to run a full defender scan on our main house PC. Problem is, one of the mounted drives is our Google Drive...
  10. Windows defender in v1703 does not let me run app

Windows defender in v1703 does not let me run app: Where is the "allow exclusion" in this version of windows? So frustrating. 84137