Windows 10: Windows defender missing from group policy editor

Discus and support Windows defender missing from group policy editor in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Dear tenforums! I've attempted to turn off my windows defender via group policy editing, however; following the guide here on the forums(how to turn... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by knugelknut, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Windows defender missing from group policy editor

Dear tenforums!

I've attempted to turn off my windows defender via group policy editing, however; following the guide here on the forums(how to turn off defender) there is simply no folder/tree with windows defender in the group policy editor.
    I have w10 pro and am able to successfully start gpedit.msc.

any ideas as to why its missing?
    I really dislike the regedit way of disabling/enabling; and thus wish to use gpedit

hope someone care to help out!

cheers

:)

knugelknut, Oct 23, 2015
  2. AlyMdr Win User

Windows 10 Defender not turning on

I have removed the antivirus program from the PC and rebooted, still windows defender not found, the same error message that it is not enabled in the group policy,I also noted in the setting note that Even if you are using another Antivirus program windows
    defender can periodically scan and notify you of threat on your PC?

Is the group policy editor gpedit.msc missing from windows 10 home version?

Thank you.

AlyMdr, Oct 23, 2015
  3. Windows Defender is disabled by Group Policy, but the Group Policy Editor is nowhere to be found.

(I'm asking this on a different computer as other is having serious problems.)

I found out that Windows Defender is disabled by Group Policy, and from research I found that it can be re-enabled by using the Group Policy Editor. The bad part is that when I try to find the Group Policy editor it is nowhere to be found. I have tried every
    known method to locate this editor but to no avail. The computer was Windows 8 but recently was upgraded to Windows 10.

Slytherite, Oct 23, 2015
  4. Windows defender missing from group policy editor

Are you installing another AV in it's place?

If so, it should disable it automatically

garydexter, Oct 25, 2015
  5. No, I only want it for temporary disabling it for short periods of time when security issues is not a concern.
    So there shouldnt be any interaction between WD and a 3rd-party AV causing it to be missing.
    I can see no other reason than simply windows "forgetting" to write it into the policy editor.

knugelknut, Oct 25, 2015
  6. "security issues is not a concern" - that's a very rare occurrence!

does the regedit fix work?

garydexter, Oct 25, 2015
  7. haha, true *Smile but they do occur! atleast in my world.
    yes it does, it even stated that its disabled by group policy(even though its disabled via regedit).
    I thought maybe disabling it and then as i keep it enabled now; that it would cause a policy folder to appear, but this did not happen.

I'll leave the thread open for now. In case anyone has an answer to why its missing *Smile

knugelknut, Oct 25, 2015
  8. Windows defender missing from group policy editor

Well I too have the same problem, but I didn't even disable it via registry or gpedit. Still it shows that it is disabled by group policy. Any help?

Tony Stark, May 23, 2017
  9. Umbra Win User
    If you want disable WinDef , try O&O shutup10 , it disable telemetry, WinDef, Cortana, etc... (must be used in admin account)

Umbra, May 23, 2017
  10. You got it wrong. Windef is already diabled I want to enable it.

Tony Stark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows defender missing from group policy editor

1. Windows defender missing from group policy editor - Similar Threads - defender missing group

2. Missing file in Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing file in Group Policy Editor: Every time I open the Local Group Policy Editor using Windows + R and typing gpedit.msc, I get an error message that says File C:\WINDOWS\PolicyDefinitions\WindowsUpdate.admx cannot be found....
  3. Missing file in Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing file in Group Policy Editor: Every time I open the Local Group Policy Editor using Windows + R and typing gpedit.msc, I get an error message that says File C:\WINDOWS\PolicyDefinitions\WindowsUpdate.admx cannot be found....
  4. Missing file in Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group Policy Editor: So when I go into the group policy editor gpedit.msc my administration templates folder has nothing in it, I have done this in the cmd: regsvr32 gptext.dll and nothing changed. Please tell me how I can fix this problem....
  6. Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Editor: So when I go into the group policy editor gpedit.msc my administration templates folder has nothing in it, I have done this in the cmd: regsvr32 gptext.dll and nothing changed. Please tell me how I can fix this problem....
  7. Missing Group Policy Editor entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Group Policy Editor entries: I am trying to follow these instructions to troubleshoot PS3 controller driver issues: Disable driver signature enforcement [Windows Guide] However, I hit a roadblock. I installed the Group Policy Editor enabler using the .bat file, and then I oped gpedit.msc I navigated...
  8. Group policy editor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Group policy editor: [ATTACH] when i write Gpedit.msc i get this and it's full of errors and I don't like the computer configuration section, I just came out but I don't know how I did it, that is, I don't know if it's my fault or not, I've already looked on the internet but I haven't found...
  9. Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Editor: I just reset my PC trying to fix a perceived problem within group policy editor. After reset, the issue persists. I don't know if it's called a folder or node or container but the name "Administrative Templates" is missing and clicking on ANY object within the unnamed folder...
  10. Group policy editor

in Windows 10 Support
    Group policy editor: Hi, does windows 10 version 1903 remove access to group policy editor? Thank you. 138554

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no defender in administrative templates

2. i dont have windows defender foler in my group policy editor

3. windows defender missing from group policy editor

4. group policy admx windows defender antivirus,
  5. windows defender antivirus missing from group policy,
  6. policies microsoft defender is missing,
  7. missing windows defender antivirus administrative template,
  8. windows defender not showing in a group policy editor,
  9. windows home missing windows defender antivirus in group policy,
  10. windows defender snap in missing from group policy msc,
  11. windows defender missing from policy editor