Windows 10: Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan

Discus and support Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi There, I use Windows Defender on Windows 10 and have never had an issue. However, late last week it stopped performing its daily auto scans. I have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HokieMan, Aug 21, 2016.

1. HokieMan Win User

Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan

Hi There, I use Windows Defender on Windows 10 and have never had an issue. However, late last week it stopped performing its daily auto scans. I have not made any recent changes to my PC and do not use any other real time AV programs. The good news is it still updates its definition files automatically and performs on demand scans without consequence. Thus, I consider this a minor issue but still wonder if others who use Defender have noted this behavior.

Thanks

:)

HokieMan, Aug 21, 2016

2. Windows Defender will no longer perform an offline scan

Windows Defender will no longer perform an offline scan

, how can I fix this?

JesseSmith4, Aug 21, 2016
  3. Problem Updating Windows Defender

no longer possible to update windows in addition to being unable to perform scan as proposed by defender.

DavidRicher, Aug 21, 2016
  4. Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan

Check, if this this task is enabled in Task Scheduler or run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" /Enable

TairikuOkami, Aug 23, 2016
  5. HokieMan Win User
    I have checked Task Scheduler but am not sure where to look to find the referenced task. Sorry as I am new to using this utility.

Please note that I can open Task Scheduler Library - Microsoft - Windows - Windows Defender - The only task not showing as successfully run is Windows Defender Scheduled Scan (It shows (0x2) while all other tasks show (0x0)).The program updates fine and runs on demand without issue. I believe the issue is with MpRunCmd.exe. I would love to know where this file should be located on my pc. It currently resides in C:\Windows\Program Files\Windows Defender. It does not reside in C:\Windows (x86)\Program Files\Windows Defender. This is a 64 bit machine.

HokieMan, Aug 24, 2016
  6. Yes, that is it. Try to setup a random scheduled scan, if it runs or not.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-defender

TairikuOkami, Aug 24, 2016
  7. HokieMan Win User
    I ran the command line text you gave me and then set up a scheduled scan within Task Manager. It ran perfectly!!!
    Thanks so much for your assistance. I am not sure why the task had to be manually scheduled but nonetheless this workaround if effective. Thanks Again!!

HokieMan, Aug 24, 2016
  8. HokieMan Win User

Unfortunately, the auto scan only worked one time after doing this. I will just do one online demand scan each day as there seems to be no solution. Thanks for your help

HokieMan, Aug 26, 2016
  9. *SmileThanks for the heads up . I will have to add manual Win Defender scans in my routine of otherwise bad PC habits.

Among other OEM bloatware short of a clean recovery bloatware free option this PC or maybe win 10 has in general I had to uninstall OEM MaCafee trial bloatware they had turned on and run the cleaner for it on this new OEM HP CTO PC and start up Win defender and download mbam ,Chrome and Firefox ofc.

ofc MaCafee is not on this SSD I put in here for daily driving on 14905 (for now until the next build ) either *sarc

electronuser, Aug 26, 2016
  10. HokieMan Win User
    I didn't have any bloatware to remove since I had a clean install of Win 10 on this PC done at a local PC shop. I guess I am not the only one who doesn't seem to be able to get autoscan function with Win Defender to work

HokieMan, Aug 26, 2016
  11. HokieMan Win User
    Today, I turned off real time protection in Windows Defender and then rebooted my PC. Upon reboot, Defender had turned real time protection back on automatically. I waited awhile and rechecked Defender and noticed that it had finally run an autoscan. Perhaps this is all it took. I hope the autoscan will continue to work properly and I will monitor over the next few days.

HokieMan, Aug 27, 2016
  12. btb601 Win User
    Any updates on this? Still working?

btb601, Oct 29, 2016
  13. HokieMan Win User

Hasn't been working for me for quite a while. Defender autoscans once after each Windows 10 update I receive but not thereafter. After dealing with this issue for so long, I finally resolved just to scan manually each day. Not sure if this still affects others.

HokieMan, Oct 29, 2016
  14. btb601 Win User
    Thanks, I'm having the same issue myself. I was on Norton's back when I received the first preview was released and installed. I had to uninstall that and then with Avira free. Then I recently had to uninstall that and Malwarebytes because my updates would fail. Turned Defender back on and now have to scan manually, but it never finds anything............never. That's like me saying I never sin, so naturally I do not trust Defender IMHO.

I did open up computer management and all it says in there for the scheduled scan is "Ready". Even after I put in the command that TairikuOkami posted.

Anyone have any ideas?

btb601, Oct 30, 2016
  15. Jeddie Win User
    Mine is the same. Defender scheduled scan via automatic maintenance has never worked. See my thread.
    I had to create a Scheduled Task to get the scan to work.

Jeddie, Oct 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan - Similar Threads - Defender Longer Performs

2. I can not perform quick scan in windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can not perform quick scan in windows defender: I can not perform quick scan in windows defender . What I can do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/i-can-not-perform-quick-scan-in-windows-defender/eb86ae44-fa39-4cc5-8263-09b9f237c194
  3. Windows Defender found a problem that no longer exists

Windows Defender found a problem that no longer exists: So windows found a threat, one I tried to get it to remove but it failed to do so so i went to the file location and deleted it manually. Windows defender however is still saying it is a threat, but is also still unable to remove it. What should I do?...
  4. windows 10 will no longer update and windows defender is gone

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 will no longer update and windows defender is gone: I am getting the 0x80080005 error after correcting the 0x80070057 one I have gone through several methods to correct this issue including using DISM and SFC but the system is reporting that the Windef and wuauserv are both missing so they cannot be started. I have not...
  5. Windows Defender Offline Scan no longer working

Windows Defender Offline Scan no longer working: Greetings, I recently suspected that my computer may be infected with a virus so I ran both a full system from defender as well as a scan from Malwarbytes and they came up clean. I decided to run an The offline scan as well. It seemed to be working so I walked away and...
  6. windows defender is no longer installed and cant find it

windows defender is no longer installed and cant find it: windows defender is no longer installed on my windows 10 and restoring my system does not reinstall it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-is-no-longer-installed-and-cant/97fafff4-13bb-4cda-b8f0-3c5dcfb02769
  7. Win Defender performance and gaming rigs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win Defender performance and gaming rigs: Hello. I have been doing some benchmarks while playing Grim Dawn (I know this game is famous for hating hyperthreading) and found out that General performance (for cpu, disk, etc) with Windows Defender (w10 v1809 17763.134) is 10% slower when compared to AVAST for instance....
  8. Windows Defender Device Performance and Health issues

Windows Defender Device Performance and Health issues: I noticed today that my Windows Defender had the yellow warning symbol that Actions Recommended. So I went to the Windows Defender Device Performance and Health control panel and I ran the Troubleshooter and detected that my Temporary Internet Files are in a different...
  9. Windows Defender Device Performance and Health issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Defender Device Performance and Health issues: I noticed today that my Windows Defender had the yellow warning symbol that Actions Recommended. So I went to the Windows Defender Device Performance and Health control panel and I ran the Troubleshooter and detected that my Temporary Internet Files are in a different...
  10. Windows Defender takes longer time to scan

Windows Defender takes longer time to scan: Hello! after the upgrade of windows 10, I tried to run a full scan, but it took 6 hours and it hasn't trepasses the 50% of the scan progress. in addition, I can't see what is being scanned like in the older version of Windows Defender; 90456

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender no longer performs autoscan