Windows 10: Windows Defender not disabled "correctly" after installing KIS 2017

Discus and support Windows Defender not disabled "correctly" after installing KIS 2017 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello to everyone. I have been using Windows Defender as my antivirus software for some time but i recently decided to switch into a better one so i... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Crywolf, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Crywolf Win User

Windows Defender not disabled "correctly" after installing KIS 2017

Hello to everyone. I have been using Windows Defender as my antivirus software for some time but i recently decided to switch into a better one so i installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2017. Even though the installation was successful and Kaspersky works fine with no issues, i have a strange problem. It seems that Windows Defender was not disabled "correctly". I dont know how else to describe it. I was still having its icon in the taskbar, with a red indication saying "in danger" (or at least a similar one.i dont have an english version of windows so i m just translating what it was indicating). In order to get rid of it, i had to open the task manager and manually disable the windows defender notification from processes and startup tab. It doesnt seem to be running though because when i checked in Services, it was not activated and also in Windows Defender section in settings it says its disabled. Even though it is not running, Windows Update still detects virus definitions for Windows Defender and unsucessfully tries to install them every time it checks for updates. Has anyone faced this strange issue? How do i stop it?
    I have Windows 10 Pro x64 (with the Anniversary update)

:)

Crywolf, Sep 11, 2016

2. Windows Defender won't shut off. W10.

If Kaspersky was properly registered to Windows, Defender would have been disabled. Your manual solution may have resolved it, but the root cause remains. I'd be concerned that KIS was not properly functioning.

-steve

Stephen Boots, Sep 11, 2016
  3. freemk Win User
    Windows Defender won't shut off. W10.

Hi,

I also use Kaspersky (KIS 2015) and also had the problem, that it did not disable Windows Defender. I always played with an entry in the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]"DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001

which disabled Defender but brought the problem that Windows Update downloaded Defender-Updates and could not install them. So I was dissatisfied and could not understand, why KIS wasn 't able to disable Windows Defender the normal way and without secondary
    problems. So I found out that my fault was, that I assumed, that enabling Defender meant to use the dword 0 instead of 1.

But this means, enable Windows Defender, no matter what. So Kaspersky is not allowed to disable Defender. The solution is, not to use dword 0 but to delete the whole entry "DisableAntiSpyware". This means that this entry is "not defined", which is something
    else, than "enabled" (1) oder "disabled" (0) and is the default setting.

Maybe this helps some people out there,

Yours,

MK

freemk, Sep 11, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Crywolf...welcome to the forum
    See Attachment....Note highlights....turned on or off.

dencal, Sep 11, 2016
  5. Crywolf Win User
    Hello Dencal. Well this is exactly what it shows me if i go to the Windows Defender tab in Settings. It says that Windows Defender is turned off and the limited periodic scanning is off.

Crywolf, Sep 11, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    dencal, Sep 11, 2016
  7. Crywolf Win User
    Problem solved. I followed the link you sent me and i guess now Windows Defender is "properly" deactivated because when i go to Windows Update, it no longer finds Definition Updates for it. Thank you for the help.

Crywolf, Sep 11, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

Glad to see you have got it sorted....thanks should go to Brink our Admin.

dencal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender not disabled "correctly" after installing KIS 2017 - Similar Threads - Defender disabled correctly

2. Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...: Hello,When trying to secure my computer, I found an article suggesting to install the Windows security baseline found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55319Now, this is one of the worst things anyone can do to their personal computer. Most of the...
  3. Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender disabled features after installing the Security Compliance Toolkit and...: Hello,When trying to secure my computer, I found an article suggesting to install the Windows security baseline found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55319Now, this is one of the worst things anyone can do to their personal computer. Most of the...
  4. Install Windows 11 with Windows Defender disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 11 with Windows Defender disabled: I've permanently disabled Windows Defender methods, by removing the permissions to the ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows%20Defender folder. I've already downloaded Windows 11 and am now installing it.It seems like some Windows Defender updates are failing, will this stop me from...
  5. Install Windows 11 with Windows Defender disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 11 with Windows Defender disabled: I've permanently disabled Windows Defender methods, by removing the permissions to the ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows%20Defender folder. I've already downloaded Windows 11 and am now installing it.It seems like some Windows Defender updates are failing, will this stop me from...
  6. ShutDown Freezes After Updating KIS

in Windows 10 Support
    ShutDown Freezes After Updating KIS: Hello. After updating to the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security and Zemana AntiMalwarre, when I try to shutdown the PC it freezes at "Stopping Services" white type against a blue background. Any suggestions as to how to solve this will be most appreciated. Thank...
  7. KIS Total v Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    KIS Total v Defender: My Kaspersky Total Security 2019 runs out end May but they want nearly double what I paid last time, so shopping around. I know everyone has preferences but what I am looking at is Effectiveness/Price/Users. Those that I have looked at are comparable in price to KIS, and...
  8. Windows Defender still active after disabling

Windows Defender still active after disabling: I have to go through this everytime I have to refresh Windows 10. Windows Defender is the absolute worst piece of malware I've ever encountered. Every attempt I make to disable it, it keeps coming back like a bad case of acne. I do not want, nor do I need, any type of...
  9. Windows Defender still active after disabling

Windows Defender still active after disabling: I have to go through this everytime I have to refresh Windows 10. Windows Defender is the absolute worst piece of malware I've ever encountered. Every attempt I make to disable it, it keeps coming back like a bad case of acne. I do not want, nor do I need, any type of...
  10. Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2017 Issues

Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2017 Issues: I just upgraded to KIS 2017 v17.0.0.116(a) using Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.105. I find Safe Money doesn't work - I get an orange border with the message “Driver for protection against screen shots is disabled”. But it is enabled and virtualisation is on....