Windows 10: Windows Defender not working after rollback

Discus and support Windows Defender not working after rollback in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As of this morning, Windows Defender is unable to function properly after rolling back from a Skip Ahead build. Here are some screens. Real time... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KiwiBird97, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Windows Defender not working after rollback

As of this morning, Windows Defender is unable to function properly after rolling back from a Skip Ahead build. Here are some screens.

Real time protection is off and greyed out.

Windows Defender not working after rollback 69fd90b5-cffd-4811-88c2-2f1ba3b67cfd?upload=true.png

This screen shows that the version information is all blank, which isn't supposed to happen.

Windows Defender not working after rollback [​IMG]

Upon trying to start Defender from Services, it throws this error:

"Windows could not start the Windows Defender XXX Service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

Steps Taken

1. I opened up the Properties for each of the Windows Defender Services. The path to the executable is "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1806.18062-0\YYY.exe", where YYY is the executable file.
      MsMpEng.exe: Antivirus Service
      NisSrv.exe: Antivirus Network Inspection Service
    2. In Windows Explorer, however, the path name is "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.1807.18075-0".
    3. Since the platform version numbers mismatch (4.18.1806.18602-0 and 4.18.1807.18075-0), the Error 2 pops up.

Can you please help on what is going wrong here?

:)

KiwiBird97, Aug 6, 2018

2. Windows Rollback - it works!

Insider Hub: Known issues
    It is intentional for the 9926 release - they must be working on WinRE and it wasn't ready in time.

Windows Defender not working after rollback [​IMG]

Slartybart, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Issues with Windows defender after upgraded to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

To begin with troubleshooting I would like you to answer the following question:

• How did you perform upgrade? Is it through update or through media creation tool?

I suggest you to check the latest version of Windows defender by clicking on
    Settings>update and security>Windows defender.

If latest version is installed and still its not working then
    I suggest you to run Windows Update Troubleshooter

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
      • Select Troubleshooting.
      • Select View all on the top left corner.
      • Click on windows update.
      • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If you have performed upgradation through media creation tool then there is no option to rollback. But if you upgrade through Windows update you can roll back by clicking on
    Settings>update and security>recovery>rollback.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Windows Defender not working after rollback

Windows Defender Not Working in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender not working after rollback

1. Windows Defender not working after rollback - Similar Threads - Defender working rollback

2. windows 10: fingerprint driver not working after rollback from windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10: fingerprint driver not working after rollback from windows 11: Model: ASUS Vivobook 14 X412FLC.303I went back to win10 because I didn't like win11. Then the fingerprint driver started to act up. I followed the instructions on the asus site and updated/ reinstalled the fingerprint driver to no avail....
  3. windows 10: fingerprint driver not working after rollback from windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10: fingerprint driver not working after rollback from windows 11: Model: ASUS Vivobook 14 X412FLC.303I went back to win10 because I didn't like win11. Then the fingerprint driver started to act up. I followed the instructions on the asus site and updated/ reinstalled the fingerprint driver to no avail....
  4. windows 10: fingerprint driver not working after rollback from windows 11

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows defender not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender not working after update: My computer pulled in updates a few days ago, and now windows defender isn't working. It says that the threat service has stopped. Restart it now. I clicked the button, and waited. it then threw an error. I ran a scan with another program, and came up clean. How can i fix...
  6. Windows won't boot after driver update and rollback doesn't work

Windows won't boot after driver update and rollback doesn't work: Recently, I tried updating the driver for my graphics card. When I restart my PC to complete the process, windows 10 won't boot up. All I get to see is a grey screen with my mouse moving around it. Naturally I figure this is just a problem with my driver and a simple system...
  7. Windows Rollback

Windows Rollback: Long story short. I had a big program installing on my Machine, it had some sort of error during the installation and I then stopped it, let the installer roll back the changes, and ever since then I have not been able to get applications to run. The executable files react...
  8. Windows Defender not working after update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not working after update: After I recently updated windows, I had a few problems like -a black screen after sign-in -80-100% cpu usage on idle -Windows Defender crashing when I open it -No sound from the speakers So i reset my PC keeping my personal files, which did absolutely nothing. I fixed...
  9. 1809 wifi not working after update to 1903 failed then rollback

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1809 wifi not working after update to 1903 failed then rollback: Asus Vivotab Note 8 (M80TA) tablets: Atom CPU Z3740 1.33 GHz processors I have 2 machines: 1 x 32gb and 1 x 64gb. Machines are otherwise identical. Going from a start-point where both machines worked perfectly on 1809. On the 64gb machine 1903 installed with no problems....
  10. Windows Rollback - it works!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Rollback - it works!: I installed this latest version of TP (9926). Install worked just fine as a upgrade to W8.1. But I don't like it at all at this point in time and this was on my very used Yoga 2 Pro. So today I rebooted the machine and saw that it had the rollback as an option on the boot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform empty

2. Problem defender programdata microsoft windows defender platform empty