Windows 10: Windows Defender or 3rd party?

Discus and support Windows Defender or 3rd party? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Ordinary PC, running Windows 10 Professional ver 1803 I run some Adobe software. And it has a few performance issues. When I related the situation in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GracieAllen, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Windows Defender or 3rd party?

Ordinary PC, running Windows 10 Professional ver 1803

I run some Adobe software. And it has a few performance issues. When I related the situation in the Adobe forum, they recommended completely shutting off whatever antivirus I'm using to see if that fixed the problem.
    Which in this case would be Windows Defender.

I don't appear to be able to. The only thing I appear to be able to turn off is the real-time protection, but there are at least 3 - 4 services on the box I can't stop. And every time I reboot the box Windows Defender real-time protection turns on again...

So, HOW do I actually shut down Windows Defender so it STAYS shut down 'til I'm ready to turn it on again?

AND, just on the small chance the software DOES run significantly better with Windows Defender off, how do I tell WD NOT to mess with the hard drives, files, cache, software, or anything else associated with the Adobe product I'm running?

If I CAN'T customize WD, what 3rd party A/V is good this week? I looked at the free version of Avast (which was the most frequently recommended), but I'd rather not spend the next week trying to customize it so it does what I want without doing anything stupid or annoying. And will it turn off Windows Defender automatically?

Thoughts?

:)

GracieAllen, Jul 31, 2018
  2. Le Boule Win User

3rd party AV program

The message you are describing may be observed if another antivirus program is still installed or there are remnants of a third party antivirus program still installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b59cebc4f24/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device."

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in Windows Defender

You may want to try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include running SFC, scanning for malware with Malwarebytes and running the software removal tools for any security software (Avast,
    AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

And see Configure Windows Defender in Windows
    8, 8.1 and 10

If you can't resolve this issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them.

Le Boule, Jul 31, 2018
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Windows Mail and 3rd party messages

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please assist me with the following information related to this issue:

• May I know what exactly do you mean when you say "download messages from 3rd party into Windows Mail"?
    • Are you referring to Mail app on Windows 10? If so, are you able to receive any send email via Mail app?

If you are facing issues with Mail app, I suggest
    run the in-built Windows Store app troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X..

• Click on Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• On the left pane, click on View All.

• Click on Windows Store apps to run the troubleshooter.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

Yaqub K, Jul 31, 2018
  4. LAS
    las Win User

Windows Defender or 3rd party?

Better free alternative to microsoft defender?

Bitdefender or Kaspersky is the only 3rd party I would use and recommend.
    Window Defender on Windows 10 has improved alot tho. Tops independant tests these days. I'm not using 3rd party AV anymore.
    Brain + Defender is enough for me.

Thema:

Windows Defender or 3rd party?

1. Windows Defender or 3rd party? - Similar Threads - Defender 3rd party

2. 3rd party antivirus is turned on but windows defender is turned on to.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    3rd party antivirus is turned on but windows defender is turned on to.: Hi Microsoft i have a problem with Windows defender that say microsoft defneder is turned on and my 3rd party antivirus is turned on. normally my 3rd party antivirus is turned on and microsoft defender is turned off but for some reason microsoft defender turns on when my 3rd...
  3. Enable Windows Defender with 3rd party Malware solution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable Windows Defender with 3rd party Malware solution: Greetings,Windows defender real-time protection got disabled after detecting a new 3rd party malware/ransomware software. Even thought the 3rd party ISN'T and anti-virus.We've already tried to force enable the windows defender through GPO and Registry.Any sugestion is welcome...
  4. Enable Windows Defender with 3rd party Malware solution

Enable Windows Defender with 3rd party Malware solution: Greetings,Windows defender real-time protection got disabled after detecting a new 3rd party malware/ransomware software. Even thought the 3rd party ISN'T and anti-virus.We've already tried to force enable the windows defender through GPO and Registry.Any sugestion is welcome...
  5. Windows Defender running with 3rd party software

Windows Defender running with 3rd party software: Had to reset my PC recently to try and solve a Microsoft Update issue, didn`t resolve it. But recently noticed that in security center, "where it did state that my 3rd party software name was protecting my pc" now it just shows - This is Defender running. Although when go to...
  6. Windows Defender running with 3rd party software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender running with 3rd party software: Had to reset my PC recently to try and solve a Microsoft Update issue, didn`t resolve it. But recently noticed that in security center, "where it did state that my 3rd party software name was protecting my pc" now it just shows - This is Defender running. Although when go to...
  7. Windows Defender running with 3rd party software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Microsoft Defender and 3rd Party Antivirus:

Microsoft Defender and 3rd Party Antivirus:: If I download a 3rd party antivirus, Microsoft Defender turns itself off. How long can it remain in the off disabled mode before the software becomes outdated/corrupt and will not come back on if or when I uninstall the 3rd party antivirus? Can you leave it disabled for 6...
  9. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?: Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender? I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for...
  10. Security and Maintaince, Windows Defender, and 3rd party security

Security and Maintaince, Windows Defender, and 3rd party security: After accidentally updating to Windows 10 (If you want to know, I was trying to set it up to install a month or so later, but accidentally clicked the "install now" option. It must have been downloading in the background as, half an hour later, my computer restarts and began...