Windows 10: Windows Defender... or should I renew Bitdefender?

Discus and support Windows Defender... or should I renew Bitdefender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I see the last thread on Windows Defender went off topic very quickly. I have have had paid-for Bitdefender installed for a couple of years and it is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rafikiphoto, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Windows Defender... or should I renew Bitdefender?

I see the last thread on Windows Defender went off topic very quickly. I have have had paid-for Bitdefender installed for a couple of years and it is up for renewal soon. I have been wondering if Windows Defender would be an adequate substitute. It's not a matter of cost just that BD is becoming bloated and there are parts that I don't use already. There have been a few occasions when I have had odd problems with programmes on the laptop which turned out to be the Safe Files section blocking the programmes or access to files without giving any real-time indication and I only found out when I saw a reference to a block in Notifications later on. Is Bitdefender still the dog's danglies in the PC security world? Would I be just as well leaving everything to Windows Defender?

:)

rafikiphoto, Dec 2, 2017

2. Should I renew Kaspersky or go with Windows Defender?

You can read this thread which covers a lot of ground with respect to your question:

Windows Defender vs Kaspersky Internet Security

If uninstalling KIS, you need to get its removal tool, and NOT uninstall it from Programs and Features. If choosing Windows security, which costs nothing, I strongly suggest adding another software:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544

This is a free anti-exploit application, specific for flash player and other vulnerable software.

GhettoWonderland, Dec 2, 2017
  3. Should I renew Kaspersky or go with Windows Defender?

As far as which is Secure ... I would have to say they are probably at least equal, as far as stopping any virus, malware ... so far.

`~`

FYI

In case you want to use the in-built Windows Defender you need to uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security and also use the Kaspersky Internet Security removal tool from this list List
    of anti-malware product removal tools
    to get rid of all possible remnants.

After a reboot, Windows Defender should be automatically enabled.

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Dec 2, 2017
  4. BRKKAB Win User

Windows Defender... or should I renew Bitdefender?

I too, have used Bitdefender for 6 years now.
    Personally, Let it expire for a few days and they'll send you a email for something around $20.00 for any of their products.
    Just use Windows Defeender, as your main av, until you get the deal email from Bitdefender.
    Bitdefender always beat's Windows Defender in any av tests done.
    Last January when my Bitdefender Internet Security subscription ended, I waited for the del email from them and got Bitdefender Total Security for $20.00.

BRKKAB, Dec 2, 2017
  5. Thanks for the tip. I'll bear that in mind when the time comes. That seems well worth the wait. As I say, it's not really the cost but the bloat that concerns me. Perhaps a 'Bitdefender Lite' might be what I'm looking for.

rafikiphoto, Dec 2, 2017
  6. Thanks. I'll take a look. What worries me about free versions of AV is the delay in updating. I'll look st Bitdefenders policy on this.

rafikiphoto, Dec 2, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User

Superfly, Dec 2, 2017
  8. BRKKAB Win User
    There isn't any bloat with Bitdender everything in it actually does something.
    Secure Browser for shopping.
    Password Manager.
    If you get Total Security it has disk cleanup toolks and they let you see how much space each thing takes up.
    It's also had Ransomeware Protection since 2016, way before Microsoft had it and it works better.
    I also agree with what you said, you get what you pay for update wise. Better up to date protection.

BRKKAB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender... or should I renew Bitdefender? - Similar Threads - Defender should renew

2. Windows defender subscription renewal scam

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender subscription renewal scam: I unfortunately called the number saying that my windows defender is being renewed and I will be charged for $399. I stupidly give access to my PC and bank account on my laptop. I turne it off when I realized it is a scams. Called my bank and blocked my account. How safe is...
  3. Windows defender subscription renewal scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender subscription renewal scam: I unfortunately called the number saying that my windows defender is being renewed and I will be charged for $399. I stupidly give access to my PC and bank account on my laptop. I turne it off when I realized it is a scams. Called my bank and blocked my account. How safe is...
  4. Windows Defender subscription renewal scam

Windows Defender subscription renewal scam: I stupidly called the number on the email stating that my Windows Defender subscription was renewed and $399.00 would be charged. And to add insult to injury, I followed their every request to open a website where they had control of my laptop and even had me login to my...
  5. windows defender scam. Auto renewal.

windows defender scam. Auto renewal.: How do I stop this or remove anything on my laptop to prevent this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-scam-auto-renewal/820760a5-071f-465e-b8f1-ee8ec63b6522
  6. Windows Defenders renewal scam

Windows Defenders renewal scam: I received an E-mail yesterday from someone claiming to me from Microsoft telling me I was going to be charged my bank account $299.99 for an annual , automatic renewal fee for myMicrosoft Windows Defender program , to protect my computer. When I called the number...
  7. Defender Firewall Renewed

Defender Firewall Renewed: Got an email saying my Defender Firewall subscription was auto renewed for $199.99. I don't have a subscription and how was I charged [Original Title: Defender Firewall...
  8. windows defender renewal

windows defender renewal: I've received numerous calls on my cell phone from different numbers stating that my subscription will expire. I have an older computer with Windows Vista.My Microsoft account will be charged $299.99 unless I call to cancel. Is this legit ?...
  9. Bitdefender Total Security 2019 Renewal Question

Bitdefender Total Security 2019 Renewal Question: I have been pretty happy with Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and plan to renew when my subscription expires. Online chat support is excellent BTW. Right now I have "Total Security" but there is also "Internet Security" Everything in the latter is included in the former....
  10. Stop windows defender so I can install bitdefender

Stop windows defender so I can install bitdefender: How can I stop windows Defender so I can install Bitdefender 61434

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i use bitdefender or stay with windows defender