Windows 10: Windows Defender refusing to run properly

Discus and support Windows Defender refusing to run properly in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I clean installed Creators Update last Sunday and Defender was running fine until today. It refuses to turn on when I press the Turn on Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by swarfega, Apr 4, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Windows Defender refusing to run properly

I clean installed Creators Update last Sunday and Defender was running fine until today.

It refuses to turn on when I press the Turn on Windows Defender Antivirus button in settings.

Windows Defender refusing to run properly [​IMG]

After I've pressed the button, it takes me to this screen:

Windows Defender refusing to run properly [​IMG]

where you can see that the protection section isn't right. Health report says it's not available and there's no update button.

Today I decided to switch to Insider Release Preview ring and I got the two 11 and 13 cumulative updates. I'm guessing that .14 CU is for fast ring.

I am not sure how to fix this and if I can't I'll be switching to Bitdefender Free. Because I do work on this machine I want reliable security.

:)

swarfega, Apr 4, 2017
  2. aajiix Win User

Can't turn on Windows Defender after uninstalling Avira

Just an update that Defender refuses to run also in Safe Mode.

aajiix, Apr 4, 2017
  3. RNDERER Win User
    Lost sleep option on power button with Windows 10 on hp desktop computer.

Windows Defender Smart Screen is refusing to run this program. Is it safe to run anyway? Also I have the HD 4200 series, not 3200. Will hold off for now.

RNDERER, Apr 4, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

There's a known issue in 1607 for a definition update....but for the latest insider preview builds, there's been no reports post on this particular issue. Every one is reporting clean updates. I wonder if it's made the cross over and manifested itself into what you got.

Plankton, Apr 4, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    It's possible. But this is a clean creator's update install.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender refusing to run properly - Similar Threads - Defender refusing run

2. OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly: A couple of weeks ago, OneDrive worked fine for me. Auto-save worked great for all new files, and the subfolders I had set up didnt' seem to confuse the software. Now, suddenly, it's a complete mess. I save PPT and Word docs into folders on OneDrive and Autosave isn't enabled...
  3. OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive refuses to sync and save properly: A couple of weeks ago, OneDrive worked fine for me. Auto-save worked great for all new files, and the subfolders I had set up didnt' seem to confuse the software. Now, suddenly, it's a complete mess. I save PPT and Word docs into folders on OneDrive and Autosave isn't enabled...
  4. Windows Defender is refusing to open and update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender is refusing to open and update: I am working with a friend with a laptop, which was full of malware and some viruses. I have cleaned out lots of questionable programmes and scanned out 86 malware instances with Adwcleaner. I have been unable to open Windows Defender. This latter essential programme...
  5. Start Menu refusing to work properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu refusing to work properly: Recently, my start menu will no longer work. Left clicking the start button does nothing, but right clicking it will open the 'power user menu.' The button on my keyboard also fails to bring the start menu up, but clicking the 'type here to search' or using any keyboard...
  6. Windows refused to run programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows refused to run programs: Hi, Today I can't run certain programs when i clicked them from the task bar such as the Firefox browser. There was a text box message that said "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again"...
  7. Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender Antivirus refuses to update: Hello. I am here with another problem with my laptop. I am using Windows 10 build 1809 too. I want to install build 1909, but as I do so, it does say Windows Defender is pending an update, and after lots of minutes, even almost an hour, it gets stuck on: "Security...
  8. windows defender is refusing to operate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender is refusing to operate: My windows defender is refusing to function https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-is-refusing-to-operate/91a89690-dd1e-45d3-87a6-1135ab47d207
  9. VMware refuses to run Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware refuses to run Windows 10: I have been trying to run Windows 10 on Vmware Player on the latest insider build but I keep running into this error: [img] I have played about with Group Policy to change the status of Device Guard but the error still appears. 134369
  10. Windows defender not working properly

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender not working properly: So I have everything updated on a Matebook x Pro (windows 1803) however it seems that the defender is bugged what should I do? All the settings are grayed out (see the example below) and the scan doesn't work. The service is up and running regularly. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...