Windows 10: Windows Defender says unprotected despite being enabled and updated

Discus and support Windows Defender says unprotected despite being enabled and updated in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Defender says potentially unprotected despite being enabled and up to date and I ran a scan. It just recently had one of the common errors... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Galane, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Galane Win User

Windows Defender says unprotected despite being enabled and updated

Windows Defender says potentially unprotected despite being enabled and up to date and I ran a scan. It just recently had one of the common errors where it failed to update.

:)

Galane, Nov 29, 2016
  2. lnappa Win User

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081436) - Error 0x80200056

Shutting off Real-Time Protection in Windows Defender enabled installation on my machine. However, doing updates unprotected does not feel that good ...

lnappa, Nov 29, 2016
  3. DuckyHere Win User
    Windows Defender won't turn on. Tells me my AV is beinging handled by another program

Windows Defender won't turn on. Tells me my 'real time protection is being handled by another AV program' I only had Msft AVG and I uninstalled it as suggested. Tried several times to get Defender to turn on but the same message remains. The App says my
    'PC status is potentially unprotected'

DuckyHere, Nov 29, 2016
  4. Windows Defender says unprotected despite being enabled and updated

Galane,

Have you used CCleaner recently?

Also, try updating and then running a Scan with WD, and see if the notice goes away.

cottonball, Nov 30, 2016
  5. Galane Win User
    I frequently use CCleaner, and I stated in my post that I had just updated WD and ran a scan and the notice stayed.

[Post Edited]

Galane, Dec 1, 2016
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    The reason cottonball asked you if you ran CCleaner is if you use it on a regular basis, it has a habit of cleaning the Defender log which will make Defender think it hasn't run a scan in a while. When you open CCleaner, click on the Applications tab & make sure Windows Defender is unchecked.

As for failing to update, this happens occasionally. If the problem continues after multiple attempts to update the defs, then you either have malware preventing it or some of your system files are corrupted & you could run a SFC scan to see if there are any problems that can be repaired.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Dec 1, 2016
  7. Pardon me, Galane, but, perhaps, once again updating and then running a Scan with WD, may yield a different error or lead to a different result.

An assumption of my train of thought is the fastest way to getting it wrong.

I will respectfully exit this thread.

cottonball, Dec 2, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

@Galane, Both @cottonball and @Borg 386 are very knowledgeable, experienced and respected members here who are trying to help you. Making rude remarks is not going to get you very much help. Perhaps a better approach would be to follow their requests.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender says unprotected despite being enabled and updated - Similar Threads - Defender says unprotected

2. Cannot enable or update Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot enable or update Windows Defender: How can I enable Virus and threat protection? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-enable-or-update-windows-defender/44ce2bc2-cb66-4165-af2a-daa981fa9de8
  3. Cannot enable or update Windows Defender

Cannot enable or update Windows Defender: How can I enable Virus and threat protection? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/cannot-enable-or-update-windows-defender/44ce2bc2-cb66-4165-af2a-daa981fa9de8
  4. Defender Updating Despite Windows Updates Being On Pause

Defender Updating Despite Windows Updates Being On Pause: So if I have Windows Update paused and Defender is part of Windows why is Defender updating IF updates are paused?Pretty damn angry on this one. My monitor was switched off powered on and I came home to a dead monitor.No power. Cannot turn on. Dead like disco.I am now...
  5. Not showing update despite there being some

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not showing update despite there being some: Hi all. I have recently paused updates but I have now resumed them and it says up to date. However I know I need to get the March update for version 2004 which I was being prompted to up date to before I paused them. Are the any other methods to make windows check for...
  6. Need to stop windows Defender for showing unprotected in windows 8.1.

Need to stop windows Defender for showing unprotected in windows 8.1.: Hello, I use windows defender in windows 8.1 and do a full scan once month, but keep getting the following message that appears at the top of the box in windows Defender pc status unprotected the colour of the is yellow, pc protected and the colour of the box is green but...
  7. Windows Saying Ethernet is not Connected Despite Being Able to Use the Internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Saying Ethernet is not Connected Despite Being Able to Use the Internet: Recently I just built a pc with an ASUS mobo. I got a new m.2 and decided to do a fresh download. Upon booting up Armoury Crate downloaded. The software was nothing but problems. It kept interfering with icue and when I went to download drivers, some of them would crash the...
  8. unprotect flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unprotect flash drive: how to unprotect flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unprotect-flash-drive/d19738a9-c9a6-411f-b5a7-f4c026d1aeae
  9. WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT BEING UPDATED

WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT BEING UPDATED: MY WINDOWS DEFENDER WHEN I AM TRYING TO UPDATE IS STRUCK AND IS NOT GETTING UPDATED. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-not-being-updated/d83e308e-816a-42f0-8e3d-507ed93a76bf
  10. Defender showing action needed while AGV say" You Are unprotected

Defender showing action needed while AGV say" You Are unprotected: Defender has been my antivirus always until today AGV came on and mentioned my PC not protected against antivirus. Simultaneously, Defender also stated same. So I needed to uninstall AGV. But while doing message came on and ask if I wanted to allow another program... It it ok...