Windows 10: Windows Defender scans while gaming

Discus and support Windows Defender scans while gaming in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I've just noticed that Windows Defender performed a scan while I was gaming. My framerate suddenly dropped, so I closed the game to check out... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by philipp952806, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Windows Defender scans while gaming

Hi,

I've just noticed that Windows Defender performed a scan while I was gaming. My framerate suddenly dropped, so I closed the game to check out what happened. I've noticed a notification that said something like "while you were gaming...". It was from Windows Defender which just performed a scan for threats.

Please don't get me wrong, I really like Windows Defender because it usually doesn't make the system laggy and comes with Windows 10 but I don't get why it pretends that scanning while I'm playing a game is a good thing. Is there any way to prevent these scans while I'm playing video games?

:)

philipp952806, Aug 2, 2018

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 2, 2018
  3. Polyfun Win User
    Prevent windows defender from scanning during games

I get exactly the same problem as Zsigma:

• Windows 10 Pro x64
    • WIndows Defender process MsMpEng.exe will unpredictably take up to 50% of CPU.
    • If this happens whilst I am playing games, then the game will lag badly.
    • Windows Defender is not running a schedule scan.
    • Procmon shows Defender is accessing lots of my documents etc files.
    • Turning off real-time protection whilst gaming is a workaround, but it is not ideal.
    • What I really what is for Defender to detect that my PC is not idle and therefore to stop hogging the CPU.

Polyfun, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Brian Cab Win User

Windows Defender scans while gaming

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender scans while gaming

1. Windows Defender scans while gaming - Similar Threads - Defender scans while

2. Windows Defending scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defending scanning: When it comes to scanning results and scan options, they don't exactly match with what actually has been done.For example, I was scanning a map share last night on my was from Windows 10 over wi-fi connection, the scan took all night, and since it was over map share it was a...
  3. Windows Defender Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Scan: Other than disconnecting, is there a way of excluding an external drive from a Defender full scan? It keeps telling me I have a trojan in one of my x-drives but I don't and I've done a scan with my Kaspersky anti-virus program and it's clean. Thanks....
  4. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  5. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  6. windows defender scan?

windows defender scan?: hello everyone I am trying to scan but the scan does not start and does not scan[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-scan/d932227a-f161-4867-a89c-b559d1441f0e
  7. Windows Defender scanning PC during gaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender scanning PC during gaming: Happens all the time and even pops up in the corner above my game. How can I prevent it from scanning while playing? You'd think it would automatically prevent it when you have "game mode" on, but no. submitted by /u/poppelicious [link] [comments]...
  8. KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION Bluescreen, while Windows Defender is scanning!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION Bluescreen, while Windows Defender is scanning!: Hi I face KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION Bluescreen every time Windows Defender starts scanning... Windows Defender starts scanning my laptop, nothing happens until it reach some specific folders for scanning, and suddenly Windows go to Bluescreen. (I couldn't find the...
  9. windows defender is not scanning

windows defender is not scanning: that shows a notification that group or resource is not in state https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender-is-not-scanning/e77931e3-9d2d-402b-9172-11787928475d
  10. windows defender scan

windows defender scan: since 1803 update defender only lets me do quick scan, if I click on advanced defender closes 110807

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender scanning while gaming

2. windows defender for gaming

3. playing a game while antivirus scan

4. i want windows defender off when I am playing games,
  5. windows defender on while gaming,
  6. how bad is gaming during windows antivirus full scans,
  7. how do i stop windows defender scanning when gaming,
  8. can i stop windows defender scanning when gaming,
  9. can i stop windows defender scanning whilst gaming