Windows 10: Windows Defender Security Service Stops Every 10 Minutes

Discus and support Windows Defender Security Service Stops Every 10 Minutes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When it shows as stopped it means I cannot scan until I restart it. I can restart it through Task manager or Services but that's not the way it's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by steupz, Mar 6, 2018.

1. steupz Win User

Windows Defender Security Service Stops Every 10 Minutes

When it shows as stopped it means I cannot scan until I restart it. I can restart it through Task manager or Services but that's not the way it's supposed to work? Any ideas.

I am 99% certain it's not a virus. And I do not have another another antivirus installed. I've tried it with or without Malwarebytes and that has no effect.

:)

steupz, Mar 6, 2018

2. Defender update locks up

When using The Update and Security option in Windows 10 it tells me updates are available and downloading. Defender definition update is listed. It never completes. Downloading continues to be shown and the Defender definitions message keeps coming and
    going every few minutes. No way to stop the cycle. Anyone have any help?

Moved from Windows

MyronWanless, Mar 6, 2018
  3. GObonzo Win User
    How to permanently stop Windows Defender in Windows 10

I've gone through the Defender program > Settings> Update & Security tab > Realtime Protection [turned off]. Every time I restart my Windows 10 PC Windows Defender is running again.

I can not stop the process in Services and can not find any way to keep it from repeatedly starting.

GObonzo, Mar 6, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, not heard of this before.
    Event id 500x or so may be relevant, but may not help with identifying the cause.
    Windows Defender AV event IDs and error codes | Microsoft Docs

If one of those gives you the exact timing, that might give a little more info.

Try creating a new user for test purposes, and see if the same happens then.
    If not, you can try examining the differences in what's running, including scheduled tasks.

Windows Defender Security Service Stops Every 10 Minutes [​IMG]

Note dependency:

Please post a screenshot of Defender's GUI, Virus & threat protection.

dalchina, Mar 6, 2018
  5. steupz Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try creating a new user.
    As per attached my image corresponds with yours with the exception that your Centre Service is running whilst mine has stopped- on its own. The dependencies are he same.

steupz, Mar 6, 2018
  6. steupz Win User
    Never got the opportunity to try a new user because a new build came out and it installed. The new build keeps Security Centre Service running but now I have a new problem in that I cannot open Security Centre from 'Settings'. I can live with that though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

steupz, Mar 7, 2018
  7. After installings Antivirus on Windows 10 Windows Defender Security disable so possibility there cannot be two(es) on the same PCs, please I need help from experts,

Sincerely yours
    Abdou Samad

AbdouSamad, Mar 8, 2018
  8. steupz Win User

Yes, that's normal. Why do you need both to function?

steupz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Security Service Stops Every 10 Minutes - Similar Threads - Defender Security Service

2. Windows Defender service reinstalls every two minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender service reinstalls every two minutes: Is this a Windows Defender bug or something wrong with my installation?Yes, all updates are installed.Yes, I tried to do Sfc /ScanNow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth.I tried to delete and run it stopped by default this service. Nothing helps. It still...
  3. Windows Defender service reinstalls every two minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender service reinstalls every two minutes: Is this a Windows Defender bug or something wrong with my installation?Yes, all updates are installed.Yes, I tried to do Sfc /ScanNow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth.I tried to delete and run it stopped by default this service. Nothing helps. It still...
  4. Windows Defender service reinstalls every two minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Edge update stopped & Software Protection Service Events every couple minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge update stopped & Software Protection Service Events every couple minutes: Hello, I have been getting constantly hammered with 2 events since installing Win10.They are the Software Protection Service has been rescheduled for 100 years till 2123 & Edge Update Stopped. I went into tasks & corrected date on SPS task but it changed back.Side Note: When...
  6. Edge update stopped & Software Protection Service Events every couple minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Edge update stopped & Software Protection Service Events every couple minutes: Hello, I have been getting constantly hammered with 2 events since installing Win10.They are the Software Protection Service has been rescheduled for 100 years till 2123 & Edge Update Stopped. I went into tasks & corrected date on SPS task but it changed back.Side Note: When...
  7. Windows Defender Service Stop Working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Service Stop Working: Sense and WdNisSvc services have stopped but when i try to start it this pops up[Original Title: Windows Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-stop-working/f0f9b965-9d1e-4205-936f-755985b1ba57
  8. Windows Defender Service stopped

Windows Defender Service stopped: Right after this April 16, 2020, My windows defender shows that the Service has stopped. I did recover it but My version is blank and Security intelligence version is blank. If i check for updates What will happen? will it turn again to Stop the service or wait for the new...
  9. Security Essentials suddenly is stopping every few minutes

Security Essentials suddenly is stopping every few minutes: Been using Security Essentials, Windows 7, for several years, no problems. Today its behavior has changed. Every few minutes it goes from green to red, service has stopped. I restart, it restarts, goes back to green, life is good. For a few minutes. Then it stops again. I...
  10. Windows Defender service stops randomly

Windows Defender service stops randomly: Suddenly the Windows Defender service keeps turning itself off. I haven't detected a pattern leading to the behavior yet, it just seems to happen randomly. I'll glance down at the icon in the systray and see the red "x". I double-click it, then hit the "Restart" button in the...