Windows 10: Windows Defender service stops randomly

Discus and support Windows Defender service stops randomly in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Suddenly the Windows Defender service keeps turning itself off. I haven't detected a pattern leading to the behavior yet, it just seems to happen... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pjfarr, Sep 7, 2017.

1. pjfarr Win User

Windows Defender service stops randomly

Suddenly the Windows Defender service keeps turning itself off. I haven't detected a pattern leading to the behavior yet, it just seems to happen randomly. I'll glance down at the icon in the systray and see the red "x". I double-click it, then hit the "Restart" button in the Defender window to get the green checkmark back. Sometimes I open "Services.msc" and will see it's marked as "stopped". I can right-click and restart it that way. In the services list it's set to start automatically and if I open properties all the options are greyed out.

Opening Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance it shows Windows Defender is turned on, even when the tray icon has the red "x" and it's marked as stopped in service.msc. If I click on "View installed anti-virus apps" it shows McAffee Anti-Virus and Spyware, but it's set to "Off" and Windows Defender Antivirus set to "On". I didn't install the McAffee stuff, I'm pretty sure it came pre-installed and has been there a while without causing problems. Essentially, the red "x" and Services.msc says the service is stopped, but the Security and Maintenance window says it's on. I can run a scan no problem.

Tried running SFC and rebooting. Didn't help.

What the what is this nonsense?

This is an HP Envy laptop running Win10x64.

:)

pjfarr, Sep 7, 2017

2. windows explorer data usage

Windows explorer is using almost all my internet bandwidth making the browser's internet slower.

I have tries scanning with my entire computer with windows defender but didn't worked.

When i randomly stop some services from service host: local system it seems to stop.

But starts when restarting pc.

I have to "end task" windows explorer to use browser.

And the windows explorer also sometimes repeatedly flashes .

Can somebody help me with a solution

Thank You

NishantSubedi, Sep 7, 2017
  3. how do I reinstall windows defender for windows 10

there is still pop up massage like this,

"The windows defender service service on local computer started and then stopped. some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or program."

what should I do?

I want to turn on windows defender.

JosephLee06092008, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Windows Defender service stops randomly

TairikuOkami, Sep 7, 2017
  5. pjfarr Win User
    Thanks!

Removed all traces of McAfee. Still happening.

pjfarr, Sep 8, 2017
  6. pjfarr Win User
    The issue seems to have resolved itself. I'm not sure why, but it's been several days and Defender has not stopped, when before it was stopping several times a day.

If it was something I did, I have no idea what.

pjfarr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender service stops randomly

1. Windows Defender service stops randomly - Similar Threads - Defender service stops

2. Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services: This is causing a huge headache for me as I just upgraded to Windows 11 from Win 10 a week ago and I immediately noticed this issue with the Windows Firewall. I can't get it to restart or change any settings. When I click on it in Services, everything is greyed out and it...
  3. Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall stuck "Stopping" in services: This is causing a huge headache for me as I just upgraded to Windows 11 from Win 10 a week ago and I immediately noticed this issue with the Windows Firewall. I can't get it to restart or change any settings. When I click on it in Services, everything is greyed out and it...
  4. Windows Defender Service Stop Working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Service Stop Working: Sense and WdNisSvc services have stopped but when i try to start it this pops up[Original Title: Windows Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-stop-working/f0f9b965-9d1e-4205-936f-755985b1ba57
  5. Windows services randomly stopping?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows services randomly stopping?: So I've recently had this issue with my new computer, where core Windows services will stop, i.e. Windows Update, Search Indexing. I go into services, set the disabled ones to "Automatic", then click Start, but after a while, the core services will set themselves to...
  6. Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 Randomly Stopping

Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 Randomly Stopping: My windows Defender Keeps Randomly stopping , not sure if it is due to ,iobit malware fighter , or what , i am not on line every day , so i don't notice it until I see it in pc issues , so i restart ,update & scan. so far no issues ,viruses etc. Haven't been able to figure...
  7. Windows defender threat service has stopped

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows defender threat service has stopped: https://prnt.sc/u8hf75 I've tried multiple fixes such as looking in registry editor and doing the Dism and sfc /scannow stuff in cmd but neither of those worked what should i do?...
  8. How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”?

How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”?: Windows 10.0.18362.778: How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”? I couldn’t figure out how to stop “windows defender antivirus service” [img] 154767
  9. Windows Defender Service stopped

Windows Defender Service stopped: Right after this April 16, 2020, My windows defender shows that the Service has stopped. I did recover it but My version is blank and Security intelligence version is blank. If i check for updates What will happen? will it turn again to Stop the service or wait for the new...
  10. Windows Defender Threat Service Stopped and Won't Restart

Windows Defender Threat Service Stopped and Won't Restart: [ATTACH] My Windows Defender Threat Service has stopped and every time I try to restart it, it won't work. I think it may have something to do with an update that the Windows Defender needs, but the update won't install either. I've tried a few solutions but so far nothing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender stops at random times