Windows 10: Windows defender service won't start (build 9860)

Discus and support Windows defender service won't start (build 9860) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there Anybody encountered THIS problem yet (I have no other AV software running). Windows defender won't start. Cheers jimbo 2726 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jimbo45, Oct 29, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows defender service won't start (build 9860)

Hi there

Anybody encountered THIS problem yet (I have no other AV software running).

Windows defender won't start.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 29, 2014
  2. Swatha Win User

Windows 10 Defender or Mcafee

In recent update of developer preview build 9860 My Mcafee gave error and when i tried to use Windows Defender it didn't start tried to run from services.exe I get this error message "some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services
    or programs"

Swatha, Oct 29, 2014
  3. SP2915 Win User
    How to stop Windows Defender updates?

Thanks, Luc.

I have 2 computers, one desktop and a laptop with Windows 10 installed in both of them. My Desktop has been updated to build 9860 and I am waiting to happen it with my laptop. But, I am not receiving Windows Defender updates in my desktop. It seems like
    everything is fine with my desktop. But, it is this laptop that is receiving these Windows Defender updates.

SP2915, Oct 29, 2014
  4. Windows defender service won't start (build 9860)

Check Windows 10 time to make sure the time and date are correct. Some infection will change the time so you can't get updates.

I'm presuming you have check for infections.
    Check and see if your other security programs have the same problem.
    Some infections will try to turn off all security programs.
    Some will also try to stop you from using the internet so you can't get help using that computer.

Layback Bear, Oct 29, 2014
  5. Hi,
    The only time I've seen that was after uninstalling Panda antivirus,
    Couldn't turn defender back on after,
    I had to do a refresh install with flash media to get it back on *Sad

ThrashZone, Oct 29, 2014
  6. hawkman Win User
    Hi Jimbo,
    if you ran any AV, any registry remnants that remain will cause the error you are seeing.
    Its a case of hunting them down, usually hiding in users/roaming
    Found this out on my W7 install, its quicker than a reinstal.

Roy

hawkman, Oct 29, 2014
  7. swarfega Win User
    It might also be worth running "sfc/scannow" in command prompt to check for the integrity of the OS files.

swarfega, Nov 2, 2014
  8. Edwin New Member

I had re-install to get it to work too.

Edwin, Nov 2, 2014
  9. badrobot Win User
    I think it's a lot better to make use of your Acronis image backups than playing around with the registry. It's not worth wasting your time trying to fix it at this stage.

badrobot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows defender service won't start (build 9860) - Similar Threads - defender service won't

2. Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied: I wanted to install XBOX app but whenever I install it I got the error > looks like something went wrong 0x80073D0A I looked this code and it seems it wants Windows Defender to be on, so I went to check Windows defender but I can't open it, whenever I click it the open with...
  3. Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied: I wanted to install XBOX app but whenever I install it I got the error > looks like something went wrong 0x80073D0A I looked this code and it seems it wants Windows Defender to be on, so I went to check Windows defender but I can't open it, whenever I click it the open with...
  4. Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. The AMD Crash Defender Service won't start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The AMD Crash Defender Service won't start: Hi all, After several BSOD's and lot's of troubleshooting:(Besides Mem-, HDD diagnostics and more... BIOS latest version, SFC /Scannow, AMD cleanup util., Reinstallation of Graphics card/Chipset/Audio/Network adapters and bleutooth...My system boots up very slow with the...
  6. Flash won't install on Build 9860

in Browsers and Email
    Flash won't install on Build 9860: Strange thing just happened - I have updated to Build 9860, in fact, I reinstalled the original Win10 TP, then updated to 9860 right away and now am in the process of setting up. Suddenly I got the following message while installing Adobe Flash: "The user does not have...
  7. Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start: The last few days, Defender has been trying and failing to update its definitions. A manual update from Defender fails. Now Defender isn't working. Pressing Defender's Start button gives the message that the underlying service isn't running. The service is set to automatic,...
  8. Build 9860 ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 9860 ISO: My prefered pc refuses to upgrade to build 9860 so I tried, sucessfully to upgrade the second one. Before I had configured restore it crashed big time. I have removed the hdd and formatted it, I won't bother to put it on that machine again. I was wondering whether the ISO...
  9. Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date
  10. No ISOs for Windows 10 build 9860

in Windows 10 News
    No ISOs for Windows 10 build 9860: With the release today of Windows 10 build 986, you might be hoping to download an ISO to perform a clean install of the OS. Unfortunately, Microsoft has said that this will not occur which means that Windows Update is your only option. The information comes from Gabriel...