Windows 10: Windows Defender Slow Scans on an Intel I7 Desktop

Discus and support Windows Defender Slow Scans on an Intel I7 Desktop in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All Issue is Defender scans really slow, like over 12 hours if I choose to do a full scan, Previous was Avast that was removed with the tool,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AMDMan2016, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Windows Defender Slow Scans on an Intel I7 Desktop

Hi All

Issue is Defender scans really slow, like over 12 hours if I choose to do a full scan, Previous was Avast that was removed with the tool, Malwarebytes 3 Free, Is it cause I use the configure defender x64 utlity to up the cloud protection level and such

Any advice appreciated

:)

AMDMan2016, Jul 16, 2018
  2. eLPuSHeR Win User

Windows Defender - Very slow scans

That's pretty strange. We all know laptop harddisks are usually slower (5400rpms) but 3 hours is an insane time for a quick scan. Can you check process manager to see if there is anything else running that is slowing things down?
    On my desktop i7 (SATA II hd), Defender takes about 5 minutes for a quick scan.

eLPuSHeR, Jul 16, 2018
  3. avemaria Win User
    right click scan in windows defender?

thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, Jul 16, 2018
  4. Windows Defender Slow Scans on an Intel I7 Desktop

defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jul 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender Slow Scans on an Intel I7 Desktop

1. Windows Defender Slow Scans on an Intel I7 Desktop - Similar Threads - Defender Slow Scans

2. Intel i7 3610QM and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel i7 3610QM and Windows 11: Hello,I have a Samsung laptop running an Intel i7 3610QM, 16gb RAM etc. and Windows 11 can’t be installed.It meets all the technical requirements for Windows 11 so it doesn’t make sense that it’s not on the supported processors list.I read somewhere that it is too unreliable....
  3. Intel i7 3610QM and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel i7 3610QM and Windows 11: Hello,I have a Samsung laptop running an Intel i7 3610QM, 16gb RAM etc. and Windows 11 can’t be installed.It meets all the technical requirements for Windows 11 so it doesn’t make sense that it’s not on the supported processors list.I read somewhere that it is too unreliable....
  4. Intel i7 3610QM and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Intel i7 7700HQ and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel i7 7700HQ and Windows 11: There is no support for computers with the intel i7 7700HQ processor. I have an HP Omen ... a premium laptop on which I can't install Windows 11. I don't understand your business. If you want us to look for alternative solutions for the operating system then it is clear to me...
  6. Intel i7 7700HQ and Windows 11

Intel i7 7700HQ and Windows 11: There is no support for computers with the intel i7 7700HQ processor. I have an HP Omen ... a premium laptop on which I can't install Windows 11. I don't understand your business. If you want us to look for alternative solutions for the operating system then it is clear to me...
  7. Windows 11 for Intel I7-7700HQ

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 for Intel I7-7700HQ: Hello I've been using Windows 11 the dev version on an intel I7-7700HQ for few months now with no issue what so ever. Is there a reason why this processor is still not supported for Windows 11? Will it ever be?...
  8. Windows 11 for Intel I7-7700HQ

Windows 11 for Intel I7-7700HQ: Hello I've been using Windows 11 the dev version on an intel I7-7700HQ for few months now with no issue what so ever. Is there a reason why this processor is still not supported for Windows 11? Will it ever be?...
  9. Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A Scan'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A Scan': Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A Scan For full scanning windows defender taking more than 72 hrs but still scan is not completed. Right click in any file and folder is not responding. Can anyone provide solution on this??...
  10. Windows Defender - Very slow scans

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender - Very slow scans: Upgraded a laptop to windows 10 Home x64 for a family member. It's an older Acer Aspire laptop. We attempted to do a Windows Defender quick-scan to try it out. However, three hours later, it's only ~50% complete. I've never had a fresh install take this long for an AV quick...