Windows 10: Windows Defender/SmartScreen

Discus and support Windows Defender/SmartScreen in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Why does Windows Defender/SmartScreen detect the AMTSO Test Web sites Phishing test page one day and then I try another day and it WILL NOT detect it?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HerschellKM, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Windows Defender/SmartScreen

Why does Windows Defender/SmartScreen detect the AMTSO Test Web sites Phishing test page one day and then I try another day and it WILL NOT detect it? What is going on?

I do not want a 3rd party A/V product, but we need consistent and strong protection.

Thanks,

Karl

:)

HerschellKM, Aug 27, 2018
  2. Rob Koch Win User

Defender/SmartScreen warning.

Though this doesn't explain why an application's specific reputation might have changed, the addition of granular controls for these settings in the recently released Windows 10 Creators Update may have something to do with it.

Smartscreen in Creators Update

This newer implementation of SmartScreen within Windows 10 has also been renamed to

Windows Defender SmartScreen
    rather than the old Windows SmartSreen and SmartScreen Filter name within the browser.

Again, none of this specifically explains a change in reputation, but it's possible that all of these changes might have affected the reputation for some applications or certificates.

Since you didn't specify what type of certificate you are using, since this affects the ability to add or gain reputation status more quickly. The

Windows Defender SmartScreen® Filter Frequently Asked Questions
    page covers this as follows.

There are industry best practices for application developers that will affect your download's reputation and help ensure reputation is established and maintained. If your program is not digitally signed, reputation cannot automatically be shared
    across different versions and builds.

To help establish your application's reputation, consider doing the following:

• Digitally sign your programs with an Authenticode signature

Reputation is generated and assigned to digital certificates as well as specific files. Digital certificates allow data to be aggregated and assigned to a single certificate rather than many individual programs. Only Authenticode Certificates issued by a Certificate
      Authority (CA) that is a member of the Windows Root Certificate Program can establish reputation.
    • Apply for a Windows Logo

To learn more visit the
      Windows Logo Program
      page on MSDN.

Rob

Rob Koch, Aug 27, 2018
  3. I cannot disable Windows SmartScreen

Hi,

Disabling Windows SmartScreen in updated Windows versions was already moved to Windows Defender Security Center. It's a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update. That might be the reason why it is not showing in the Control Panel. For us to disable the
    Windows SmartScreen, please follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Press Enter.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • You have 3 options:
    • If you will disable it, it will show you a warning message.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Windows Defender/SmartScreen

Can't launch any applications

Hi,

This error message will show if the application or program that you are trying to open was been blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen. Having said that, we suggest that you disable Windows Defender SmartScreen by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • Click on Off in the following options:
      • Check apps and files.
      • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.
      • SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.
    • SmartScreen is now completely disabled. If you'd like to still receive a warning when a potentially malicious file or program is detected, you can choose Warn in each SmartScreen option.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender/SmartScreen

1. Windows Defender/SmartScreen - Similar Threads - Defender SmartScreen

2. disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11: I have tried almost all of the suggestions I have found here and nothing works. I have a new laptop/WIN 11. I don't understand way it should be so difficult to remove this. You are interfering with the use of my computer. Can I please get some help that will allow me to...
  3. disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11: I have tried almost all of the suggestions I have found here and nothing works. I have a new laptop/WIN 11. I don't understand way it should be so difficult to remove this. You are interfering with the use of my computer. Can I please get some help that will allow me to...
  4. Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust: We have an installer for our software self-extracting archive signed with a GlobalSign Code Signing Certificate. It's uploaded to our server, users can download it through our website.We have encountered a couple of problems:1 When downloading our installer from our website,...
  5. Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust

Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust: We have an installer for our software self-extracting archive signed with a GlobalSign Code Signing Certificate. It's uploaded to our server, users can download it through our website.We have encountered a couple of problems:1 When downloading our installer from our website,...
  6. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?: I recently wanted to download an application that I have used on prior devices but isn't approved by Microsoft - a 'zine maker' if that helps. I tried to disable Smartscreen so I could get it, but when I tried to turn off 'Smartscreen for Microsoft Edge' it wouldn't let me....
  7. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?: I recently wanted to download an application that I have used on prior devices but isn't approved by Microsoft - a 'zine maker' if that helps. I tried to disable Smartscreen so I could get it, but when I tried to turn off 'Smartscreen for Microsoft Edge' it wouldn't let me....
  8. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Windows Defender SmartScreen Warning Prompt No Longer Showing!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender SmartScreen Warning Prompt No Longer Showing!: Hi all.Recently, I've noticed that the Windows Defender SmartScreen Warning Prompt does not show.It is the one with a blue background saying "Windows protected your PC" see the picture below for an example.This causes executables that would normally trigger this warning to...
  10. Windows Defender SmartScreen Warning Prompt No Longer Showing!

Windows Defender SmartScreen Warning Prompt No Longer Showing!: Hi all.Recently, I've noticed that the Windows Defender SmartScreen Warning Prompt does not show.It is the one with a blue background saying "Windows protected your PC" see the picture below for an example.This causes executables that would normally trigger this warning to...