Windows 10: Windows Defender takes ~10 seconds to open from system tray icon

Discus and support Windows Defender takes ~10 seconds to open from system tray icon in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've noticed that when my computer first boots up, Windows Defender opens almost immediately when I double-click the system tray icon, but after... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by lukeman3000, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Windows Defender takes ~10 seconds to open from system tray icon

I've noticed that when my computer first boots up, Windows Defender opens almost immediately when I double-click the system tray icon, but after opening it the first time, subsequent attempts take ~10 seconds after double-clicking the icon.

Any ideas? I've already checked and it's not in the middle of a scan or anything. Also, I've opened Defender from the settings menu (there's a button that says "Open Windows Defender") and it opens instantaneously via this button even when it's opening slowly from the system tray.

Is this normal behavior or is something strange going on here? This is basically a completely fresh install of Win 10 and I'm pretty sure I don't have any viruses or malware going on...

:)

lukeman3000, Sep 12, 2016
  2. Koo10e Win User

Windows Defender Health Report not opening

Very similar experience for me. The Windows Defender Security Center window opens when I right click and select 'Open' from the 'Actions recommended' system tray icon, but not when I double click on it. Once the Windows Defender Security Center window
    opens I cannot navigate within it, nor get any response from it. The window typically closes within one or at most three seconds after opening, whether I interact with it or not, without any system error messages or other notifications of what the problem
    might be. I have repeated this multiple times during separate Windows sessions over the last two days. I hadn't opened the Windows Defender Security Center prior to this, having updated to the 1703 only a few days ago.

Koo10e, Sep 12, 2016
  3. WINDOWS DEFENDER IN SYSTEM TRAY

Hi Peggybiebl,

Hope this will address your query.

Follow the below mentioned steps:

* Click Start,

* Type Windows Defender into the search space and select the
    Window Defender
    from the list to launch the same.

* Keep Windows Defender open on desktop.

* Now Right-click on System-Tray(I.e. On time/date) and select
    Customize notification icons from context menu

* On right Select which icons appear on the taskbar under
    Quick actions

* Then search and toggle the Windows Defender to On

Going forward you can see the Windows Defender in the system tray.

Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Sep 12, 2016
  4. Jeddie Win User

Windows Defender takes ~10 seconds to open from system tray icon

Mine (Ver 1607 AU) does the same? When I open from system tray, it takes a long time to open.

Jeddie, Sep 13, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have noticed WD sometimes opens quickly but other times takes a long time to do so. It seems to be quite random.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 13, 2016
  6. Geosammy Win User
    I have this same issue, when opening WD for the system tray.

Windows Defender takes ~10 seconds to open from system tray icon [​IMG]

It seems to always take about 10 seconds.

I've created a WD shortcut icon on my desktop.
    When using this desktop shortcut, WD lunches/opens instantly.

Below is a screenshot of the shortcut's properties,
    showing the Target Path.

Geosammy, Jun 21, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    If I double-click the icon in the Notification Area WD opens in about 5 seconds, not at all bad.

Berton, Jun 21, 2017
  8. Geosammy Win User

I was simply counting the time it took for WD to launch, 1-1000, 2-1000 and so on.
    I then used a stopwatch to actually time it.
    It was between 5-10 seconds,
    without any real way of telling why it's taking this amount of time to open.

Geosammy, Jun 21, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Hmmm, let's see, when opening, Windows Defender has to enumerate the drives available that may need to be scanned, has to check what data being held in RAM, what is running in the background, etc. It all does take a bit of time, none of which is as quick as flipping a light switch. Adding to all that is everything we want the computer to do for us which at the same time explains where there are no two computers exactly alike, similar Yes.

Berton, Jun 21, 2017
  10. Geosammy Win User
    Yes I agree however,
    the WD desktop shortcut launches the same program from the same location almost instantly, or without delay.
    Whereas when opened from the system tray, can takes up to 10 seconds to launch.
    Seems like when WD is launched from the system try, it's doing more to completely open than the shortcut.
    WD is the only program in the system tray, which behaves this way. Every other program I have in the system tray, does not have this kind of delay when launched.
    This would appear to suggests an inconsistency in the way WD is being launching.

Geosammy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender takes ~10 seconds to open from system tray icon - Similar Threads - Defender takes ~10

2. Windows Defender Icon is missing from tray in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Icon is missing from tray in Windows 10: Hello-I have tried I believe everything. This youtube video I followed and did not help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEM_NvUZAkI uninstalled win10 patches and still it is missing...I tried sfc/scannow and all the DISM.exe options. I tried Windows powershell and did not...
  3. Windows Defender Icon is missing from tray in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Icon is missing from tray in Windows 10: Hello-I have tried I believe everything. This youtube video I followed and did not help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEM_NvUZAkI uninstalled win10 patches and still it is missing...I tried sfc/scannow and all the DISM.exe options. I tried Windows powershell and did not...
  4. Windows Defender Icon is missing from tray in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  6. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  7. Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray

Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray: I am a Windows 10 user. I uninstalled Norton AV after I received advise to do so from the Microsoft community experts. I did remove it and activated Windows Defender. But the windows defender icon is not visible in the system tray. I tried various means. I am not an IT...
  8. windows defender system tray icon is black

windows defender system tray icon is black: this what my windows defender icon looks like https://imgur.com/qX39YT9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-system-tray-icon-is-black/98753490-bb4a-4c2f-855e-3b8d6e7c35e3"
  9. Windows Defender System Tray Icon

Windows Defender System Tray Icon: Currently, I have the Windows Defender System Tray icon with an exclamation point on it --- When I open the program to see what actions are needed, there are none to be acted upon --- So I should get the green checkmark when I restart, but still, the exclamation point is...
  10. Windows Defender Tray Icon

Windows Defender Tray Icon: Having just updated Windows to version 1709 16299.19 the Icon for Defender is no longer there. Checked notifications and defender is not even listed. In Task Manager start up there is just the word Windows and not defender ( see pic). So this new version of windows has...