Windows 10: Windows Defender takes forever to scan

Discus and support Windows Defender takes forever to scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows defender used to speed by, now it is slow as a snail. It got stuck 2x at a file. I had to cancel the scan and start all over. Now it is going... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Robinb9, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Robinb9 Win User

Windows Defender takes forever to scan

Windows defender used to speed by, now it is slow as a snail. It got stuck 2x at a file. I had to cancel the scan and start all over.
    Now it is going but slow as can be, it has been scanning for 20 min and only half thru.
    anyone seeing this?

:)

Robinb9, Jul 30, 2015
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Windows Defender Update

I'm trying to update my Windows Defender, but it seems to to be taking forever. It hasn't moved past about 30% for hours. Is anyone else having the same problem? I've scanned my computer and there are no problems but the PC Status is Potentially Unprotected
    and that scares me.

PaulinPagulayan, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Robin, *Smile

It really depends on the file it's scanning, and how many. If this is a .iso or .vhd then it could take a while to scan them.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Robinb9 Win User
    this is the laptop that was updated to windows 10, there is basically not much on it to begin with before it upgraded. The only thing that changed was the OS. It ran fast and fine before the upgrade

Robinb9, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Do you have Windows Update running and updating in the background by chance? That can usually bog things down.

I'd check in Task Manager while scanning to see if anything else may be running that could be slowing WD up.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender takes forever to scan - Similar Threads - Defender takes forever

2. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update is taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update is taking forever: Hello, there was a system update for my Dell windows 10 laptop. When I updated it, it's been 4 hours already but it's still at 24%? It's not stucked, but it takes around 15 minutes every additional 1%. What should I do? submitted by /u/ngcy00 [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows taking forever to Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows taking forever to Update: I did one of the Windows update and it told me to restart my computer. Usually it takes 5 minutes but today its been over an hour restarting. What should i do?...
  7. Windows Update takes forever

Windows Update takes forever: The windows update end up took more than 3 hours to complete. Would it be possible to get an estimated time to update beforehand? And it would be nice if the windows can display the estimated remaining time needed instead of the percentage completed because it could be stuck...
  8. Windows Defender takes longer time to scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender takes longer time to scan: Hello! after the upgrade of windows 10, I tried to run a full scan, but it took 6 hours and it hasn't trepasses the 50% of the scan progress. in addition, I can't see what is being scanned like in the older version of Windows Defender; 90456
  9. Startup takes forever.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup takes forever.: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since then my PC (HP Envy i7) takes approximately 5 hours to boot. This really is frustrating. Please assist in resolving this issue. 37156
  10. Updates taking forever

Updates taking forever: With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? [img] What updates do you think it is snagging ? 12472

Users found this page by searching for:

1. security scan taking forever

2. windows defender quick scan takes forever

3. windows defender full scan takes forever

4. windows defender taking too long on quick scan fix,
  5. why does windows 10 quick scan take forever,
  6. windows defender scan takes hours,
  7. windows 10 security quick scan takes forever,
  8. windows defender quick scan taking too long,
  9. windows 10 download defender taking fioereveer,
  10. windows defender download scan very slow,
  11. windows defender full scan is so slow,