Windows 10: Windows Defender takes longer time to scan

Discus and support Windows Defender takes longer time to scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello! after the upgrade of windows 10, I tried to run a full scan, but it took 6 hours and it hasn't trepasses the 50% of the scan progress. in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NourinE, Aug 2, 2017.

1. NourinE Win User

Windows Defender takes longer time to scan

Hello!
    after the upgrade of windows 10, I tried to run a full scan, but it took 6 hours and it hasn't trepasses the 50% of the scan progress. in addition, I can't see what is being scanned like in the older version of Windows Defender;

:)

NourinE, Aug 2, 2017

2. External Hard Disk fast scanning

Hi All,

I am scanning External Hard disk. it takes longer time to scan in Windows defender software. I need to scan for virus fastly. Is there any options?

Thanks

Ram

RamakrishnanMalathkar, Aug 2, 2017
  3. Windows Defender takes long time to scan

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to Run maintenance task and check if it helps.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at
    the same time.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.

Method 2:

To defragment your hard disk

• Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start
      button. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click
      Disk Defragmenter.
    • Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.
    • To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click
      Analyze disk. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the
      Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.
    • Click Defragment disk. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Method 3:

If issue still persist, you can try Clean Boot and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: The article For Windows 8/8.1 will work for Windows 10 as well.

Disclaimer: To start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the link above.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Thank you

Amit(Kumar), Aug 2, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

A Full scan can take a long time, particularly if you haven't cleaned up your temporary internet files recently. Six hours is a long time, but not unknown. If you prefer, you can still use the old user interface for Defender, it's still there in Creators, just not with a link to open it.

Run: "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"

Create Windows Defender Antivirus Shortcut in Windows 10

Bree, Aug 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Defender takes longer time to scan - Similar Threads - Defender takes longer

2. Wifi Scanning takes longer time after windows update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Scanning takes longer time after windows update.: Everything was good until 2023-08 Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB4023057 update.After this update WiFi scanning takes longer to scan available networks. After long wait, what I get is this..This is not the only issue.As it takes long time to scan,...
  3. Wifi Scanning takes longer time after windows update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Scanning takes longer time after windows update.: Everything was good until 2023-08 Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB4023057 update.After this update WiFi scanning takes longer to scan available networks. After long wait, what I get is this..This is not the only issue.As it takes long time to scan,...
  4. Windows system taking longer time for login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows system taking longer time for login: Hello,When employees are powering on the system after shutdown it's taking 4 Min 30 Sec to 5 Min to turn on the system.initially the bitlocker page comes after 1 Min 30 Sec. After Entering the bitlocker password the main windows login page take 2 Min 40 Sec. After entering...
  5. Windows Defender Taking A Long Time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Taking A Long Time: So I ran a Windows Defender scan, and i found a threat, Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.B specifically, so i clicked remove threat. Its currently 2:26 PM, I started at 8:30 AM, i ran windows update and there were some required updates. Should i restart my computer and run the updates,...
  6. Take longer time on welcome

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Take longer time on welcome: when I bought my laptop then it take roughly 10 sec to bootup and takes roughly 1sec in welcome screen but when I download some app and games from then my pc takes longer time on welcome screen roughly 5-10 sec. which is very annoying. I trIed every possible way, watch...
  7. Windows Defender Offline Scan no longer working

Windows Defender Offline Scan no longer working: Greetings, I recently suspected that my computer may be infected with a virus so I ran both a full system from defender as well as a scan from Malwarbytes and they came up clean. I decided to run an The offline scan as well. It seemed to be working so I walked away and...
  8. Windows Defender boot time scan.

Windows Defender boot time scan.: I am running 1903 on 3 laptops and have not been able to get Window Defenders boot time scan to work on any of them. I assume this being that their is no clear visual indication that one is running as it supposedly scans and no where in the log does it indicate that a...
  9. Windows Defender full scan taking a long time!

Windows Defender full scan taking a long time!: We're at 5 1/2 hours and still not finished. 924,000+ items scanned. I had had the trial version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit on for the first 1 1/2 hours of the Defender scan and I turned it off because I thought that might be slowing things. This is on a Dell Inspiron...
  10. Windows Defender takes forever to scan

Windows Defender takes forever to scan: Windows defender used to speed by, now it is slow as a snail. It got stuck 2x at a file. I had to cancel the scan and start all over. Now it is going but slow as can be, it has been scanning for 20 min and only half thru. anyone seeing this? 10464

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender takes a long time check file