Windows 10: Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but...

Discus and support Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In the task bar I see "actions needed" [ATTACH] But if I open the Windows Defender Security Center I do not see any "action needed" ! Why? [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by passegua, Jul 11, 2018.

1. passegua Win User

Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but...

In the task bar I see "actions needed"

Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but... beff1f19-e7d5-460b-861a-225ec0615262?upload=true.png

But if I open the Windows Defender Security Center I do not see any "action needed" !

Why?

Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but... 163c5d03-a116-4584-a423-f165cccd45ab?upload=true.png

:)

passegua, Jul 11, 2018

2. windows 10 - detected Malware notification - no action required.

Hi Manoj,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Open Settings.

• Click on System and click on Notifications and Actions.

• Under Show notifications for these apps turn off the setting for Windows defender.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 11, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Defender Actions Recommended

This is an unacceptable workaround at best. I'm not going to blindly do this every time Windows Update decides to push out an update, which can happen at any time, and has happened at any time.

Where can I find the Actions Recommended list?

Since there is a notification, there must be a list of what those notifications are, even if it tells me there was a problem because of a virus checker. We have had this issue for months (including my old laptop), and this is a new machine doing the same
    thing.

What you are telling me seems to imply that we will get notified even if there are, in fact, no action items. This would indeed be a bug in Windows Defender Action Notifications, would it not?

Kelly Craven, Jul 11, 2018
  4. Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but...

Windows defender's process running despite it being disabled.

Windows Defender is integrated within Windows 10. So you have it and it is running (as it should be) unless you installed a 3rd party "real-time" anti-malware solution. If you are using an alternative security solution, it should have registered itself with Windows Action Center which would then disable the real-time component of Windows Defender - unless you specifically told the 3rd party solution not to register itself.

For example, if you purchased Malwarebytes "Premium", it has a real-time scanner (the free version does not). When you install Malwarebytes Premium, it registers itself in Windows Action Center. But because Malwarebytes and Windows Defender play very well together without hogging resources or causing conflicts, it is often recommended to allow each to run at the same time. So to allow that, the user has to manually go into the Malwarebytes control panel Settings menu and select the option to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

I suspect other 3rd party solutions provide similar options so you might check that out if you did indeed, install a 3rd party security solution.

Both Windows Update and Windows Defender are supposed to step way back in to the background so they do not interfere with system performance when you are actively using your computer. But this is not always possible, especially if you regularly shut down your computer when you step away from it (instead of just letting it go to sleep), as too much time may have passed and your system is too far behind in Windows and security updates.

Without you noting which program was actually consuming the lion's share of that 80%, there's no way to tell what, at this point, was causing the problem. However, I would not put it past a browser. Chrome, for example, is very good (or bad, I should say) at eating up a lot of RAM and failing to let it go when exited.

Bill_Bright, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but...

1. Windows Defender tells me "actions needed", but... - Similar Threads - Defender tells actions

2. My windows secirty is telling me that malware bytes needs actions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My windows secirty is telling me that malware bytes needs actions: So i was on twitter and acidently click on this link that lead me to a youtube video but i dont trust any links so i check windows secirty to see that it has actions recommend for malware bytes so in a haste i open mayware bytes and scanned to find nothing then i did a quick...
  3. Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection

Windows Defender "Action Needed" but there's no malware detection: Every time on startup, my Windows Defender shows a 'action needed symbol' with a caution mark in a triangle which disappears a few moments later and gets replaced with the 'no action needed' symbol with a tick in a green circle.I scanned my computer several times with...
  4. WINDOWS DEFENDER KEEPS SAYING ACTION NEEDED

WINDOWS DEFENDER KEEPS SAYING ACTION NEEDED: So i downloaded a game trainer and windows defender did its job by blocking a supposed trojanimage provided. It quarantined the threat but later on gave another notification of that same threat and this time clicking Start action doesn't work. Personally i know the threat is...
  5. Windows Defender Stuck Displaying "Actions Needed"

Windows Defender Stuck Displaying "Actions Needed": Yesterday, Windows Defender caught a threat on my device. Let me go ahead and preface by saying that I think it was a false positive caused by an issue with a DirectX implementation, but I only have anecdotal evidence. I still went ahead and let Defender remove it, though,...
  6. Windows Defender Showing Action Needed

Windows Defender Showing Action Needed: It is showing in action needed in the right side of my desktop but when I try to press do the further required its still not showing the green tick [Original Title: windows security]...
  7. Windows Defender Security Center action needed?

Windows Defender Security Center action needed?: I have just completed a fresh install of Windows 10, and lo and behold I have a security issue that requires action. Only the issue does not present itself. How do I make that little red X go away? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  8. Problem with Windows Defender, needed action

Problem with Windows Defender, needed action: When I had this laptop upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro I asked the tech to name it "xxxxx". He did that and whenever I fired up the machine I got "xxxxx Welcome". Last week I received an update from Microsoft and at the end of its installation (1 hour) the laptop told me...
  9. Why does Action Center tell me "Windows Defender needs to scan?"

Why does Action Center tell me "Windows Defender needs to scan?": It's my understanding that Defender scans according to Microsoft's maintenance schedule. But I get a notice in the Action Center that "Windows Defender needs to scan." My last scan occurred 4-5 days ago when I noticed the alert. Is it possible that since my computer is...
  10. Windows defender : Anomalous "Actions Needed" message/icon

Windows defender : Anomalous "Actions Needed" message/icon: Icon says actions needed. When open Defender it says I need a restart. When I then expand that page, all is well. How do I clear this? See attachments for how this manifests 100323

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender shows action needed

2. windows defender says action needed

3. windows defender red x but no action needed

4. windows defender actions needed,
  5. actions needed windows 10,
  6. windows defender says actions needed,
  7. windows defender actions required,
  8. windows defender security center action needed,
  9. windows security actions needed,
  10. windows defender settings action required,
  11. windows defender action required,