Windows 10: Windows defender tells me nothing. How do I see what it's detecting?

Discus and support Windows defender tells me nothing. How do I see what it's detecting? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So I am copying a bunch of files from an old computer to my new laptop. Windows Defender pops up saying "Potentially Harmful Software Detected,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BradOZ, Mar 20, 2016.

1. BradOZ Win User

Windows defender tells me nothing. How do I see what it's detecting?

So I am copying a bunch of files from an old computer to my new laptop.

Windows Defender pops up saying "Potentially Harmful Software Detected, Click here for more Details"

I click it.

And see nothing.

Just the main interface with all the usual buttons.

I go to history and select view all detected items, click Vew Details...

Nothing there.

So.. is it just part of the new 'hide everything useful away from the user' theme that Windows 10 seems to be following or is there something wrong?

I dont necessarily need all the files but I would like to see what it is. Has Defender just blocked a file from being copied? Have I just copied an old virus to my new computer?

Why say click here for details if it tells you absolutely nothing.

:)

BradOZ, Mar 20, 2016
  2. DanoMn Win User

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in windows 10

How in the world do you turn on Windows Defender? Somehow the damn thing got turned off, and I have no idea how it happened. I tried following the solution on the Microsoft website, but it simply doesn't work. For one thing, it tells me to type in Defender
    using the start key, and then select Windows Defender. When I do that, I get the message that the Defender APP is turned off. That's it, nothing else. According to the instructions on the website, I should be able to click on 'Tools'. It NEVER COMES UP.
    What I'd like to know is how in the **** this got turned off in the first place. This is extremely frustrating, especially when the Security tab tells me that everything is ginger peachy.

<Original Title: Windows Defender>

<Moved from Windows>

DanoMn, Mar 20, 2016
  3. Problem Removing Malware in Windows Defender

my windows defender in windows 10 keeps telling me it has found 3 items that need removing, it then proceeds to do so then locks up. so far 48 hours have gone by without removal. My malaware scanner found nothing. I have done a defender offline scan that
    to found nothing. What next ?

[Original Title: windows defender]

Gerry-Kelly, Mar 20, 2016
  4. BradOZ Win User

OMG never mind. Eventually noticed the tiny blue link on the main page. Click that and then click show details and I can see the file name.
    Sorry to waste space on your forum. Haha maybe some other ignorant fool will do the same thing as me and find this helpful.

But still. You'd think if the user "Clicks here for more details" it would just show you the information instead of hiding it away in some non intuitive way.

BradOZ, Mar 20, 2016
  5. derekimo Win User
    Where is that?

derekimo, Mar 20, 2016
  6. BradOZ Win User
    It's only there after it has detected something. And it has a big orange clean button (think that is what it was called). Underneath that button is a some small blue text called "show details" or something to that effect.

I clicked that and a new window appears. The new window has a "show details" button. Then it will show the complete path and file name.

BradOZ, Mar 20, 2016
  7. derekimo Win User
    Ah, OK. Thanks. I was looking all over mine and didn't see a little blue link.

Good info anyway. *Smile

derekimo, Mar 20, 2016
  8. BradOZ Win User

YAY! I helped someone lol

If it's after you have taken action on the detection. Like clicking clean. Then it should appear in the history section if you click show all and view details.

BradOZ, Mar 20, 2016
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yes, the details link could be larger. A pity because I like WD tidy interface.

eLPuSHeR, Mar 20, 2016
  10. BradOZ Win User
    Yeha microsoft is retarded with interface design these days. Anytime I need to change pointer speed or configure sound systems or pretty much anything useful I now have to click through 3 screens before I can do anything. And it just ends up taking you to the old windows 7 interface ugh!.

Either put all the options in the new interface or get it out of the dam way! lol.

BradOZ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows defender tells me nothing. How do I see what it's detecting? - Similar Threads - defender tells nothing

2. Plz tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plz tell me what to do: I have window 10 fully updated hp pavilion notebook pc I have a short range issue with all bluetooth device pairing with my laptop it is having crack sound when moved around 15-20 cm from laptop please help....
  3. Plz tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Plz tell me what to do: I have window 10 fully updated hp pavilion notebook pc I have a short range issue with all bluetooth device pairing with my laptop it is having crack sound when moved around 15-20 cm from laptop please help....
  4. Plz tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. please tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    please tell me what to do: hello thanks for information , but i have another problem with my computer. my computer and external hard disk work very good for more than a year . i one day my computer speaker did not work i try to back up speaker but still did not work . then i try to recovery my computer...
  6. please tell me what to do

please tell me what to do: hello thanks for information , but i have another problem with my computer. my computer and external hard disk work very good for more than a year . i one day my computer speaker did not work i try to back up speaker but still did not work . then i try to recovery my computer...
  7. How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?

How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?: I just want to change the power settings. It tells me I want PowerPoint and won't let me remove the "point" or change anything, or give me anything that tells me how to change the power settings. It tells me I want Office, not off. No, I don't want Office. I want to turn the...
  8. How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?: I just want to change the power settings. It tells me I want PowerPoint and won't let me remove the "point" or change anything, or give me anything that tells me how to change the power settings. It tells me I want Office, not off. No, I don't want Office. I want to turn the...
  9. How do I make Windows Defender stop telling me that nothing is wrong

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make Windows Defender stop telling me that nothing is wrong: The way Defender keeps on demanding attention only to tell me it found no problems is irritating. I want it to shut up until something actually does need attention. submitted by /u/Roger-the-Dodger-67 [link] [comments]...
  10. Stopping Defender from telling me it found nothing?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stopping Defender from telling me it found nothing?: Is there a way to stop the alerts from Windows Defender that uselessly tell me it found nothing? If there's no problem, I don't need or want to hear about it. Just tell me if/when it finds something suspicious, then I'll deal with it. Otherwise STHU! 89565