Windows 10: Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features?

Discus and support Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently 'upgraded' to Win10 Version 1703 (Creator's), which uses Windows Defender Security Center, rather than good ol' Windows Defender. I have the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Electrojim, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features?

I recently 'upgraded' to Win10 Version 1703 (Creator's), which uses Windows Defender Security Center, rather than good ol' Windows Defender. I have the tray icon in the Notification Area set to always show, but it displays a yellow exclamation point if the 'App and browser control' feature is not completely engaged. I do not use MS Edge and have the Smart Screen utility turned off for that, plus the one for the MS App Store as well. If I turn these on the yellow ! goes away, but I'd rather leave them off. Is there any way to remove the yellow ! from the icon when certain utilities are purposely turned off? Alternatively, does anyone (really) know if no data will be forwarded to Redmond (or Mumbai or wherever) if these features are enabled but the associated applications (Edge/Store) are never used/visited? Thanks in advance.

:)

Electrojim, Aug 6, 2017
  2. Kaven Val Win User

Windows Defender

Hello Kenneth,

In order to assist you, we need to know if your Windows Defender notification icon is included on your startup item. Go to
    Task Manager then go to Startup tab to check if Windows Defender is enabled or not.

We'll wait for your reply.

Kaven Val, Aug 6, 2017
  3. lost icon

mydisplayisanwar, Aug 6, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features?

@Electrojim
    Currently, I don't believe you can do that. I do believe that in the forthcoming Fall Update (Sept), your choices for those options will be honored and you will not have the yellow ! I will have to hunt up the announcement on that if you need to see it.

Edit: I found it. Read the answer from MS on this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/creators-update-windows-defender-problem-device/9ddcdd41-c754-4167-9706-00756fc49248

Also this from Insider release notes for 16232

We’ve listened to feedback and in Windows Defender Security Center you will soon have the option to dismiss recommendations (yellow badged items). In this build, you will see the upcoming addition however it is under construction and not up and running yet. Stay tuned and we’ll let you know when we have it finished.

f14tomcat, Aug 6, 2017
  5. I created a schedule in Task Scheduler so it will auto scan at certain intervals. That is why the yellow shield is there. Beats me why it does not do this on it's own.

Josey Wales, Aug 6, 2017
  6. Thanks, guys,

Good info; we'll see if it's fixed in a forthcoming update. I marked as 'solved' for now.

Electrojim, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features?

1. Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features? - Similar Threads - Defender tray icon

2. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  3. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  4. Active Defender icon in notification tray?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Active Defender icon in notification tray?: There IS NO Tools menu anywhere. Does anyone know how to set Windows Defender to display its icon in the notification tray? Having a static shortcut icon in the taskbar accomplishes nothing....
  5. Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray

Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray: I am a Windows 10 user. I uninstalled Norton AV after I received advise to do so from the Microsoft community experts. I did remove it and activated Windows Defender. But the windows defender icon is not visible in the system tray. I tried various means. I am not an IT...
  6. Windows Defender System Tray Icon

Windows Defender System Tray Icon: Currently, I have the Windows Defender System Tray icon with an exclamation point on it --- When I open the program to see what actions are needed, there are none to be acted upon --- So I should get the green checkmark when I restart, but still, the exclamation point is...
  7. Windows Defender on the Icon Tray

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender on the Icon Tray: I know this may be a silly question, but my Windows Defender Icon in my system tray alerted me of a possible "Action Needed" warning... When I open it up, there are NO actions needed on any of the parameters specified ... In other words, instead of a Green OK symbol on the...
  8. Windows Defender Tray Icon

Windows Defender Tray Icon: Having just updated Windows to version 1709 16299.19 the Icon for Defender is no longer there. Checked notifications and defender is not even listed. In Task Manager start up there is just the word Windows and not defender ( see pic). So this new version of windows has...
  9. Defender tray notification icon deleted

Defender tray notification icon deleted: Hi, everyone *Biggrin Sorry to bother for small things, by mistake in CCleaner I deleted the startup entry of Defender notification icon. I remember I have seen a reg file here, in this forum but can't find it. *Banghead Could you be nice to help me finding it? I don't...
  10. Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon

Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon: With my taskbar startup tab being empty and not existing on my CCleaner startup tab, the "Windows Defender notification Icon" (MSASCuiL.exe) keeps finding a way to add itself to my startup, even after deleting its entry from the Run registry key. No matter what I do, every...