Windows 10: Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start

Discus and support Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The last few days, Defender has been trying and failing to update its definitions. A manual update from Defender fails. Now Defender isn't working.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by markweatherill, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start

The last few days, Defender has been trying and failing to update its definitions. A manual update from Defender fails. Now Defender isn't working. Pressing Defender's Start button gives the message that the underlying service isn't running. The service is set to automatic, it can be started but immediately stops.

Is there any known way to repair this short of a Windows refresh?

:)

markweatherill, Aug 6, 2015

2. After Update "Windows Creator Update" version 1703 i can't update

After that update i try to update, i try to update such window defender but failed it appear like this it won't move at all. I already make the service stop and restart but won't do anything Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start :( .
    Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start [​IMG]

RyoumaRyuunosuke, Aug 6, 2015
  3. trumpy81 Win User
    Windows Defender Won't turn on

I too am having a problem with Windows Defender after updating to version 1511.

When trying to start the Windows Defender Service I receive a message 'Error: 0x80070005 Access is denied'

I tried starting the Windows Defender Network Inspection Service first and then the Windows Defender Service but I still get the same error message. The Windows Defender Network Inspection Service appears to start correctly and continues to run, but the
    Windows Defender Service begins to start and then I receive the above message.

When I run C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe and then click on 'start' it appears to try and start but all I see is the spinning circle cursor. It eventually fails and gives an error: 0x800705b4

I have followed the trouble shooting guide without success and running sfc /scannow tells me that 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log ....'

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

trumpy81, Aug 6, 2015
  4. 1PW
    1PW Win User

Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start

Hello markweatherill:

Some security products of other companies may intentionally disable Windows Defender to prevent mutual interference.

Besides Windows Defender, has any other security product been installed on the system with Windows 10?

Thank you.

5. go to the tutorial for problem getting up dates

it worked for me, but i still need to that every other day but it works
    i'll look for it and try to send the link

njnitehawk, Aug 7, 2015
  6. I made a Windows 10 ISO, updated Windows 10 and it 'fixed' the problem.

markweatherill, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start

1. Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start - Similar Threads - Defender updates failed

2. Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied: I wanted to install XBOX app but whenever I install it I got the error > looks like something went wrong 0x80073D0A I looked this code and it seems it wants Windows Defender to be on, so I went to check Windows defender but I can't open it, whenever I click it the open with...
  3. Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied: I wanted to install XBOX app but whenever I install it I got the error > looks like something went wrong 0x80073D0A I looked this code and it seems it wants Windows Defender to be on, so I went to check Windows defender but I can't open it, whenever I click it the open with...
  4. Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. The AMD Crash Defender Service won't start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The AMD Crash Defender Service won't start: Hi all, After several BSOD's and lot's of troubleshooting:(Besides Mem-, HDD diagnostics and more... BIOS latest version, SFC /Scannow, AMD cleanup util., Reinstallation of Graphics card/Chipset/Audio/Network adapters and bleutooth...My system boots up very slow with the...
  6. Windows update service won't start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update service won't start: I manually try to set the windows update service to automatic and then start and it runs for 3 seconds then becomes disabled again. I have tried doing SFC and DISM won't work I keep getting an error 2. Windows update troubleshooter doesn't detect anything wrong but i get an...
  7. Windows Update Service won't start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Service won't start: I've tried pretty much everything there is on youtube in order to solve the problem. The main problem is I am not able to update my windows. I've tried the media creation tool. and whenever I try to open it my laptop restarts. I opened it in administrative mode also Please...
  8. Windows Defender Network Inspection Service fails to start

Windows Defender Network Inspection Service fails to start: Repeating Event ids 7000 and 7001 in Windows 10 version 2004 - Windows Defender Network Service fails to start, as "existing buffer is not applicable for this operation" or something like that. The service is set to Manual, an attempt to launch it manually results in error...
  9. Windows Defender Service service failed to start

Windows Defender Service service failed to start: Hello, I have a server 2016 on which I am unable to start the Windefend service. I'm getting an error upon starting the service in the System log: "The Windows Defender Service service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital...
  10. Windows defender service won't start (build 9860)

Windows defender service won't start (build 9860): Hi there Anybody encountered THIS problem yet (I have no other AV software running). Windows defender won't start. Cheers jimbo 2726