Windows 10: Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security

Discus and support Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've got Kaspersky KIS 2016 installed on Win10 and have turned (or tried to turn) Windows Defender off via Group Policy. It even says it's bee turned... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pokeefe0001, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security

I've got Kaspersky KIS 2016 installed on Win10 and have turned (or tried to turn) Windows Defender off via Group Policy. It even says it's bee turned off. But Speccy v1.28.709 says:
    Windows Defender
    Windows Defender Enabled
    Firewall
    Firewall Enabled
    Display Name Kaspersky Internet Security
    Antivirus
    Antivirus Disabled
    Display Name Windows Defender
    Virus Signature Database Up to date

On a Win7 PC, Speccy says"
    Windows Defender
    Windows Defender Enabled
    Firewall
    Firewall Enabled
    Antivirus
    Antivirus Enabled
    Virus Signature Database Up to date

Now, that "Windows Defender Enabled" on both PCs is a bit worrisome, but I assume (hope!) it's a Speccy bug. What about the Win10 antivirus status? Is that also the Speccy problem? Do I really have no antivirus support active on Win10, or is Speccy just looking in the wrong place? Kaspersky thinks all is well, but I don't know if it can really tell.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jan 1, 2016

2. Defender turned off my Kaspersky

One day I got a notification "Security and Maintenance, both Windows defender and Kaspersky Internet Security is turned off" when I click it, it opens a small window,

Kaspersky Internet Security Off

Windows Defender Snooze

will only let me turn on defender, not Kaspersky...

please help, thanks

(windows 10)

NoahChisholm, Jan 1, 2016
  3. Windows Defender vs Kaspersky Internet Security

Srimadhwa B,

Thank so much for your reply. This information is very helpful.

Extraordinarylady, Jan 1, 2016
  4. awpyt Win User

Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security

TL/DR, you dont know what antivirus to choose. Both Defender and Kapersky are mediocre antivirus programs, but Microsoft does have an advantage in updated virus definitions and supported operating systems. As it comes with Windows already, it seems too good to be true. Kapersky is overpriced and clunky. Not meaning to bash Kapersky, but they got nothing on Microsoft in finding brand spanking new viruses. Even though I primarily use AVG (which is great), Windows Defender seems like a more promising choice when it comes to more thorough scans, and a simple interface so even your "grandma" can do it. As for "Windows Defender Enabled", Windows doesn't let you disable the self-protection interface completely. It's just for your safety and peace of mind. Honestly, I wouldn't choose either. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and AVG Free are just fine for me.

awpyt, Jan 1, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    To each his own. No antivirus is 100% good/great. It's just subjective. You have to add more security layers to be protected, and you can't be sure 100% either. An antivirus program alone isn't enough. You need to protect your browser(s) too.

Also, did you know AVG "spy" on you? And that it installs some dubious extensions on your browsers?

I don't want to bash AVG either, it's as good as anything else.

eLPuSHeR, Jan 1, 2016
  6. Ok. So some people like one security package (antivirus, firewall, et al.); others like others. I like Kaspersky and see no reason to change. But that really has nothing to do with my original question. Speccy says I've got antivirus disabled on Win10; it says I've got Kaspersky enabled on Win7. Is this a problem with Speccy or Kaspersky? How do I find out?

pokeefe0001, Jan 1, 2016
  7. I've answered my own question. I tried an EICAR antivirus test. I was able to save a file containing the eicar test string, but Kaspersky deleted the file what I tried accessing it. My Kaspersky antivirus is obviously working. The Belarc Advisor could see I was running Kaspersky antivirus. I guess Speccy has a problem with Win10..

pokeefe0001, Jan 1, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Windows defender does stay on somewhat....BUT if Windows defender was active <--- You would be getting updates everyday for Defender. That's the best way to tell if its ACTIVE.....just look in your update history. (Under Update & Security) *Smile
    I think you will find no recent updates for Defender.

OldMike65, Jan 2, 2016
  9. Vladimir Win User
    Defender is good for most users; but Avast is the best in my humble opinion.

Vladimir, Jan 2, 2016
  10. JP56 Win User
    Recently I've found Avast free slowing down clients' machines. Based on my experiences, I'm more & more tempted to push them towards paying for KIS.

11. BunnyJ New Member
    Go into the settings and see if defender is turned on or not. If you see an image like the one below you have Kaspersky on. I'm currently using a third party AV and this is what I get.

Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security [​IMG]

I hope this answers your question
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 29, 2016
  12. Steve C Win User
    I have KIS 2016 and Defender is turned off during the installation - you should see the screen at post 9. I'm quite pleased with the performance and features of KIS 2016, especially since I have a free licence from my bank *Smile

Steve C, Jan 29, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

I think it's a rather good AV and among the best overall,, but it's all a personal preference thing.

BunnyJ, Jan 29, 2016
  14. shmu26 Win User
    whether Defender turns itself off or not seems to be somewhat a matter of luck.
    I have installed Kaspersky on my system several times, and the last time, it did not turn off Defender.
    I used a registry hack that I got on this site, to turn it off.
    I have seen the same erratic results with other 3rd party AVs.

shmu26, May 21, 2016
  15. bltserv Win User
    Usually when you install KIS it will toggle Defender off. You will see the Notification that your unprotected for an instant as the change over takes place. I work a Retail Repair Place. See about 30 Computers a week. With Win 10 I find Kaspersky the least intrusive AV. It has its issues. Buy unlike other name brand FATWARE Anti Virus Programs. KIS For the cost its a good buy.

bltserv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security - Similar Threads - Defender Kaspersky Internet

2. Windows 11 vs Kaspersky Total Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 vs Kaspersky Total Security: I recently downloaded Windows 11 to my HP Envy laptop. I've been using Kaspersky Total Security for 6+ years with Windows 10 and earlier.Once I employed Windows 11, I am now unable to access the Kaspersky database to update the antivirus protection. The Kaspersky messages I...
  3. Windows 11 vs Kaspersky Total Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 vs Kaspersky Total Security: I recently downloaded Windows 11 to my HP Envy laptop. I've been using Kaspersky Total Security for 6+ years with Windows 10 and earlier.Once I employed Windows 11, I am now unable to access the Kaspersky database to update the antivirus protection. The Kaspersky messages I...
  4. configure defender (high) vs Kaspersky security cloud free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    configure defender (high) vs Kaspersky security cloud free: should I stick to built-in protection? submitted by /u/spookyghost690 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lb5gxh/configure_defender_high_vs_kaspersky_security/
  5. Windows Defender Or Kaspersky Internet Security?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Or Kaspersky Internet Security?: Which antivirus should I use??? Kaspersky Internet Security or Windows defender? Or both??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-or-kaspersky-internet-security/b4755732-7af4-4bd0-9f21-38d3bc66918f
  6. Windows Defender/Security and Kaspersky

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender/Security and Kaspersky: If I uninstall Kasperksy will Windows Defender/Security automatically take over? I am asking because I want to install Malwarebytes, but there is a known issue with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Thanks....
  7. KIS vs Kaspersky Total security !

KIS vs Kaspersky Total security !: Is KIS faster than Kaspersky Total security ? are the differences just the safe kids, backup and passwords manager ? 150139
  8. Kaspersky Internet Security

Kaspersky Internet Security: My laptop has been infected through flash drive. Any flash drive used on the laptop also gets infected with the following inscription"Secured by Kaspersky Internet Security 2017.bat" and "Readme.txt". Even after formatting, it reappears and swallows up any file transferred...
  9. Kaspersky Internet Security

Kaspersky Internet Security: Kaspersky Internet Security https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kaspersky-internet-security/fec409a7-ac7d-4edd-b0b5-a7438ceb1f0c"
  10. MSEdge vs Kaspersky Internet Security 19.0.0.1088(e) and (f)

MSEdge vs Kaspersky Internet Security 19.0.0.1088(e) and (f): I currently switched from Google Chrome over to MsEdge. I also use Kaspersky Internet Security. After experiencing innumerable problems from simple things like a sluggish cursor to screen lock up I started searching the forum pages for both products. Seems there is a long...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kaspersky internet security vs windows 10 security

2. kaspersky vs windows defender

3. windows security vs kaspersky

4. wi does defender vs kaspersky internet security,
  5. windows defender antivirus vs kaspersky,
  6. windows defender vs kaspersky,
  7. is kaspersky internet security 2020 better than windows 10 defender,
  8. Defender or KIS,
  9. does windows defender replace kaspersky,
  10. windows defender vs kaspersky total security,
  11. Windows defender settings when running kasperski total security ,