Windows 10: Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection

Discus and support Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My computer came with a McAfee antivirus trial subscription. Windows Defender will not run antivirus with another antivirus program running, My trial... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by alison1613, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection

My computer came with a McAfee antivirus trial subscription. Windows Defender will not run antivirus with another antivirus program running, My trial subscription has run out and I don't want to renew, but when I go to settings and check the antivirus status of Defender, it refers back to McAfee. Do I have to totally uninstall the McAfee? Or wait until they decide I'm really not going to renew (they keep saying they're extending, but not for how long; it's been 2 wks now).

:)

alison1613, Jul 28, 2018
  2. Le Boule Win User

Windows Defender Antivirus protection

In your previous threads you indicated you were using a third party antivirus program so I assume you are a "new" user of Windows Defender.

Any other security program installed?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b59cebc4f24/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

See the reply of quietman7 in this thread:windowsdefender wont turn on.

If the issue continues recommend you follow the steps in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include (but not limited to) running SFC, scanning for malware with programs such as the Emsisoft Emergency Kit or Malwarebytes and running
    the software removal tools for any security software (AVG, Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer (to include a trial copy of McAfee or Norton or another program that may have been preinstalled on a new computer).
    See List of
    anti-malware product removal tools
    and be sure to restart the computer after running such tools.

You might also want to review How to Use the Built-in Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10 Good
    article but ignore the ads!

If you cannot resolve these issues with Windows Defender please post back in this thread with further information.

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them.

Le Boule, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Windows Defender - antivirus?

Windows defender is a built in antivirus, that detects all type of threats.You do not need to install any 3rd party antivirus.

In windows 7 and earlier Microsoft security essentials was to be used with windows defender for a full system protection, but in Windows 8 and later windows defender's capabilities have been increased to make it a full fledged antivirus.

I suggest rolling with Windows Defender (preinstalled)+Malwarebytes for a full system security.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 28, 2018
  4. HTC
    HTC Win User

Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection

The State of Cryptocurrency

According to the reddit page i linked earlier, this is the solution:

• Disable Windows Real-Time Protection
    • Disable Cloud-delivered protection
    • Copy the .exe back over to the affected machine.
    • Add the .exe to the windows 10 defender exclusion list
    • Enable windows defender again to see if it would removed it again.
    • Startup claymore again.
    Here is how to add an exclusion:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...dd-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender-antivirus

Thema:

Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection

1. Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection - Similar Threads - Defender antivirus protection

2. Microsoft Defender VS Microsoft Defender Antivirus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender VS Microsoft Defender Antivirus?: Today, I uninstalled the Microsoft Defender app on my device.However, in Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Security providers, Microsoft Defender Antivirus is listed as my Antivirus. When I click on "Open app" for Microsoft Defender Antivirus, it just redirects...
  3. Microsoft Defender VS Microsoft Defender Antivirus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender VS Microsoft Defender Antivirus?: Today, I uninstalled the Microsoft Defender app on my device.However, in Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Security providers, Microsoft Defender Antivirus is listed as my Antivirus. When I click on "Open app" for Microsoft Defender Antivirus, it just redirects...
  4. Microsoft Defender vs other antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender vs other antivirus: i love Microsoft Defender because it's best! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-vs-other-antivirus/5a5853ae-f32f-4728-981f-1b5b34b3056c
  5. Microsoft Defender vs other antivirus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender vs other antivirus: i love Microsoft Defender because it's best! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-vs-other-antivirus/5a5853ae-f32f-4728-981f-1b5b34b3056c
  6. Microsoft Defender vs other antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. McAfee vs Defender Antivirus protection

McAfee vs Defender Antivirus protection: I bought a new computer that comes with McAfee VirusScan and Firewall already installed. By this being installed, the Windows Defender Antivirus and Firewall are turned off. The McAfee software is for 30 days trial. My questionIs Microsoft Window Defender software as good as...
  8. paid antivirus vs windows defender

paid antivirus vs windows defender: Paid antivirus vs. Windows Defender: Do you really need to pay for proper protection? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paid-antivirus-vs-windows-defender/26c89367-dcbe-44a7-b724-5fb98a4deeb1
  9. Windows Defender Antivirus vs others.

Windows Defender Antivirus vs others.: To, Microsoft Community Hi, this is Gavin. Using Microsoft Windows 10 OS Version 2004 OS Build 19041.546. I want help regarding Secuity / Antivirus of My Laptop. I would like to know how is "Microsoft Defender" Antivirus good for Laptop. How is "Microsoft Defender"...
  10. windows defender or other antivirus?

windows defender or other antivirus?: i just installed windows 10. i know there is the default windows defender, but i'm thinking of downloading another antivirus. which one should i download (preferably free)? or should i stick to the built-in one? 67092

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is windows defender enough reddit

2. windows defender vs other free antivirus

3. you are using other antivirus protection