Windows 10: Windows Defender wants to run at startup

Discus and support Windows Defender wants to run at startup in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since a very recent reinstall of Windows 10, Windows Defender now keeps wanting to be part of Start-up..In the past it seems to me that it was only... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Razz, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Razz Win User

Windows Defender wants to run at startup

Since a very recent reinstall of Windows 10, Windows Defender now keeps wanting to be part of Start-up..In the past it seems to me that it was only activated if your anti-virus protection was off or if none was installed. Now it seems as if the intention of Windows Defender has changed to be actively running when windows starts.

Can I allow it to run along with my antivirus & anti-malware programs?

:)

Razz, Apr 2, 2017

2. Does Windows Defender autorun on startup in Windows 10...

The core of Windows Defender is its Antimalware Service Executable, aka the Antimalware Engine (MsMpEng.exe), and this file runs automatically at startup – but the Windows Defender user interface (MSASCui.exe)
    doesn’t run automatically. So in order to get the icon at startup, you have to run the user interface at startup. Windows includes a
    Startup folder just so users can run programs automatically at startup (without editing the registry), so you can get your Defender icon by just dropping a shortcut for
    MSASCui.exe into the
    Startup folder:

Is Windows Defender Icon Supposed to be in System Tray?

The Startup shortcut method also gives you the option for an automatic update and/or Quick Scan along with your icon.
    You just enter the run line for the desired option as the location (target)
    of the shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -Update -hide

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -QuickScan -hide

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -UpdateandQuickScan -hide

We can use these predefined startup lines to make the icon/task setup a piece of cake:

1.) Select and copy the line for the option you want.

2.) Right-click on the desktop and select
    New > Shortcut and then paste the run line as the location (target), and name the shortcut.

3.) Open File Explorer:
    Start Menu > File Explorer; and type (or copy and paste)
    shell:startup (user Startup folder) or
    shell:common startup (common Startup folder) into the
    Quick access box to open the Startup folder.

4.) Then drag and drop the shortcut into the Startup folder. All done!

In case anyone was wondering how Brink’s reg file works, it actually just starts the Windows Defender user interface by adding exactly the same startup line to the Run key for the current user. Here’s the entire contents of the file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Created by: Shawn Brink

; Windows 10 Help Forums

; Tutorial: Hide or Show Windows Defender Notification Area Icon in Windows 10

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"Windows Defender"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MSASCui.exe\" -hide"

GreginMich, Apr 2, 2017
  3. Defender wants to run a scan too often.

Almost every time I turn on my computer, Defender needs to run a scan, even if has only been a couple of hours, this is very annoying, what can I do to rectify this?

Peter Mannion, Apr 2, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

You can have only one Anti-Virus program running on your computer or they will conflict. When you install a 3rd party AV product, Windows Defender automatically disables. You can run Malware programs like Malwarebytes along with Windows Defender.
    What is your 3rd party AV Software?

spunk, Apr 2, 2017
  5. Razz Win User
    -- I know that Windows Defender always used to disable when you have a 3rd. party AV product. But after my recent reinstall of Windows 10, it has put itself into the list of startup programs. I removed it several times and it keeps coming back.

-- I have Kaspersky Total Security 2017 and also running real-time, Reason Core Security (Free).

Razz, Apr 2, 2017
  6. Razz Win User
    Upon further investigation, I notice that what's in the startup is the Windows Defender Notification Icon (MSASCuil.exe).

What I'm still not clear on is what's stated within the highlighted bit on the top image below.

The bottom image shows the Windows Defender Notification Icon (MSASCuil.exe) within the Startup.

Windows Defender wants to run at startup [​IMG]

Razz, Apr 2, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    It is safe to let Defender run as an on-demand file scanner (or periodically scheduled) even with another AV providing real-time protection. Scanning files won't load Defender's memory-resident AV protection, so there should be no conflict.

MSASCuiL is the user interface and puts the icon in the notification area. This has been a startup item since 1607 was released. On its own, MSASCuiL does not load the memory-resident AV either.

Are you sure you actually had 1607 before your recent repair-install? If you had in fact upgraded from 1511 to 1607 then this would be the first time you would have seen this behaviour.

Defender's memory-resident AV services (if running) are shown in Task Manager on the Services tab as WinDefend and on the Details tab as MsMpEng.exe. With your other AV running this should be shown as 'Disabled' in Services. If not, try reinstalling your other AV.

You can make the icon disappear from the notification area by killing MSASCuiL in Task Manager. You cannot remove it from start up (well, you can, but Defender puts it back again at reboot). If you want to make the icon go away...

Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon

The icon will reappear (and stay there until you kill it) if you ever open Defender (because doing so runs MSASCuiL).

Bree, Apr 2, 2017
  8. WOT
    WOT Win User

I didn't read all of the threads but you can just disable the Defender notifications in the startup tab. That will try to start even if you have a 3rd party AV running in the active mode. Also, I am sure you are aware that you can have some of the AVs running in a passive mode along side of Defender. Avast is one that offers that option but I chose not to use it and now Avast is the exclusive protector of my PC.

9. Razz Win User
    Thanks for the info Bree. In the Services tab within Task Manager, WinDefend is shown as stopped (see top image). In the Details tab there is no indication of MsMpEng.exe (see bottom image).

Razz, Apr 2, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Then Defender is set up as it should be when another AV is installed. The optional 'limited periodic scan' is a safe 'second opinion' - up to you whether you leave it turned on.

11. Bree New Member
    That will only work while Defender's real-time protection is turned off (as it is when you have another AV). The first thing MsMpEng.exe does when run is to check all it's registry keys and reset them if they've been modified - including that startup one.

Thema:

1. Windows Defender wants to run at startup - Similar Threads - Defender wants run

2. I want to run Windows Defender anti-virus application independently

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I want to run Windows Defender anti-virus application independently: I have Malwarebytes as my virus protection software but I wanted to run a scan with Windows Defender independently.Do I have to stop/suspend Malwarebytes in order to run Windows Defender?Why am I not able to run scans by two different anti-virus software programs...
  3. I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup of Windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup of Windows.: I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup on Windows 10. The executable happens to be a process monitor that I have used for years on Windows 7 and earlier versions Procexp64.exe but the specifics shouldn't matter. It was quite easy to add it as a simple...
  4. Windows Defender not running

Windows Defender not running: I did a few searches of how I can turn on Windows Defender, and nothing seems quite right, so here we go. I can find Windows Security options in my Settings folder, and see where WinDef is turned off. However, when I try to turn it on, it says that I need to go to the...
  5. WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT RUNNING?

WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT RUNNING?: [ATTACH]When I open Windows Defender, only thisrefer to image shows. No Interface. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-not-running/d7c808fb-2889-49f1-bca4-51741aa532bb
  6. Mcafee is wanting to download renewal? I run Defender.

Mcafee is wanting to download renewal? I run Defender.: Mcafee say my subscription ran out and wants me to download something. I am not running Mcafee on my computer. Says it is needed to prevent malware. I run Defender regularly. I just ran a full scan of Microsoft Safety Scanner and it did not find anything. This Mcafee screen...
  7. Windows defender not running

Windows defender not running: Hello, my windows defender does not run at all, I saw a thread in the forum about this, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-and-the-entire-security-system-in/01aef7c5-41b9-4264-86b3-4c257fdfdbff, I tired all the steps here but nothing has...
  8. Windows defender at startup

Windows defender at startup: How to ensure windows defender is active at start up? Win 10! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/windows-defender-at-startup/d9a1387a-c2c0-4547-ad1d-790dfe45c866
  9. 2 Windows Defender notification icons running at startup?

2 Windows Defender notification icons running at startup?: Hello-, This is a fairly new PC and i'm not sure if I ever noticed this before but anyone know or see this before? 2 Windows Defender instances running at startup? I installed Emsisoft about a month ago I don't believe that wouldn't have anything to do with it. I only have...
  10. Running Startup Repair runs Windows Defender Offline Instead

in Windows 10 Support
    Running Startup Repair runs Windows Defender Offline Instead: And now here's another screw-up. I'm in here trying to fix Windows Defender and I tell it to run offline. Restart the computer and let it run. Only problem is, how do you get it to stop running? Every other time Windows is forced into a situation where Startup Repair is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. trying to set defender startup to autmatic put gets no access

2. windows defender wants top scan every startup

3. how we can stop defender to runthe task at predefined time