Windows 10: Windows Defender Won't Turn On

Discus and support Windows Defender Won't Turn On in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; O.k....Out of curiosity I installed Avast free AV.....then decided to stay with Windows Defender, and so uninstalled Avast......now, Defender won't... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Del 80, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Del 80 Win User

Windows Defender Won't Turn On

O.k....Out of curiosity I installed Avast free AV.....then decided to stay with Windows Defender, and so uninstalled Avast......now, Defender won't turn on, it tells me that "another anti virus programme" is running...... any help to turn it back on appreciated.......Del.

:)

Del 80, Sep 14, 2017

2. Windows Defender won't turn on when I try to turn it on. It says operation failed because it timed out.

* Original Title: Windows Defender

Windows Defender won't turn on when I try to turn it on. It says operation failed because it timed out. Is there a way to turn it on?

JosephZhao, Sep 14, 2017
  3. kat4dogs Win User
    Message that Windows defender is turned off. I can't turn it on.

I get a message that windows defender is turned off, but when I try to turn it back on it times out and won't turn on. What do I do?

* Original title: windows defender

kat4dogs, Sep 14, 2017
  4. Windows Defender Won't Turn On

TairikuOkami, Sep 14, 2017
  5. Del 80 Win User
    Thanks for that, I did try it, but to no avail......just wondering if system restore would work ?.........

Del 80, Sep 14, 2017
  6. If you have got one prior to installing Avast, it might.

You can also try to run this as admin:

[Batch] Windows Defender Enable - Pastebin.com

TairikuOkami, Sep 14, 2017
  7. Del 80 Win User
    O.k.....Just done a system restore, back to the day before I installed Avast......Windows Defender is now back on !!......Thanks for the replies......Del.

Del 80, Sep 14, 2017
  8. Del 80 Win User

Just an update to this thread.......on a second laptop, I couldn't use system restore to remove Avast, as I didn't know when it was installed (not my machine).....so used the Avast uninstaller, it worked fine, within seconds of the uninstall Windows Defender had turned itself back on, and was saying that it needed to do a scan......Del.

Del 80, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Won't Turn On - Similar Threads - Defender Won't Turn

2. Windows Defender is not active and won't turn on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender is not active and won't turn on: Good afternoon, I am having some trouble with windows defender.In my infinite wisdom I used a program to deactivate windows defender in an attempt to remove what I thought was bloatware. Turns out I didn't know what I was doing and now I am trying to turn windows defender...
  3. Windows Defender is not active and won't turn on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender is not active and won't turn on: Good afternoon, I am having some trouble with windows defender.In my infinite wisdom I used a program to deactivate windows defender in an attempt to remove what I thought was bloatware. Turns out I didn't know what I was doing and now I am trying to turn windows defender...
  4. [RESOLVED] Windows Defender won't turn on no matter what

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [RESOLVED] Windows Defender won't turn on no matter what: Basically, I'm trying to turn Windows Defender on, but the thing keeps going back to off.Video link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resolved-windows-defender-wont-turn-on-no-matter/b3937075-5380-4b77-9314-478655119026
  5. [RESOLVED] Windows Defender won't turn on no matter what

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [RESOLVED] Windows Defender won't turn on no matter what: Basically, I'm trying to turn Windows Defender on, but the thing keeps going back to off.Video link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resolved-windows-defender-wont-turn-on-no-matter/b3937075-5380-4b77-9314-478655119026
  6. why won't windows defender turn back on?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why won't windows defender turn back on?: error code 0x80070005 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-wont-windows-defender-turn-back-on/07e4aeb7-ff3e-4ec4-aeb4-230bbada877b
  7. Windows Defender Antivirus won't Turn on after Uninstalling McAfee

Windows Defender Antivirus won't Turn on after Uninstalling McAfee: I uninstalled my antivirus software which is mcafee live safe and Windows defender antivirus did not become active automatically. I can't find a way to re enable it. [ATTACH] [Original Title: Windows Defender Antivirus]...
  8. My windows Defender won't turn back on

My windows Defender won't turn back on: I open up Windows defender Antivirus and I click restart Windows Defender Protection and it reads error cant turn Windows on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/my-windows-defender-wont-turn-back-on/5109e040-df5f-43a7-98af-f08f1d525957"
  9. Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on

Windows Defender Antivirus won't turn on: I get prompts telling me I need to turn on Windows Defender Antivirus every time I turn on my laptop. When I go to the security center I do not have the option to switch any of the toggles to On, they just remain grey. Windows 10 came installed on this laptop. I have not...
  10. defender won't turn on - problem with update?

defender won't turn on - problem with update?: Okay - tried to turn on defender got error code 0x800b0100 Googled that and the Windows update troubleshooter says I have a missing or corrupt file but the only help page I could find was for 8.1, not Windows 10 (which I'm running) so I'm not sure where to go from here. So...