Windows 10: Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login

Discus and support Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As the title says, the whole desktop freezes after I've logged in. I can get the Ctrl + Alt + Delete menu up but task manager wont appear until the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JamieMckernan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login

As the title says, the whole desktop freezes after I've logged in. I can get the Ctrl + Alt + Delete menu up but task manager wont appear until the desktop finally sorts itself out. My wallpaper doesn't appear while it's frozen (grey screen) and the little cortana mic is also out of place while frozen too.

Things I've already tried to do:

1. Use safe-mode - Now while this solves the problem, no freezing. It's no good having my computer in safe mode.

2. Disable startup programs in safe-mode - Done, I have no programs in the startup section of taskmanager (or shell:startup either) but the freezing still happens.

3. Use SFC in command prompt - No errors after several scans and it's not solved the issue.

4. Use DISM in command prompt - No errors after several scans and it's not solved the issue.

5. Use Clean Boot - Again, didn't fix anything.

6. Rebuild the BCD - Couldn't because C:\Boot doesn't exist

7. Look at the source of crashing in the reports - All the information I get is:

Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped responding and was closed

Date
    ‎16/‎08/‎2018 02:48

Status
    Not reported

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppTermFailureEvent
    OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057

Which doesn't seem to help much.

8. Check for updates - Nothing to update

9. Uninstall recently installed programs - I thought this might help, but it didn't.

I've also had LockApp.exe crash a few times (In the background, I didn't realise) too which might have something to do with it:

Source
    LockApp.exe

Summary
    Stopped responding and was closed

Date
    ‎16/‎08/‎2018 10:28

Status
    Report sent

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy\LockApp.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: MoAppHang
    Package Full Name: Microsoft.LockApp_10.0.17134.1_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
    Application Name: praid:WindowsDefaultLockScreen
    Application Version: 10.0.17134.1
    Application Timestamp: 5acd88b2
    Hang Signature: 2264
    Hang Type: 4194304
    OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 875f
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 2264
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 875f
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 285fbda00040586876f06c1f7650e72c (1652939945629771564)

I'm really lost. Is anyone able to offer advice on how to stop this crashing?

:)

JamieMckernan, Aug 16, 2018

2. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Aug 16, 2018
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login

Windows 10 Login Crash Loop

Hi David,

• Which screen are you referring to?
    • Are you able to login to Desktop?
    • Are you able to see the login screen?

The power icon referred in the steps is present at the login screen. If you are able to see the login screen where you enter the password to go to Desktop, then you need to follow those steps. These steps to be followed if you are able to reach to
    login screen but unable to go to Desktop.

Please provide us more information related to the issue so that we can assist you further.

Rohit Siddegowda, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login

1. Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login - Similar Threads - desktop freezes crashes

2. Windows crashes after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes after login: My PC starts up fine, I enter my pin, and then Windows crashes. I have restarted many times and every time it does one of these:- black screen with nothing on it. I can move the cursor around but can't do anything.- my desktop is there, but none of the startup programmes...
  3. Windows crashes after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows crashes after login: My PC starts up fine, I enter my pin, and then Windows crashes. I have restarted many times and every time it does one of these:- black screen with nothing on it. I can move the cursor around but can't do anything.- my desktop is there, but none of the startup programmes...
  4. Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login: Hi,As shown in the image, after login the desktop freeze after login.Even after waiting for half a day, nothing happen. The cursor keep loading at the bottom. Cannot go to Task Manager or any other function.Right click, cannot enter Display Setting or Personalize or any other...
  5. Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login: Hi,As shown in the image, after login the desktop freeze after login.Even after waiting for half a day, nothing happen. The cursor keep loading at the bottom. Cannot go to Task Manager or any other function.Right click, cannot enter Display Setting or Personalize or any other...
  6. Windows 10/Desktop Freeze After Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login: Had this issue after the Nov update and was able to uninstall the offending update and disable for a month, but now I'm forced to download it and same issue is back. On start-up, logging into windows takes longer than usual. Once the desktop shows up, there is no wallpaper...
  8. Freezes after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Freezes after login: Every time I restart or shut down my computer, there is a chance where my computer freezes after I login. Also it attempts to update but it doesn’t even update anyways since I check the update history and it says it failed. So pretty much it resets twice. My desktop shows up...
  9. Windows 10 crash/freeze after attempted login

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 crash/freeze after attempted login: Hi, just upgraded from win 7 to win 10, the system boots up fine untill i get to a blue screen that says, "Hi there, welcome back!" followed by a space for my password. Where the trouble starts is if i enter my password the computer does a sort of freeze, everything stays...
  10. Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10: Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but I could not find a similar thread. I received the notice that the windows 10 update was available for a windows 7 laptop we have. The install appeared to go fine, it did not give me any error messages on this. However now that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to fix a desktop thats freezing itself

2. after logging in on pc crash

3. windows lockapp freeze

4. moapphang cortana,
  5. lockapp.exe crashed windows 10,
  6. pc crashed after login,
  7. freezes log in window,
  8. desktop freezes after login win 10,
  9. windows crashes the moment it login,
  10. windows desktop freeze,
  11. praid:windowsdefaultlockscreen