Windows 10: Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in

Discus and support Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was using my computer as normal on Sunday 3/11/18 when around 6:30pm the sound stopped working. About an hour later, I had been able to do other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steviebabs2685, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in

I was using my computer as normal on Sunday 3/11/18 when around 6:30pm the sound stopped working. About an hour later, I had been able to do other stuff on it. Later on that night, I went to restart it only to find out when I did, the internet was no longer connected and I couldn’t open the start menu or anything else. I also got this message when trying to resolve the internet issue: “The Diagnostics Policy Service Is Not Running”, but I wasn’t able to do anything further to try and solve the problem. I then rebooted again, and that’s when I found that when I logged in, that after a few seconds the screen goes black. I am able to move the cursor and use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to logout, lock, switch the user, put it in sleep mode, shut it down and reboot. Unfortunately there is no restore point to go back to before this all occurred. Please help!

Steve

:)

Steviebabs2685, Mar 13, 2018

2. Screen goes black a few seconds after startup with a second monitor connected

As this issue is related to your hardware and your drivers are all up-to-date, we recommend that you contact the device manufacturer for further assistance.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Mar 13, 2018
  3. Screen goes black a few seconds after startup with a second monitor connected

I'm trying to connect a second monitor to my computer. I have one monitor connected via the VGA plug and am trying to use an HDMI cord for the second monitor. Everything starts up normal until it comes to the login screen, then my first monitor goes black.
    Unplugging the HDMI cable does nothing. To regain a picture I have to completely turn the computer off and unplug the HDMI cable, then turn the computer back on.

JoshuaRoberts1991, Mar 13, 2018
  4. Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in

Have you tried booting into Safe mode and see if the screen and everything works correctly? If you can get there then we can try some troubleshooting options.
    • Boot to Safe mode using one of the options in the following link
    https://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how...-the-easy-way/

Techjourney, Mar 13, 2018
  5. Tried safe mode, but when going to login, I get “sihost.exe unknown hard error”. After clicking the start menu or use the windows key, the screen goes black again. I have no problems with internet connection on my iPad or iPhone.

Steviebabs2685, Mar 14, 2018
  6. Are you able to access safe mode with command prompt?

Techjourney, Mar 14, 2018
  7. I was briefly able to to input the commands
    . The commands were successfully completed. I then rebooted with no result.

Steviebabs2685, Mar 14, 2018
  8. Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in

Once you are safe mode does the screen stay on or go black again? See if you can access safe mode again and copy and paste the following commands. Do you have a backup of your files if you need to reinstall?

Step 1:
    1. syteminfo > 0 & notepad 0 ( this will open notepad, please copy and paste the contents to your reply.)
    2. rstrui ( this will open system restore, try to restore to a point before the problem occurred)

Step 2:
    1. Sfc /Scannow
    2. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

let me know if these run with any errors

9. Okay, I did some research on this error and it seem to be an issue with an update that has affected several users.

See if you can boot into,safe mode with networking then try rhe following options.

Option 1:
    • Press Windows logo key + R, type ms-settings in the Run box then select OK. This opens Settings menu
    • In Settings, choose Update & security > WindowsUpdate , and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC

Option 2:

• booting into safe mode with command prompt
    • type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press Enter.
    • exit and restart and try logging in with the default administrator account
    • check for and install the latest updates.
    • If this works then you may need to create a new user account and copy your current user to the new the new user profile created.

10. Stays on until I try to click Start and then goes black, but I’m still able to see cursor. Like I told you previously, there are no restore points created to before this occurred. No backup of files in case I need to reinstall which is something I hope not to have to do. By the way, I’m replying to you from my iPad because of the situation with the PC.

Steviebabs2685, Mar 15, 2018
  11. Option 1 isn’t working because trying to login after selecting option 5 to boot into safe mode with networking and then pressing windows key + r after I see icons on the screen, it just goes black again. I also got the same sihost error. I was able to login to admin account and waited for setup to complete. Once complete, screen went black again with curser still able to move. I then left it for 1/2 hr to see if the desktop would load, but screen went black.

Steviebabs2685, Mar 15, 2018
  12. Okay, sorry I forgot you mentioned no restore points. Did you try option 1 above. Does it still go blank when you use the Windows key combination instead of clicking on Start?

What happens if you boot directly into safe mode with command prompt. Are you able to enter any commands?
    If so try to do the following from command prompt:

option 1:

Type or copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each one.

Change the all c:/ commands to the correct Windows drive letter below. If you need help, copy and paste the following command:

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter)

1. C:\
    2. cd c:\windows\system32\config\regback
    3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed

4. cd windows/system32/config
    5. md backup
    6. Copy *.* backup
    7. cd regback
    8. copy *.* ..
    9. Restart computer and test

Option 2:

1. Back up your files using using one of the following options:
    EaseUs todo backuphttps://www.easeus.com/backup-software/
    How to Backup Data without Booting into Windows - EaseUS

Macrium Reflect free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfreehttps://reflect.macrium.com/webtutorial/How_to_create_a_disk_image.asp

2. Reset or Reinstall Windows 10

Reset Windows 10
    Reset this PC: Restore Windows 10 to factory settings without losing files

How to Clean install Windows 10https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...625b08?auth=1p

Techjourney, Mar 15, 2018
  13. Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in

I tried this, Option 1:

• Press Windows logo key + R, type ms-settings in the Run box then select OK.

but after hitting enter when putting ms-settings in, I got a curser/loading icon and then it immediately went black.

with this, bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter)

1. C:\
    3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed

4. cd windows/system32/config
    5. md backup
    6. Copy *.* backup
    7. cd regback
    8. copy *.* ..
    9. Restart computer and test

I got as far as c:\windows\system32\config\regback. I wasn’t able to input any other commands because when I tried to, hitting enter just resulted in “the system cannot find the path specified.” and I wasn’t able to put in cd windows/system32/config. The commands stayed as c:\windows\system32\config\regback. So I was only able to get up to step 3.

Steviebabs2685, Mar 16, 2018
  14. I mistyped the command on step 4, please retry as follows:

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter)

1. c:\

4. copy *.* c:\windows\system32\config (press enter)
    5. Select ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied
    6. Restart computer and test

Techjourney, Mar 16, 2018
  15. Do I copy everything on step 4 or just what’s in the asterisks?

Steviebabs2685, Mar 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in

1. Windows desktop screen goes black after a few seconds of logging in - Similar Threads - desktop screen goes

2. monitor goes black for a few seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitor goes black for a few seconds.: So I have two monitors. The second one always gets detected as no1 when plugged in. It doesnt matter if its HDMI or DP.The main monitor set to 2 in the control panel is a viewsonic HDR monitor. HDMI 2.1 and Dp1.4a.This happens only in 1 game. during normal use this has never...
  3. monitor goes black for a few seconds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    monitor goes black for a few seconds.: So I have two monitors. The second one always gets detected as no1 when plugged in. It doesnt matter if its HDMI or DP.The main monitor set to 2 in the control panel is a viewsonic HDR monitor. HDMI 2.1 and Dp1.4a.This happens only in 1 game. during normal use this has never...
  4. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  5. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  6. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Computer Screen Goes Black For a Few Seconds OR Bluescreens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Screen Goes Black For a Few Seconds OR Bluescreens: Hi. I've had my computer for just over a year now, and recently I've started to have this weird issue.So, this error happens at a random time, it could happen after 10 minutes or 10 hours. What happens is I will be using my computer, and randomly the screen will go black and...
  8. screen goes black for a few seconds after enabling and disabling full screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen goes black for a few seconds after enabling and disabling full screen: it goes black for like 3-5 seconds started happening when i got my pc and its starting to get annoying https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-goes-black-for-a-few-seconds-after-enabling/b0fe59bc-4580-4d3a-a5cb-9148e710af19
  9. My screen goes black every few seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My screen goes black every few seconds: My windows 10 screen goes black every few seconds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-screen-goes-black-every-few-seconds/10b40768-8ba8-478a-833d-893b3fdc06b4
  10. Screen goes black for a few seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen goes black for a few seconds: Occasionally my PC goes all black for several seconds (and for not logical reason) after update to Windows 10 Home, version 1803, OS Build 17134. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but is annoying. Any help would be appreciated. BillyS...