Windows 10: Windows doesnt activate after mobo + cpu change.

Discus and support Windows doesnt activate after mobo + cpu change. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey, I today swapped from my AMD 8370 to an Intel Xeon 1231v3 and now when I'm trying to activate windows I get error with code: 0x8007232B. Do I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by roope jukkara, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Windows doesnt activate after mobo + cpu change.

Hey, I today swapped from my AMD 8370 to an Intel Xeon 1231v3 and now when I'm trying to activate windows I get error with code: 0x8007232B.
    Do I need to reinstall windows or buy a new key what to activate with?

:)

roope jukkara, Feb 8, 2016
  2. billbill2 Win User

I cant activate win 10 after hardware change (mobo, cpu)

hello

I have link licence to Microsoft account (free update from win 7 to win 10)

and after hardware change (motherboard, cpu) i cant activate win 10

ty

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install & upgrade

billbill2, Feb 8, 2016
  3. EzzenLee Win User
    Windows 10 cannot activate after changing motherboard and CPU

Hi, Neilpzz. Thanks for reply.

- I bought the key online. Windows 10 pro.

- I have a asrock mobo at first.

- Then changed to a OEM motherboard from Acer. Due to this asrock mobo was sent to warranty. The key unable to activate in normal way. I have to use cmd prompt and key in:

Slmgr -ipk (key)

Slmgr\ato

In order to activate it

- this time I have changed to a ryzen mobo and cpu, the rest of hardware are the same.

- key unable to activate as stated above. Tried all possible way including troubleshooting activation.

Any clue?

EzzenLee, Feb 8, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Windows doesnt activate after mobo + cpu change.

Those hardware changes tell Microsoft you have installed Windows on a new computer. Your version of Windows may be OEM which is allowed only on the computer it is first installed on. The Retail and Upgrade versions allow installing on a REPLACEMENT computer but not on 2 computers at the same time.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-f2e9c5aba248
    If it is the OEM version you'll need to buy new.

Berton, Feb 8, 2016
  5. So I need to buy a new key?
    I have access to a windows pro key trough my dreamspark, could I somehow upgrade from the home version to PRO version without losing my programs / data?

6. Berton Win User
    Yes. Win7 had an Anytime Upgrade feature where one could buy the Pro version without losing data, Win10 may have similar but I haven't had a need to check yet. Generally Upgrades keep things in place but from one base version to another, such as Win7 to Win10, may cause some programs not to work. Doing the Upgrade from Home to Pro shouldn't lose anything.

Berton, Feb 8, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The upgrade version is only transferrable to a new computer if a retail version of Windows was the source to begin with. Upgrade an OEM version and it stays OEM.

Go to settings, updates & security, activation screen. Try the dreamspark Pro key. If that doesn't work, then trigger the upgrade to Pro by entering the Windows 10 Pro generic key - once you get the upgrade to Pro, then try activating it by changing the product key again to the dreamspark Pro key.

Windows 10 Pro generic product key:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
  8. Windows doesnt activate after mobo + cpu change.

I tried this, it says that my windows couldn't be updated and redirects me to this page: https://partner.support.services.mic...windows/setup/ , I got my hands on a Win10 home key from dreamspark, but when I try to activate it I get an error saying that I should try later, error code 0x8007232B.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you running the regular edition of Windows 10, or a single language or "N" version? Single language and "N" editions have different product keys.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
  10. I have tried with Windows 10 N Multiple Editions 32/64-bit and Windows 10 Multiple Editions 32/64-bit.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt and run these:

slmgr /dli

wmic os get Caption, Version, OperatingSystemSKU, OSProductSuite

Post the results and we can tell what version you currently have installed.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
  12. Windows doesnt activate after mobo + cpu change. [​IMG]
    This is what I got.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

You, more than likely, had an illegal activation on your Windows to begin with. KMSClient indicates that. That's why you can't activate it now. Going to have to research how to clear the KMS activation method.....

maybe @Superfly will come along and post how to clear the MKS activation method, then you can use the dreamspark product keys to activate it legitimately.

Or you can wipe your existing Windows 10 and do a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
  14. Well that's interesting, I used the microsoft's media creation tool to install this windows. Should I just do a clean install with it and try to activate it after that?

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's what I would do. If you have the latest version of Windows 10 on a USB/DVD created by the Media Creation Tool, when you boot from the USB/DVD it will either read a product from the computer bios if the manufacturer put one there or will ask you for a product key. Enter your dreamspark Windows 10 product key there.

Now - disclaimer - I am by far no expert on dreamspark product keys and/or kms activation. KMS activation is used by corporations and education facilities to activate Windows provided to their employees and students. However, KMS activation is also used illegally by pirates to avoid having to pay for a Windows license. I suspect your dreamspark product key is not meant to be used with KMS activation since it was not accepted.

Anyway, the first opportunity to enter it in a clean install will tell you if it is going to work under normal activation.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows doesnt activate after mobo + cpu change. - Similar Threads - doesnt activate mobo

2. Activation error after MOBO CPU change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation error after MOBO CPU change: Been using this key since 2015, changed the mobo a couple times already. Never had a problem. This week I finally got a new CPU and a new mobo and have an issue activating Windows 11 Pro: Error 0xC004C060HelpATTTiago Gass...
  3. Activation error after MOBO CPU change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation error after MOBO CPU change: Been using this key since 2015, changed the mobo a couple times already. Never had a problem. This week I finally got a new CPU and a new mobo and have an issue activating Windows 11 Pro: Error 0xC004C060HelpATTTiago Gass...
  4. Windows won't activate after MoBo change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't activate after MoBo change: I need to reactivate Windows after I changed MoBo and CPU. I get the below message when trying the troubleshooter. Please help as I should not need to buy another license when it was fine prior to the change....
  5. "Windows is not activated" After installing new CPU/Mobo

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Windows is not activated" After installing new CPU/Mobo: I upgrade my computer's CPU & Mobo from the AMD FX series, to the AMD Ryzen series. Prior to this, I did the typical back up of files and what not; because, I knew that I would obviously have to re-install windows. I created a windows boot disk to a USB stick, so now I'm...
  6. Windows activation after mobo and cpu change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows activation after mobo and cpu change: Hello, I've recently replaced my mobo and cpu and now my Windows 10 is not activated. Before the hardware upgrade I'd checked the activation was linked to my Windows account and I'm signed in on that same account post-upgrade but the troubleshooter isn't working. When I...
  7. Activation failure after hardware changes. (cpu mobo ram)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation failure after hardware changes. (cpu mobo ram): Hello, I recently updated my hardware and I am now being asked to activate Windows. I do not have the product key from when I originally bought windows and the troubleshoot only recognises my MSI mobo (old one) not the Aorus (new one). However, my email address is linked...
  8. Windows Activation after mobo change

Windows Activation after mobo change: Hi I have a legitimate version of Windows that I got many years ago as Windows 7. I have since upgraded this to Windows 10 and no longer have the CD with my product key stated on it - as I assumed my license was tied to my digital account. I have recently upgraded my mobo...
  9. Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade

Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade: I recently changed my mobo and cpu and after i had to reinstall windows but when it booted up. I noticed the watermark in the bottom right corner. And i tried to activate windows and i dindt succeed i tried the option to activate windows after a hardware change and i...
  10. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade: I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at...