Windows 10: Windows doesn't ask for your password when changing settings

Discus and support Windows doesn't ask for your password when changing settings in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am signed in as an admin in my pc and when you try to change settings that needs admin permission, it doesn't require your password. Is it totally... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by banachan, May 7, 2016.

1. banachan Win User

Windows doesn't ask for your password when changing settings

I am signed in as an admin in my pc and when you try to change settings that needs admin permission, it doesn't require your password. Is it totally normal or is there something wrong? If possible, is there a setting that allows me to require a password when changing admin settings?
    Thanks *Smile

:)

banachan, May 7, 2016
  2. LoisLohse Win User

Sync @msn.com e-mail

I have a newer laptop that had Windows 8.1 and upgrades to Windows 10. It brought over 2 @Hotmail.com accounts and 1 @gmail.com, but not my oldest account @msn.com. It says account settings are out of date, but choosing "fix account" doesn't change anything.
    Then it asks me to update the password. I enter the original password and save, but I'm not sure if it's asking me to change the password when it says to update it. Anyway, it still doesn't sync. Also, many of my folders show on this computer, but there
    is nothing in them! So none of that syncs either! Would going to a computer professional straighten this out?

LoisLohse, May 7, 2016
  3. Having problems in accessing cortana. (can't log in)

If password is incorrect when signing in with Cortana (as it requires your old password), it simply mean that you

should use your "sign in password when logging in to windows at start-up. It is often misunderstood and puzzling.

There's no need to change or reset your password as this won't help. Just simply input your logging in password to windows during start-up (for the old password it is asking) and that's it. It will then ask you to input a PIN number of your choice and all
    is set!

Kindly vote on below if this solves your current problem. Thanks...

NiloPontino, May 7, 2016
  4. Windows doesn't ask for your password when changing settings

What kind of settings are you changing? Do you have UAC set to max (Always Notify)?

TairikuOkami, May 7, 2016
  5. dskiller Win User
    did you used to use a mac or linux system? because those system did ask for a password for doing admin stuff.

windows doesnt ask for the passwords for installing anything or modifying files. it only pops up with a warning prompt and click to go on.

might be nice if they put it password requirement. less chance of installing malware and stuff.

dskiller, May 7, 2016
  6. By the way, if you apply this, it will ask for password, even if there is none. *Biggrin

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableInstallerDetection" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableLUA" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableSecureUIAPaths" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableUIADesktopToggle" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "FilterAdministratorToken" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "PromptOnSecureDesktop" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

TairikuOkami, May 7, 2016
  7. banachan Win User
    Thank you very much! It worked. *Biggrin

banachan, May 8, 2016
  8. banachan Win User

No, I've always used Windows. But thanks! *Smile

banachan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows doesn't ask for your password when changing settings - Similar Threads - doesn't ask password

2. "Let's finish setting up your device" dialog asked for windows password/pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Let's finish setting up your device" dialog asked for windows password/pin: The "Let's finish setting up your device" today asked for windows login credentials. This never happened before. A password reset request in the dialog seemed to have generated a genuine code from the ususal MS mail adress, though. Thus i'm asking myself: Is this behaviour...
  3. "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10: "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10:_______________________________________________________________________________Windows 10 21H2Build 19044.1889Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0Device HPP.S.:I checked for updates, Only an optional update,...
  4. "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10

"Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10: "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10:_______________________________________________________________________________Windows 10 21H2Build 19044.1889Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0Device HPP.S.:I checked for updates, Only an optional update,...
  5. "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10: "Change your password" doesn't show up in Windows 10:_______________________________________________________________________________Windows 10 21H2Build 19044.1889Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0...
  6. Windows 10 Asks to change for password when none was ever set up with computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Asks to change for password when none was ever set up with computer: After exit from standby mode Windows asks me to replace password, but since i didn't inserted it I cannot insert my previous password. Therefore I cannot use my computer...
  7. Windows password doesn't change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows password doesn't change: So I changed my Win10 password: Settings>Accounts>Sign-In options>Password>Change. It still takes my old password when logging into Windows though (and the new one doesn't work). Does anyone know what I have done wrong? submitted by /u/S4NKT3G [link] [comments]...
  8. is asking to change expired password on windows

is asking to change expired password on windows: is asking to change expired password on windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_books/is-asking-to-change-expired-password-on-windows/6ac1e122-7f99-4fc2-8eca-611ee10ab6c6
  9. Make Windows ask for admin password when trying to make changes

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Make Windows ask for admin password when trying to make changes: Hi, We have guests laptops at school for everyone but they keep making changes on the computer. How can i make Windows to ask for admin password when trying to make changes in the computer and when trying to run the installer? Google does not give me right results. 61453
  10. Windows folder share ask for password when there is no password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows folder share ask for password when there is no password: I have windows 10 pro 64 bit on my laptop and i want to share a folder to another laptop via wifi, but every time i try to connect from the other laptop it always ask for a username and a password but the laptop doesnt have any password, so i turned off password protected...