Windows 10: Windows Doesn't boot without boot disk. Changes the boot order no luck

Discus and support Windows Doesn't boot without boot disk. Changes the boot order no luck in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Did a re install with boot disk, not when the computers boots, its asking for the boot disk. I tried changing the startup order in the Bios having the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wjason777, Jan 27, 2018.

1. wjason777 Win User

Windows Doesn't boot without boot disk. Changes the boot order no luck

Did a re install with boot disk, not when the computers boots, its asking for the boot disk. I tried changing the startup order in the Bios having the HDD with windows installed on it as the First, but it still will not load without the boot disk.

:)

wjason777, Jan 27, 2018
  2. kjl1956 Win User

Boot issue

Was a factory restore image left from win8 ?

Is the bios uefi or legacy ?

If uefi change the boot order to windows boot loader as the first in the list, next the physical drive windows is installed on, dvd cd roms, external storage etc can be after.

If the boot order is changed to boot anything but the windows boot loader or drive windows 10 is installed on, it needs to be set back ( if you set the dvd drive to boot to recover windows or a jump drive, etc.

Sometimes windows or the bios can change the boot order automaticly without the user changing anything.

Did you receive a recovery disk set or burn one when you first got the pc ? using that

to fix the boot order would be closer to win10 than a win7 disk.

kjl1956, Jan 27, 2018
  3. Windows Phone 8.1 update on Nokia Lumia 925 error 80188309

Same problem.

With Lumia 1520 (Dutch phone with os v. 8.0.10532.166).

First downloading, than preparation (where 96% takes a bit looonger)

Than it starts installing, at 2% is suddenly gives the famous error..

Marco Boot, Jan 27, 2018
  4. Windows Doesn't boot without boot disk. Changes the boot order no luck

Hi wjason777. Welcome to the TenForums @wjason777

Normally I don't comment in BSOD section of forum.

When you installed windows did you have other drives attached? I would re-do the clean installation with only your primary boot disk attached.

I would also get a fresh copy of windows using the media creation tool and just leave it on USB Key.

Here is the clean install tutorial.

Clean Install Windows 10

If you only have your windows and programs on boot disk I might be inclined to delete all partitions and let windows rebuild, think it is step 13 in tutorial. Ensure your data is backed up.

Have one of the mods move thread to Installation section.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 27, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Can you post a screenshot from disk management

Samuria, Jan 28, 2018
  6. wjason777 Win User
    sorry for the long delay, but im still having problems with this. i can post screen shots of my disk management, is it anyway i can fix this without having to reinstall?

wjason777, Mar 16, 2018
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    We can't say until we see your drive layouts in disk management.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2018
  8. wjason777 Win User

I’m running into another problem now. Im getting a message once windows boot up.

“It looks like you started a upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to Contiune with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click Yes. It you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No”

wjason777, Mar 16, 2018
  9. wjason777 Win User
    Also take note this
    In order for me to get bios to recognize the boot disk I have to hit ESc on startup and select cdrom.
    If I just leave the disc in the cdrom and try to do a regular startup it says boot disk failure

wjason777, Mar 16, 2018
  10. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Mar 16, 2018
  11. wjason777 Win User
    Ok but this time should I unplug the other HHD?

wjason777, Mar 16, 2018
  12. AddRAM Win User
    OH ya, always unplug any and all other drives, just the power plug. But 1st unplug the PC or flip the switch on the power supply, then push the power button on the PC to drain all the power out of it before you disconnect the power cables.

And you said you have the hard drive listed as 1st in the Bios, make the dvd drive 1st and the hard drive 2nd.

If you don't see the words "Press any key to boot from dvd" on the screen then something`s wrong.

You can set the hard drive back to 1st after you have windows installed, if you want to. But there's no real need to.

You can always use the boot menu (not the Bios) to choose the dvd drive, or a usb stick etc. in the future.

Once you have windows installed and fully updated and all your programs, make disk images with Macrium Reflect, and store them on another drive so you never have to reinstall windows again *Smile

Any more questions just ask.

AddRAM, Mar 16, 2018
  13. wjason777 Win User

Can you explain this part.
    I’m not fully understanding

wjason777, Mar 16, 2018
  14. AddRAM Win User
    You use a program like Macrium Reflect to create an image of your current operating system drive and any other necessary partitions, and store that image on one of your data drives.
    That way, if you have a major problem with windows that you just can't fix, you boot from the Macrium Reflect Rescue Media (either a cd or usb stick) (which you create with the Macrium software) and reimage your operating system partition/drive etc. from the image you have on your data drive.

Here is a shot showing how Disk 2 is dedicated to Games & Images on my Z170

AddRAM, Mar 16, 2018
  15. AddRAM Win User
    Think of a Disk Image as a picture of your operating system drive.

There are 2 ways to create disk images. You can use Windows built in imaging software or you can use a program like Macrium Reflect.

Myself and 99% of the people here will tell you to use Macrium over Windows software.

There are plenty of youtube videos you can watch to learn how to do it.

I will post both Tutorials.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Tutorials

Create System Image in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

The problem I came across using windows imaging software was that it would only reimage to the original drive the image was made from, that`s great, but what if you wanted to install a larger drive or the original drive died.

Macrium Reflect does not care what drive you restore the image on *Smile

AddRAM, Mar 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Doesn't boot without boot disk. Changes the boot order no luck - Similar Threads - Doesn't boot without

2. how to change boot order

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change boot order: Hi, I currently have 2 bootable windows 10 hdds, 1 on C drive, 1 on E drive, currently when i restart the comp it boots into E: with C: as a secondary, however i want it to be the other way around boot to C: with E: as secondary. I tried swicthing the sata cables but it still...
  3. MSCONFIG Boot Tab..change order

in Windows 10 Support
    MSCONFIG Boot Tab..change order: In MSCONFIG Boot Tab is possible, change the order of the boot selection that appear when the system turns on ? Thank Hispa 168983
  4. Boot order

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot order: Hello, BIOS (legacy type) is supposedly is able to edit the [I]boot order[I] but mine refused to do it, nothing happens. I'd like to put the CD drive in the first place, so my machine would be able to boot from it. I need it because the created rescue discs configured so....
  5. Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Windows 10 boot order without UEFI/BIOS: I am running a Macbook pro with dual boot. I never use my OS X side, and so I set my computer to boot into Windows at startup and all is well. Or was well, until today, I got a new SSD for Christmas and migrated the data from my old drive to the new one. I then extended the...
  6. UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI boot order of disks is not correct: I am confused. My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. The boot order does not look right. The first disk that appears...
  7. Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk boot order not correct in UEFI: My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. It does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the...
  8. Changing Boot Order

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Order: Having found my way into the BIOS to change the boot order I am faced with 4 options. Which one do I select? I want the PC to call first on a USB Recovery Drive, created with Macrium Reflect. Should I go back to BIOS to make a note of the options and list them here, as I...
  9. How to Change Boot order without knowing the password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Change Boot order without knowing the password: My friend had her grandchildren mess up her computer She lost her administrator password. How can I find the administrator password to be able to reset the computer. Or, is there a way to bypass the required password. The Computer is running Windows 10....
  10. Boot Order?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Order?: Hello If the pc BIOS is set such that the very first device to boot from is a usb stick, what happens if there is no usb stick ? Will it “automatically” go to the second device (presumably a normal boot) ? Thanks, Bob 99882