Windows 10: Windows Doesn't Recognize Ethernet

Discus and support Windows Doesn't Recognize Ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I ran Windows 8.1 on my desktop machine a few months ago, and later upgraded to Windows 10. Everything worked great at that time, but since have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by YourPalMark, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Windows Doesn't Recognize Ethernet

I ran Windows 8.1 on my desktop machine a few months ago, and later upgraded to Windows 10. Everything worked great at that time, but since have replaced Windows with Linux. Now I'm trying to install Windows again, with the same 8.1 disk that I used for my earlier installation, and my ethernet connection isn't found. (this is a direct wired ethernet, not wireless) I've installed with a local user account, dug into every networking utility in Windows, but whatever I do the internet goes undetected. I've run the ethernet thru different routers, and even circumvented the router all-together, but no luck. Has my 8.1 disk "expired"? Any thoughts on what's happening here?

:)

YourPalMark, Nov 27, 2015
  2. BenCaron Win User

Problem with Ethernet cable.

Yeah I did. I even deleted it (the Ethernet cable) from the device manager and make the pc recognize it again. It did recognize it but I still have the yellow triangle saying "the ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

BenCaron, Nov 27, 2015
  3. computer doesn't recognize devices until reboot windows 10

Hi I have switch on the PC (some time) doesn't recognize the devices( ethernet, printer, and scanner etc) then reboot the computer it will normal starting all devices?. I have upgraded windows 8.1 to windows 10

markandeyaaithal, Nov 27, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Windows Doesn't Recognize Ethernet

Hi YourPalMark, welcome to Ten Forums. Your 8.1 disk has not expired. If you were activated before, you still are. Try either updating the drivers for the network adapter or resetting your network adapter first. Troubleshoot network adapter problems

Edit. The other thing to try is unplug the ethernet cable, reboot the router/modem, plug it back in and try to set up a new connection.

JohnC, Nov 27, 2015
  5. I've tried all that without success. The only thing that I didn't try was to enter the IP info manually. (wasn't sure how to do it, particularly on a system with no internet)
    I just saw your edit with the added remark about rebooting the router and modem, something I didn't do. Should I install Windows with a local account, and then try the router/modem reboot?

YourPalMark, Nov 27, 2015
  6. Got it going John, and I really appreciate your getting me thinking. (no small feat!) It turns out it was the driver for the network adapter after all, and a visit to the Realtek website fixed me up. Thanks!

YourPalMark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Doesn't Recognize Ethernet

1. Windows Doesn't Recognize Ethernet - Similar Threads - Doesn't Recognize Ethernet

2. Ethernet not Recognized on Startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet not Recognized on Startup?: Recently I have encountered an issue where every time I start my PC, it does not connect to the internet via ethernet. I have checked the network settings troubleshooter and it tells me there is no cable connected. I have tried multiple cables, in different ports on my...
  3. Ethernet not Recognized on Startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet not Recognized on Startup?: Recently I have encountered an issue where every time I start my PC, it does not connect to the internet via ethernet. I have checked the network settings troubleshooter and it tells me there is no cable connected. I have tried multiple cables, in different ports on my...
  4. ethernet doesn't recognize that I have a connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ethernet doesn't recognize that I have a connection: I have found no rhyme or reason to why this doesn't work aside from windows not playing nicely with the adapter ethernet to usb-c. My adapter works on other laptops and even works on my laptop sometimes, but eventually it always breaks and stops recognizing the network. once...
  5. ethernet doesn't recognize that I have a connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ethernet doesn't recognize that I have a connection: I have found no rhyme or reason to why this doesn't work aside from windows not playing nicely with the adapter ethernet to usb-c. My adapter works on other laptops and even works on my laptop sometimes, but eventually it always breaks and stops recognizing the network. once...
  6. Ethernet adapter is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ethernet adapter is not recognized: Hi, I have a ky-688 lan-usb adapter with usb hub, the hub is working with no problems, but since yesterday the adapter is not recognized or sounds constantly plug in and plug out notification.I tried with other lan cable and a pc with lan port, but the problem is only with...
  7. Ethernet not recognized by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet not recognized by Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Ver2004. I can not connect to the internet when I have my Ethernet in use. It says I am connected but I cannot get on to the internet. How can I fix this?? Thanks...
  8. Ethernet not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet not recognized: I have had this happen twice now first time I dont know how i fixed it. I'm running: Windows 10 Pro x64 Intel i5-7600k Asus 1060 3gb My computer is not recognizing that my ethernet cable is plugged in. It's a brand new cable, I've done all the troubleshooting that I...
  9. Windows 10 doesn't recognize Realtek ethernet controller

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 doesn't recognize Realtek ethernet controller: Just built a new PC. After freshly installing Windows 10, my PC doesn't recognize the ethernet controller at all. The ethernet port doesn't light up in bios nor in windows. Ethernet controller doesn't show up in device manager, also not under hidden devices or other devices....
  10. ethernet cable not recognized?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ethernet cable not recognized?: i just got back from a trip and when i turned my pc on (i didn’t take it with me on the trip) it won’t connect to the internet. i’ve been wired for well over a year and never really had an issue and nobody had powered on my pc or touched it while i was gone so i’m confused as...