Windows 10: Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings

Discus and support Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; By default there is no "date" option available when right-clicking in a folder and selecting "sort by". When I select "More", then check the date... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Sep 5, 2017.

1. rivre Win User

Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings

By default there is no "date" option available when right-clicking in a folder and selecting "sort by". When I select "More", then check the date option, and then right-click and select sort by sate (ascending), Windows forgets it as soon as I back out of the window. Next time I open the window, the date option is gone and I have to do it all over again.

I can't believe there isn't a way for Windows to remember this setting, but I can't find a way. Is there a way for it to remember your settings, or for "date" to always be an option in the "sort by" menu?

:)

rivre, Sep 5, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Sep 5, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings :)

musum, Sep 5, 2017
  4. Gordon7 Win User

Hi, if you do select these settings, it will work:

Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings [​IMG]

Gordon7, Sep 5, 2017
  5. rivre Win User
    Thanks, but "add columns" is greyed out for me. But I don't think that matters.

If I click "view" at the top, then "sort by", date is already checked off because I already did that as described in my first post. What your first image shows is just another way to do the same thing I've already done.

But it doesn't remember it. If I so much as go back 1 folder and then back in again, it defaults right back to name sorting. That's the problem - it doesn't remember.

rivre, Sep 5, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    The registry setting that saves all your folders' view settings got corrupt somehow.

You can reset this setting, yet this will reset all your folder view settings. You can then re-adjust your folders and they will save their setting. I recommend after adjusting all your folders view settings, that you make a backup of that part of your registry, so when this ever happens again, you can restore those settings.

Reset folder view settings:
    Reset Folder View Settings to Default in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

As time passes, and you are adjusting folder view settings, make backups of the Registry that saves this information (to where in the future if this happens again, and don't get me wrong, this registry corruption has a possibility to happen over time, then you can restore using this tool of your saved registry settings):
    Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

pepanee, Sep 5, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Also yes, there is a way for Windows to remember to put Date in the column and you can apply it to all folders of that type.

After resetting and fixing your registry that saves this information, and after you manually customize how you want folders (of that type) to look the way you want it to, press the Apply to Folders button:

pepanee, Sep 5, 2017
  8. rivre Win User

Running the .bat file and rebooting my PC fixed the issue. Now it remembers my settings per folder. Big thanks.

Is there any way the "date" option could be listed by default when selecting "sort by"? I don't want the date to be the default view it always defaults to, but I would like for the date option to always be there as an option instead of having to right-click and select "more" first to check the date option. Right now the default choices are always:

- Name
    - Date Modified
    - Type
    - Size

How can I get "date" to be always be listed there as well? Is there a small registry change I can make to add that as an option?

rivre, Sep 5, 2017
  9. pepanee Win User
    Yes you're welcome.

I accidentally didn't tell you how to do that. Let me go ahead and help you out with having the "Date" detail always show up on all folders.

So first, open a folder. Add the Date column to the location you want it to be at. Readjust/resize all the columns (Name, Date, Type, Size) the way you want it to look for all folders.

After that, at the top of the folder, press View > Options. This will open the Folder Options window. At the top of this window, press the View tab. Then press Apply to Folders. (Refer to picture)

[I want you to keep note though! This setting will only be applied to all folders that have all types of random files. You would have to do these steps again for a folder that has all Music files in it
    or
    All Video files in it
    or
    All Readable document files in it.]

If you want EVERY SINGLE folder to look the way like you customized that folder from above, then use option 3 at:
    Change Folder Template in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

EXTRA NOTE: After you're done with all that, you can manually customize any folder that you want to look 'different' than the default layout you just set up, without harming other folder's view settings. Just change the way you want it to look, close the folder, and that's it! It's saved!

pepanee, Sep 5, 2017
  10. rivre Win User
    Thanks again - I've got everything sorted out now.

rivre, Sep 6, 2017
  11. pepanee Win User
    Oh I think I see what you mean now. I've never set the default for the "Sort By" menu to be anything other than "Name". I have a few other folders that I have sorted by "Date Modified", yet it's only a select few folders only.

I've never come across setting the "Sort By" anything other than "Name" as a default for every single folder.

I apologize, I don't know how to do that. Maybe someone else knows how to do that.

pepanee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings - Similar Threads - doesn't remember sort

2. Windows 11 doesn't remember taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 doesn't remember taskbar settings: I just upgraded from W10 pro to W11 pro yesterday and am having some trouble with the taskbar not remembering my settings. I have "combine taskbar buttons" set to never. When I launch a program or open a folder or open firefox the taskbar buttons are varying different widths....
  3. Windows 11 doesn't remember taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 doesn't remember taskbar settings: I just upgraded from W10 pro to W11 pro yesterday and am having some trouble with the taskbar not remembering my settings. I have "combine taskbar buttons" set to never. When I launch a program or open a folder or open firefox the taskbar buttons are varying different widths....
  4. Windows 11 doesn't remember Sort By anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 doesn't remember Sort By anymore: My Windows 11 used to remember Sort By option on a per folder basis. But recently, it stopped working, whenever I quit a folder, and open it again, sorting order goes back to default, that is, by name for most folder, by modified date for Download folder.This is the Bag...
  5. Windows 11 doesn't remember Sort By anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 doesn't remember Sort By anymore: My Windows 11 used to remember Sort By option on a per folder basis. But recently, it stopped working, whenever I quit a folder, and open it again, sorting order goes back to default, that is, by name for most folder, by modified date for Download folder.This is the Bag...
  6. Windows Won't Remember Folder Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Won't Remember Folder Settings: I'm running 1909 No matter what I do, it just won't work! I tried: View: List Sort By: Date Modified Properties -> Customize -> Optimize Folder for General, including subfolders. I also tried: View -> Options -> Change folder and search options -> View -> Reset...
  7. Explorer will not remember sorting for specific fields

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer will not remember sorting for specific fields: I have a folder that contains all music, when I sort by either Genre or Artist, it will immediately forget the sorting once I click out of the folder. Other fields it will remember, such as length, size and date modified. It's incredibly frustrating. Any ideas? submitted by...
  8. windows doesn't remember appearance setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows doesn't remember appearance setting: Hello, i am running on Windows 10 PRO 64 bit, on user without admin privilegies. If i change appearance setting to custom, after next restart, it changes to default. I don't have nosave dword in registry to delete. Google found this as only solution. No idea what to do...
  9. Setting default sorting options for folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default sorting options for folders?: Is there a way to set a default sorting method for files in folders (by sorting I mean whether files in folders are sorted by date, name or whatever)? When I change the settings through the right click menu it only applies to the folder I'm in at the moment. 77345
  10. Windows explorer won't remember folder and icon settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer won't remember folder and icon settings?: Here is my problem: I keep my folders in different settings, some with large icons, some with details view. Today they are all reset to details view, and items are listed by name. Every folder is reset to the same settings. when I try to change they always defaults to...