Windows 10: Windows doesn't shut down

Discus and support Windows doesn't shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! After last big Windows 10 update (probably KB4048955), my computer doesn't shut down. I choose "shut down", but when I try to turn computer on,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fruity, Nov 20, 2017.

1. fruity Win User

Windows doesn't shut down

Hi!
    After last big Windows 10 update (probably KB4048955), my computer doesn't shut down.
    I choose "shut down", but when I try to turn computer on, I'm still logged in.
    Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Fast startup is off.

Thank you for reply! *Smile

:)

fruity, Nov 20, 2017

2. windows will not shut down

went to shut down windows, it says waiting on 1 app it still doesn't shut down. gives me an option to shut-down anyway or hit cancel and go back and shut-down. it doesn't show what app or program it is. got the problem after I updated windows 10.

AnyPear24613600, Nov 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Creative Uodate won't restart or shut down.

There's no message. It simply appear the normal shutting down windows but it remain on and it doesn't shut down. Hard disk led ecc doesn't blink anymore. Seems that windows has done great all the step to shutting down, but it can't for some reason.

NicolaCaldognetto, Nov 20, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

If this is a laptop as listed in your computer specs....You can pull the battery for a few minutes and then reinsert and recheck.

Plankton, Nov 20, 2017
  5. fruity Win User
    Your tip doesn't help me.
    I have to log out manually, then shut down the computer.

fruity, Nov 20, 2017
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    Nor is there any need to remove the battery... which may require disassembling the unit just to get to it.

Anyway try holding the power button down to see it shuts off. And see what happens from there. You may have some corrupted files that's preventing s shut down. Something forcing a shut down (holding the power button down) may clear things up.

Wait, are you saying this happens each and every shutdown?

sygnus21, Nov 21, 2017
  7. If it was a update i would look into going back to before it was installed

Also look up what the update is for if it isn't something you need block it from updating again

solarstarshines, Nov 21, 2017
  8. fruity Win User

Yes, it's true.
    Recently, I have used Wise Registry Cleaner ( WiseCleaner Software - Optimize, Clean and Speed Up Your Windows PC ) and bleachbit ( Clean Your System and Free Disk Space | BleachBit ).
    I have registry backup from 25.09.17, but probably it's too old.
    In Wise Registry Cleaner folder, I have found some small backups from cleaning, but I'm not sure, if it contains all the registry key. Tomorrow, I'll try to restore all backups.

KB4048955 is improvements and security update, so it's important

fruity, Nov 21, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    That part caught my eye. Please think twice and get more advice before you start restoring registry backup files you don't what they are and a registry backup from 2 months ago. A repair install may be in order.

*Arrow Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

f14tomcat, Nov 21, 2017
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    Hopefully this will help. As a rule you should avoid using registry cleaners unless you are knowledgeable and you first create a backup. Most folks here would agree that registry cleaners are really not necessary and can do more harm than good.

SoFine409, Nov 21, 2017
  11. fruity Win User
    @f14tomcat
    I mean, I'll restore backups from cleaning, not all registry backup - I know, it isn't wise. Thanks for your link

@SoFine409
    Thanks. I'll never use registry cleaner again

fruity, Nov 21, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    I have to completely agree with f14tomcat all the way here. The way you've been messing with the registry, a restored backup could really mess things up. I'll also add I'm not personally fond of registry cleaners and really see no need for them. But.... that's me.

Anyway agree with f14, do the repair install. Simpler, quicker, easier.

sygnus21, Nov 21, 2017
  13. fruity Win User

Unfortunately, refreshing PC doesn't help me.
    I'll try to reinstall OS one more time, soon - maybe it'll help.
    Thank you for replies.

fruity, Nov 22, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    One off the first things I do after a clean install is run:

powercfg -h off

This turns off hibernation, deletes the associated multi-GB file for hibernation, and disables fast startup. You can always re-enable it later if you want.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  15. zinou Win User
    We need to know what the OS is doing when you try to shut it down;

- Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit Windows ADK downloads - Windows Hardware Dev Center . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.
    - Start recording a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: JustPaste.it - Share Text & Images the Easy Way
    - While recording the trace, Press shutdown and let record for 1 minutes. Then click the save button and give your file a name.

- Compress the resulting file

- Share it through Free file transfer, send large files - TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you

zinou, Nov 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows doesn't shut down - Similar Threads - doesn't shut down

2. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: Hi,I wonder if someone can help.Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly. I go thru the normal procedure of clicking 'shut down', blue screen, whirling time icon etc. Screen goes dark but power light and internet light stay on and the machine stays warm until I press power...
  3. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: Hi,I wonder if someone can help.Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly. I go thru the normal procedure of clicking 'shut down', blue screen, whirling time icon etc. Screen goes dark but power light and internet light stay on and the machine stays warm until I press power...
  4. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

6. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. laptop doesn't shut down

laptop doesn't shut down: Hello guys, after the recent update i'm not able to shut down my laptop. When i click on shutdown it goes to lock screen and when i try to shut down from lock screen it again gets stuck on lock screen. kindly help...
  8. Windows 10 doesn't shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down: After pressing the "shut down" button (I've tried both physical and the virtual) the system continues running like nothing ever happened. I've tried manually killing all processes, the problem persists. Only cutting the power from the PC shuts it down. Shutting down on a...
  9. Windows doesn't shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows doesn't shut down: Hey there, since I resolved my bluescreen error (Continues BSOD - Different Errorcodes), I have the problem, that I can only shutdown my pc using cmd (shutdown /s) or using the power button? Do you have any idea, what could be the problem? Thanks for all, Lars Build: 1909...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: I have a laptop ASUS Zenbook UX303LN. I made a clean install to Windows 10 and now it doesn't shut down properly. When I shut it down, the screen goes black, but the power light remains on and I have to shut it down manually. Also, I sometimes cannot restart it when it...