Windows 10: windows downloading updates while gaming/streaming?

Discus and support windows downloading updates while gaming/streaming? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; does windows 10 download updates while gaming online ? i searched but could not find an answer. I already switched off the peer to peer updates and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tepescovir, Sep 5, 2015.

1. windows downloading updates while gaming/streaming?

does windows 10 download updates while gaming online ? i searched but could not find an answer. I already switched off the peer to peer updates and changed updates to notify. but it sometime feels like i'm getting more lag at times compared to win 8 on the same game servers?
    Does anyone know for sure that win 10 pauses downloading updates when a game is running?
    I've asked support but support seems to be avoiding the question.

I know the scheduled update time is 2:30 am from a helpful insider, But most people dont leave their pc on all night. If i turn on my pc and start netfix or online gaming and there is an update due, will it start downloading while i'm trying to play or stream so i know win 10 isnt suitable for all gamers and i can go back to win 7 or 8 until they fix it?

:)

Tepescovir, Sep 5, 2015
  2. noctu(2) Win User

windows 10 updates while gaming and the coming game mode

please put in some common sense features like update pause while gaming or else you may get a rant complaint like shown below in the immediate future thx.

I really hope gaming mode pauses all updates while gaming, microsoft you owe gamer's that consideration in the least because it was gamer's who fueled the progress of PC's especially on the graphics and hardware side and are a big reason other OS's are not
    spanking you good right now so get your **** together mmmkay put in some commonsense stuff and quit acting like aspies.

TYVM a sick of BS gamer either you are for us or against us pick and do it quick.

noctu(2), Sep 5, 2015
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    windows 10 updates while gaming and the coming game mode

Surely you must know that these are only community forums with no line to the MS Ivory Tower, and as an insider

I would expect that you are well aware that complaints to Monopoly$oft need to be made via the Feedback app,

or whatever other tool they provide insiders.

MS is not interested in 'common sense' . They are focused on consumer base dumbing Windows down,

and marketing.

I believe 'gaming mode' will have absolutely no connection with the reviled mandatory automatic update system.

Aside from some tweaking to better optimise cpu use Gaming Mode looks to be mostly another gimmick and marketing tool, and possibly something to further reduce PC gaming to a common denominator ( make PC more like consoles ),

but as an insider I expect you would already have the Creators update and would better know if there

are any real benefits from Gaming Mode, than my speculation.

- While I am a gaming enthusiast, I don't have any illusion that gamers have had much impact on general computing. In fact PC gamers are only a small minority of gamers overall. Particularly those with high end gaming machines

(the majority of PC gamers are women who play basic point and click games), which is one reason for so many console to PC ports.

Personally. I just wish MS, Steam, and the rest would stop fiddling around with stuff so much and let us get

on with our games. All I want it a stable OS and would prefer MS stop with the twice annually 'anniversary' BS.

This will never happen of course, as this is part of their new marketing strategy.

Back to the updates...

I have set Window updates Active Hours to correctly reflect the times I am using my machine, and have never

experienced a 'random' reboot.

You can also change the active time whenever you wish should your gaming routine change.

- The best protection against being interrupted while playing on line is to run Windows updates manually

(Single player - just disable internet).

Manual updating is also helpful for not having to wait for an update to finish installing when I want to shut my

machine down, as I don't like to leave the machine until I know an update has not broken anything

(which they have not done... so far *knocks on wood*).

- I sometimes create a new System Restore point before running Windows Updates (especially when Win10

has done one of it's mysterious 'Think I'll delete all restore points for my Human' routine) .

When the anniversary update times roll around I go full Murphy's Law and clone my Windows to another HDD before doing the update as these can be particularly risky because they overwrite so much of Windows.

I like having a reliable easy fix in the event of these updates totally borking my Windows install.

Even though I've had no issues with the two previous anniversary updates, it will be a very long time before I

trust them.

BossDweeb, Sep 5, 2015
  4. windows downloading updates while gaming/streaming?

I find this frustrating too , loosing control of my PC and making gaming a problem at times ! well , I suspect it ...

Please make it possible to disable updates when I am gaming , why can't I manually check every day like I would with W7 and W8.1 . It should just check for updates when the PC is started or at a time we set and if that time is missed it could be forced to check the next day . I could live with that but not while I am gaming , why can't Quiet Hours also turn off any updating so my system can run optimally when in heavy use ?

Please *Nerd

MistaTorture, Jun 2, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    If using wifi, set connection to metered connection.

If ethernet (or wif), you can turn off windows update service by running services.msc but REMEMBER to turn back on when finished with games.

cereberus, Jun 2, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    I don't know if it exists in standard W10 version yet but on insider version you can also set "Quiet hours" only during which time windows would download and install updates. I suppose it will be available at end of July when Rs1 comes to everybody's desktops.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows downloading updates while gaming/streaming?

1. windows downloading updates while gaming/streaming? - Similar Threads - downloading updates while

2. BSOD while using windows but not during gaming / stream

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while using windows but not during gaming / stream: Hello everyone!I have upgraded my PC Motherboard and now I am getting blue screen most of the times. I have reinstalled OS and all of the drivers are up to date.The only thing that is really making me wonder, is how does my blue screen appear while using browser, after...
  3. BSOD while using windows but not during gaming / stream

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD while using windows but not during gaming / stream: Hello everyone!I have upgraded my PC Motherboard and now I am getting blue screen most of the times. I have reinstalled OS and all of the drivers are up to date.The only thing that is really making me wonder, is how does my blue screen appear while using browser, after...
  4. BSOD while using windows but not during gaming / stream

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD While Streaming

BSOD While Streaming: Recently I began running in to the BSOD while using streamlabs. Ive downloaded blue screen view to try to solve in my limited capabilities. Of course I reached a dead end and I am now seeking knowledgeable assistance. Im not sure how to attach the dmp file*. Cheers!...
  6. 0x80073CF3 Error while downloading a game

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    0x80073CF3 Error while downloading a game: Hello, I've started a download and then I shutted down my PC, and when I want to download this game again, it crashes and say that error code. This only happen with this application. Dont know why, if I try to donwload another game, it works nice. Some help? Ive tried most of...
  7. Update While Downloading an Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update While Downloading an Update: Heads Up Just to be clear, I'm not a 100% familiar with computers nor smartphones. I know myself for being a clumsy guy when it comes to handling devices. I have possibly bricked about 3 PC's. In short words, I'm a rookie in terms of handling computers.... despite my...
  8. BSOD while Streaming

BSOD while Streaming: Hi! I'm having BSOD while streaming and it's a pain in the *** because I've to restart and start streaming again it's hell in earth. Could anyone help me figure out what is the problem? I've uninstalled my previous graphics drivers and reinstall them again, the OS is new,...
  9. Randomly BSOD Playing Game While Streaming

Randomly BSOD Playing Game While Streaming: i built my computer two years ago. i havent got any problem. But yesterday i update my graphic card driver. Today when i play game on stream my computer freeze than reset. i wanna sure problem is graphic card driver. there is dxdiag here there are 3 dump files. 1 2 3 there...
  10. Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming: Hi guys! I really need your help on this one. Usually I’m good at troubleshooting and finding solutions without having to start my own threads. This time however, it seems impossible to find a solution. Anyway, here’s the thing: When downloading through utorrent, steam...