Windows 10: Windows DVD Player associated with .IFO files but can't open them

Discus and support Windows DVD Player associated with .IFO files but can't open them in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Here is the issue: Go to an IFO file on the HDD and try to open it - catastrophic error Insert a DVD and auto run with no action. Try to run the IFO... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Graham1, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Graham1 Win User

Windows DVD Player associated with .IFO files but can't open them

Here is the issue:
    • Go to an IFO file on the HDD and try to open it - catastrophic error
    • Insert a DVD and auto run with no action. Try to run the IFO file - catastrophic error. Cancel error and can run DVD from the control bar.
    • Have not been able to remove option to "open with" windows DVD player for an IFO file.
    • No problems with VLC player and Nero Showtime

:)

Graham1, Mar 14, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

installation location Windows DVD Player

Windows DVD Player is a Windows App, and as such it is not an executable (.exe) like older Applications, and is stored in a location you should not mess with.

To set it as the default app go to Settings - System - Default Apps - Set defaults by Apps

Then Select Windows DVD Player in the list on the left, then select Set Defaults for this app, then you can set file associations for .vob, .ts, .ifo . . . the main file on a DVD to get it to play, menu and all is Video_Ts,ifo

Also to get Windows to use this app when a DVD is inserted got to Control Panel - AutoPlay and you can set that there

Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Mar 14, 2018
  3. Windows DVD Player File Location

Windows DVD Player is a Windows App, and as such it is not an executable (.exe) like older Applications, and is stored in a location you should not mess with.

To set it as the default app go to Settings - System - Default Apps - Set defaults by Apps

Then Select Windows DVD Player in the list on the left, then select Set Defaults for this app, then you can set file associations for .vob, .ts, .ifo . . . the main file on a DVD to get it to play, menu and all is Video_Ts,ifo

Also to get Windows to use this app when a DVD is inserted got to Control Panel - AutoPlay and you can set that there

Hope this Helps!

(C)DaveM121

Gina_on_the_thread, Mar 14, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, how did you get the Windows DVD player?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...igible-windows

If you wish to disable an entry in the Open With dialogue, you could use
    Openwithview (free) by Nirsoft (easy to find).

I found only a couple of ifo files on my PC - they were associated with VLC player.

How do you try to open it? Double left click?

Please post a screenshot showing the icon of an ifo file.

IFO File Extension - What is an .ifo file and how do I open it?

Noted this ref. Windows DVD player in passing:
    Windows DVD Player can't open Solved - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Mar 14, 2018
  5. Graham1 Win User
    dalchina,

• The DVD player was included in the upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10. I don't want to uninstall it as there is only a paid version for reinstall and an upgrade may improve it. My main aim was to remove it from the .ifo open with list.
    • I play music DVD's and the player is very limited as it does not show titles and chapters. Some of the DVD's have over 30 chapters
    • Openwith and other similar programs do not show an entry for windows DVD player if it is not the default for that extension
    • right click, select open with, select windows DVD player
    • The files are on a normal DVD and include BUP, IFO and VOB in that order, an image of an IFO file will show very little.
    • The reference you refer to was almost 2 years ago. Windows 10 has moved on with many changes.
    • I have not used widows DVD player until this year so I do not know how it performed in the last 2 years.

Graham1, Mar 15, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Graham1.
    I have the free Microsoft Windows DVD player too (I upgraded from Win7 Home Premium - a Media Centre edition).

Would I be correct in assuming that your underlying problem is 'how do I play a DVD with the Windows DVD Player when it doesn't even appear in 'Open with'?'. Well, it certain can't be done by trying to open any of the file types found on the DVD, even if they are associated with the Windows DVD Player.

The simplest way I've found is just to open Windows DVD Player from the Start menu, either before or after putting the DVD in the drive. It scans for available DVDs and then plays them.

It should also be possible to play with Windows DVD Player from File Explorer's 'This PC'. Right-click on the DVD Drive letter, select 'Open Autoplay...' and the Windows DVD Player should be one of the options. If you select it this way, from now on inserting a Video DVD will automatically launch the Windows DVD Player.

There has only ever been one update for the Windows DVD Player, issued in November 2015 to deal with incompatibilities in Windows 10 version 1511. In fact, if you buy the player from the Store you'll get the initial version, shortly followed by this update.
    https://support.microsoft.com/help/3106246

BTW, the FAQ isn't entirely correct in saying...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1438117403084

It is true that it cannot play any other type of video format from a file, but it is perfectly happy to play an ISO of a video DVD if you mount it first then open Windows DVD Player - a virtual optical disc can be played as easily as a real one.

7. Graham1 Win User
    Bree,

No problem with playing a DVD using an iso file or from the DVD drive using windows DVD player. The problem is its registered file type is .IFO. It can't open .IFO files without a catastrophic error. An option was to remove the link in the open with list for that file type but I have no method of doing this for a Microsoft app. I note your link to an update but there is no version mentioned. I assume it has been applied automatically. The version I have is 3.6.13291.0

Graham1, Mar 15, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Well, it would be catastrophic, wouldn't it - it isn't a video file. I have no idea why it's registered for .ifo. Perhaps there's a rule that says an app has to register for something, and that was the one they picked? Personally I just ignore it and never try to open a .ifo (why would I want to?). But, if you really must remove the association....

There has been some loss of functionality in migrating settings from Control Panel to the Settings app. One of the glaring omissions is the ability to pick and chose the file associations by app. Fortunately the old Control Panel function is still there in 1709 (for now) but it's hidden, with no link to open it. Try opening the 'Run box' with WinKey+R and run: Code: C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram[/quote] Scroll down and select Windows DVD Player then click 'Choose defaults for this program'. You can remove the association there.

Windows DVD Player associated with .IFO files but can't open them [​IMG]

(You'd better be quick about it, this is probably going to be removed in 1803)

Typo? Mine says 3.6.1329.0. I believe the initial version was 3.6.11761.0

Edit: I have checked, and it appears mine is in error (missing out the '1' for some reason). The correct version for the KB3106246 update is indeed 3.6.13291.0 and have confirmed that the initial version was 3.6.11761.0

9. Berton Win User
    I looked up the .ifo file extension and a Search got this, pretty much what Bree says:
    An equivalent thing with audio CDs is the files on the disc only show as .cda and are very small, are only markers to the actual music. Ripping a CD in Windows Media Player allows saving the songs as different formats as desired.

Berton, Mar 15, 2018
  10. Graham1 Win User
    Bree,

With your method you can change the default program to open .IFO files but this does not remove it from the open with list. You can also change the default program using the all settings app. The .IFO file is the controller of the DVD and it has a backup .BUP.

Graham1, Mar 15, 2018
  11. Graham1 Win User
    Bree,

Your method which is similar to Windows 7 does not retain any default app for the .IFO file (ie no tick in any application). I can only change the default app using the settings app. Any Suggestions to fix this.

Graham1, Mar 15, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    I'm still not clear why you would want to try and open a .ifo file directly. Or why it is so important to you to remove this file association.

It may be the key to controlling the DVD, and opening the .ifo with VLC player does indeed play the DVD (so it should work in Windows DVD Player too, but it's broken). But as there are more convenient ways to play DVDs (right-click on the drive letter and 'Play with VLC media player', or 'Autoplay' for Windows DVD Player) why bother finding and clicking on the .ifo?

Windows DVD Player has not been updated since 2015, It's hardly one of MS's flagship products, just a sop they felt obliged to throw to those of us who had the Media Center. Don't hold your breath for any bug fixes.

If it's just that the 'catastrophic error' bugs you, why not associate .ifo with VLC instead?

13. Bree New Member

You can change the default for (almost) any file type by right-clicking on a file, select 'Open with > choose another app' (you may need to click 'more apps' to find the one you want) and make sure you tick the 'always open with...' box before you click OK. In the case of .ifo I have set my default association to VLC Media Player in that way.

14. Graham1 Win User
    Bree,

It has been my policy for years to eliminate applications in open with that do not work. Most just do nothing when selected but windows DVD player gives a catastrophic error. A bad outcome for a Microsoft product in my opinion. Do you or others get the same result? I have associated .ifo with VLC player to overcome this problem.

Graham1, Mar 15, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    Yes. A popup window in DVD Player saying...

As an ex-programmer, that error code strikes me as the sort of 'catch-all' position you'd put in for errors you hadn't anticipated when you wrote the code. I think Microsoft rushed this out as a 'freebie' to placate the loss of media centre functions and didn't really test it properly (or care much about it any more). Bad code, no wonder it gets the lowest star rating of any DVD player app in the Store.

It's basic, it works (mostly) and it's worth every penny that I (didn't have to) pay for it *Smile

Thema:

1. Windows DVD Player associated with .IFO files but can't open them - Similar Threads - DVD Player associated

2. Windows DVD Player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows DVD Player: I bought a copy Windows DVD Player a few weeks ago. I had to reset my laptop to factory. How do I download it back on this same laptop? I shouldn't have to pay again. Thanks....
  3. Windows dvd player

Windows dvd player: A few days ago I bought Windows DVD Player. On my back statement, it shows: recurring payment? What does this mean? I paid for it, am I going to get charged again for this product that I have already paid for? If so, why?...
  4. Windows DVD Player

Windows DVD Player: I purchased Windows DVD player app for windows 10. It does not appear as a tile box and does not appear in the Start menu list does not autoplay and start when i insert a dvd...
  5. Can't play DVD's on Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't play DVD's on Windows Media Player: Why can't I play DVD's in Windows Media Player? This seems like something I should be able to do! TEll me how! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-play-dvds-on-windows-media-player/ea449b05-98a3-461e-9ae8-06d05fabfa34
  6. DVD region on media player with DVD driver and windows DVD player

DVD region on media player with DVD driver and windows DVD player: Can I change the region for DVD player in windows media player if I have DVD drive with windows dvd player installed? thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-region-on-media-player-with-dvd-driver-and/cd23d83c-3505-402a-86bb-4eaf15c8f3cd
  7. windows DVD player

windows DVD player: I have bought this app in the App Store but all that appears on my screen is an unhelpful message saying that "We're attempting" to download it but with no explanation of why it is failing to download. If it won't download, how o I get my money back?...
  8. Zoom Player File type associations

Zoom Player File type associations: Ever since I've updated to the most recent version of windows all the Video files will no longer asscociate to the various file types withing the Zoom icon library. It seems just to asscociate all to one particular Icon which is the main Zoom player Icon. I've done a...
  9. Windows DVD Player

Windows DVD Player: I was running Windows 7 and did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I know that W10 does not have Windows Media Center, which is being replaced with Windows DVD Player. Windows DVD Player is an add on App for a fee. If you upgrade, Microsoft will give you a free copy of...
  10. Windows DVD Player can't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows DVD Player can't open: The free media player has stopped working. The icon is greyed out. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the fix? It was working fine before. *Sad 50019