Windows 10: Windows Encryption/Security PROBLEM!!!

Discus and support Windows Encryption/Security PROBLEM!!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Long story short, I was trying to figure out a way to encrypt the contents of a folder with a password. Yesterday, I clicked the "Encrypt contents to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by suavebrah, Oct 16, 2016.

1. suavebrah Win User

Windows Encryption/Security PROBLEM!!!

Long story short, I was trying to figure out a way to encrypt the contents of a folder with a password. Yesterday, I clicked the "Encrypt contents to secure data" under Advanced Attributes in the files properties of my folder, and ever since it has locked me out of my own folder.

I want to remove the encryption key now because I can no longer edit anything inside the folder, which is not what I wanted in the first place.

I have the encryption key that it generated sitting on my desktop.. and every time I install it, it says it has "imported successfully". However, when I try to go and remove the encryption by unchecking the box, I get the following error:

"An error occurred applying attributes to the file... the specific file could not be decrypted"

I don't understand why this is so intricate. Could someone please detail me a step-by-step fix?! thank you ... *Mad

:)

suavebrah, Oct 16, 2016

2. E51 WLAN Setup Issues

Hi,

to remove security and encryption problems from equation, try without any security and encryption in the AP. Connect to AP with wizard. Does it work?

timou---01, Oct 16, 2016
  3. ErvSch Win User
    Cannot decrypt folder but files and sub-folders contained do decrypt

Hi Paola,

Thank you for your interest in this problem.

• Which encryption software did you use to encrypt the files?

All of the encryption done was using EFS in Windows 10 Pro.
    • How did you encrypt the files?

The files were encrypted by selecting a folder in File Explorer then right clicking to choose Properties, pressing the Advanced button to the Advanced Attributes screen then checking the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data." Then pressing “OK”
      back to Properties, “OK” again to the Confirm Attribute Changes, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files," and OK once more. The encryption then proceeds and all subfolders and files are encrypted. The files were then decrypted by much
      the same process but rather unselecting the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box. This decrypted all the contained files, but the folder and all subfolders remained encrypted. After this the contained files could not again be encrypted by encrypting the
      folder because the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box for the folder was already checked.
    • How are you able to verify that the files inside the encrypted folders were already decrypted?

By selecting a file and again choosing Properties / Advanced to observe whether the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data" was or was not checked.

ErvSch, Oct 16, 2016
  4. suavebrah Win User

Bump, this is very irritating. It seems as though I do not have access to this folder anymore (even though I have ownership of it as well as the encryption key)

suavebrah, Oct 16, 2016
  5. suavebrah Win User
    Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it

suavebrah, Oct 20, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    I would try bleepingcomputer.com -- they might have the answer. Just politely mention you're consecutively double-posting because tenforums at that time had no answer for you. And, I do not know the answer either, sorry *Sad

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Encryption/Security PROBLEM!!! - Similar Threads - Encryption Security PROBLEM

2. Encryption Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encryption Problems: Hi there! Long story short, I had both my HDD and motherboard encrypted so it required 2 psswds to boot, but now only my HDD encryption is still working and active. Any ideas as to why the motherboard decided to decrypt itself? I am using windows 10 I believe home, possibly...
  3. Encryption Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encryption Problems: Hi there! Long story short, I had both my HDD and motherboard encrypted so it required 2 psswds to boot, but now only my HDD encryption is still working and active. Any ideas as to why the motherboard decided to decrypt itself? I am using windows 10 I believe home, possibly...
  4. Encryption Problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Encryption problems

Encryption problems: Hi there! Long story short, I had both my HDD and motherboard encrypted so it required 2 psswds to boot, but now only my HDD encryption is still working and active. Any ideas as to why the motherboard decided to decrypt itself? I am using windows 10 I believe home, possibly...
  6. Encryption Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encryption Problem: Hi Sir!I hope you are well. Sir, I encrypted some important content. I installed fresh windows 11 today. Now when I try to open those encrypted files, windows gives me this error shown in the picture. Can you please tell me how to fix this? These encrypted files are very very...
  7. Encryption Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encryption Problem: Hi Sir!I hope you are well. Sir, I encrypted some important content. I installed fresh windows 11 today. Now when I try to open those encrypted files, windows gives me this error shown in the picture. Can you please tell me how to fix this? These encrypted files are very very...
  8. Windows 10 Encrypted Files - Security

Windows 10 Encrypted Files - Security: I moved an encrypted folder to a USB drive before reinstalling windows. After the installation, I am unable to open any of the files as I receive an error showing that I don't have permission. There isn't an advanced security option in the properties to grant. Any ideas on...
  9. oracle encryption security

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    oracle encryption security: Dear sir/mam, How to i disable and uninstall this oracle encryption security in windows 10 home basic. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/oracle-encryption-security/43748088-a7c0-4bba-8875-d3188d17cb8d
  10. Laptop Security Encryption

Laptop Security Encryption: Hey all. Does anyone have any suggest for keeping their laptop secure? I use antivirus protection but its free but it seems okay. I want to know, do people here all have a password when they start up their laptop? I do not have one so if someone had access to my laptop...