Windows 10: Windows Explorer 100% Disk usage, can't shutdown properly

Discus and support Windows Explorer 100% Disk usage, can't shutdown properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all. I've come to you in desperation. I have been troubleshooting these issues by myself for the last two weeks and have had no success. You all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tubesock427, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Windows Explorer 100% Disk usage, can't shutdown properly

Hello all. I've come to you in desperation. I have been troubleshooting these issues by myself for the last two weeks and have had no success. You all are my last hope.

My PC is essentially unusable atm (making this from a laptop), as every few minutes or so Windows Explorer crashes and uses 99-100% of my disk. Restarting it fixes it sometimes, only for a few minutes. I have tried everything I can find. Turned off quick access, made sure graphic drivers were up to date, Windows is up to date. I've done sfc /scannow and dism checks multiple times, no errors. I can't do a system restore due to errors. Can't reset PC due to shut down issues. Shutting down or restarting results in just a log off, unless I hard shut down. I'm sure there are other things I've tried over the past few weeks that I've forgotten.

Edit:
    Turned off Fast Start-up, forgot to mention. Still having trouble shutting down.

Please help. I am at a loss. I can't even reset the thing due to these issues, which was my last resort.

Let me know if you need more information, logs, etc.

Specs:

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 960

:)

tubesock427, Jun 26, 2016

2. 100% disk usage but no apps using it

This isn't an issue with my HDD because everything was working fine before I updated Windows 10, the issue only happened after the update.

The issue is: Task manager shows 100% disk usage, but there are no processes actually using it, computer is extremely slow and unresponsive.

I have noticed that it only happens if I let my computer idle for a couple of minutes, it doesn't go to sleep, and the screen doesn't even go dim, but the disk usage goes to 100%.

Process Explorer doesn't show 100% usage, it shows normal disk usage, which is weird. I have tried different stuff like disabling Windows Defender, superfetch, doing a chkdsk, updating drivers, but nothing works.

If I could find out what's using the disk, I could perhaps fix it, but I can't even manage to do that.

Anthony Shaffer, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Baniban Win User
    Can't repair, Can't reset, Can't update, Can't do anything Windows 10

Repair my pc, because my disk is damaged, the disk usage is always 100% and all apps not responding including windows explorer and task manager

Baniban, Jun 26, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Windows Explorer 100% Disk usage, can't shutdown properly

Hi tubesock427 and welcome to Tenforums.

I have to ask, have you run any virus scans? If so, which ones?

Here's what I would suggest:
    Make sure your BIOS and chipset are up-to-date.
    Run CHKDSK.
    ADWCleaner
    Malwarebytes Antimalware Free (custom scan all of the OS drive, with Rootkit box checked)

It would help to have more detail in your system specs.

If nothing is found, you could try one of two options:
    1. Repair install using an in-place upgrade, or
    2. Clean install (I think this is the best option)

Once I have your answer on the scans, I can give you more details on the two options I mentioned.

simrick, Jun 26, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Hi tubesock427,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

I would like to have some details on the status of your hard drive to start.
    Please follow below instructions.

Windows Explorer 100% Disk usage, can't shutdown properly [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST
    *Arrow Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer - Read in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    • the error scan,
    • the health,
    • the benchmark incl. following
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.How to fill in your system specs:

6. I apologize for the lateness. My computer is really not cooperating, so it's been difficult to get what you guys need.

Currently I can't do jack on it, and restarting Windows Explorer no longer brings disk usage down from 100%. I can't open a browser to download the necessary tests you all need sadly, and I can't transfer them to the PC in question from another computer because I can't really open Windows Explorer/File Explorer to run them. I really apologize. It's just a mess. I filled out my specs to the best of my ability based on the part list when I ordered the PC (no parts have been changed since).

I was able to run CHKDSK, took a screenshot, but forgot I couldn't really.. access it. But it ran, said everything was good, but there was 4KB in bad sections?

Before all this happened, virus scans were running clean. But I currently can't run any because.. well I can't run anything.

At this point I would just love if I could somehow fix the shut down/restart issue so I could actually boot into safe mode or something, or reinstall using recovery methods. But I realize that may be hard to do since I can't run the tests.

If there's anything I can do (or try to do) please let me know. I will do anything at this point. I really appreciate you guys trying to help.

tubesock427, Jul 1, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jul 1, 2016
  8. Windows Explorer 100% Disk usage, can't shutdown properly

I was attempting this just when you posted! Something weird is going on though. There's nothing to highlight (like the Windows Technical Preview), and none of the check boxes/dots are interactable. In fact, I can't interact with anything under the Boot tab (except OK, Cancel, Apply, Help). And it's not a hanging issue, as I can interact with the rest of the msconfig. So.. wat? What do?

tubesock427, Jul 1, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    And the other options won't work either?

simrick, Jul 1, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    If you can fake 3 failed boot attempts, the system will automatically go into Advanced Startup Options. So turn the system on using the power button and, as it starts going into Windows, turn it off using the power button. Do this 2 more times, and Windows will bring you into Advanced Startup. You can do Safe Mode from there, or even a Reset if you like.

Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Note
    When you boot to advanced startup, all user sessions are signed off. If you select a Windows RE feature from this menu, the PC restarts into Windows RE and the selected feature is launched.

In some situations, Windows RE automatically tries to repair the system. Also, these situations automatically cause a failover to Windows RE:

• Two consecutive failed attempts to start Windows.
    • Two consecutive unexpected shutdowns that occur within two minutes of boot completion.
    • A Secure Boot error (except for issues related to Bootmgr.efi).
    • A BitLocker error on touch-only devices.

If users boot to advanced startup from within Windows and select a Windows RE tool, they must provide the user name and password of an administrator account on the local PC. This doesn't apply to the Reset your PC feature.

simrick, Jul 1, 2016
  11. Attempting a reset now. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully, my next post will mean the end of this thread. Again, super appreciate the help.

tubesock427, Jul 3, 2016
  12. Unsurprisingly, none of the repair things worked, can't do a system restore, can't reset the PC (Keep files or get rid of everything). Can't do a recovery image. Can't use my recovery DVD.. And can't boot into safe mode. I go to start-up settings to enable it, and it tells me to restart to do it, and nothing changes.

Ideas? I can try reset this PC > get rid of everything > fully clean the drive? I wanted to check and see if that was a good idea before I attempted it though and make sure I could still potentially reinstall from there?

tubesock427, Jul 3, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

If all your stuff is backed up, you can do a clean install, selecting the "custom" option, deleting all partitions, so that you are installing to an "unallocated" drive. That will do it, as long as your hard drive isn't failing.

p.s. if it asks for a key, select "I don't have a key". It will activate later on.

simrick, Jul 3, 2016
  14. I actually tried the recovery CD one more time on a whim and it seems to be working, but I basically ended up doing what you said. But, with my luck so far, I'll update you once I get to the other side of this install, if I can.

Considering all the issues I had before, if this works, is there anything I should do to make sure nothing is wrong with the new install? Check my disk and such maybe? If you have any ideas let me know.

tubesock427, Jul 3, 2016
  15. eLPuSHeR Win User
    If I had read correctly, OP said chkdsk reported some BAD SECTORS. Time to backup your data ASAP and looking for a replacement HD. And now that you are at it, get an SSD. You will notice a huge improvement in speed.

eLPuSHeR, Jul 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer 100% Disk usage, can't shutdown properly - Similar Threads - Explorer 100% Disk

2. Disk Usage 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Usage 100%: My Disk usage is constantly at 100% I've dealt with this issue in the past by disabling some windows services but i don't recall all of them. Some of which I remember are windows search, windows update, SuperfetchSysMain. The fix that i had used seemed to work but was not...
  3. Disk Usage on 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Usage on 100%: Disk usage stays on 100% on my Windows 10. The computer responses very slow. Tried solutions from google, none works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-on-100/79303ad0-4995-4095-93b4-02b59b92bc6e
  4. 100% Disk Usage

100% Disk Usage: My laptop takes 100% in HDD memory when i have Windows SO, i install previous windows 8 and the problem still going on, i got this specifications: [ATTACH] And my task manager shows this: [ATTACH] thank you for your attention.....
  5. File Explorer Causes disk usage to be at 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Causes disk usage to be at 100%: Title. Everytime I open up file explorer this happens... No idea why, I've attempted many common fixes already but to no avail. This is on a HDD and I also have a SSD but is at 0% during this. Any ideas or help would be appreciated... submitted by /u/C0c0nuthard...
  6. %100 Disk usage

%100 Disk usage: I have had this issue in the past and tried many different possible solutions but the only fix was to factory reset my PC. The issue recently came back after a year and I can’t seem to fix this issue. This has caused my gaming pc to almost be unusable. Other issues I have...
  7. Windows 10 100% disk usage after forced shutdown

Windows 10 100% disk usage after forced shutdown: Hello, So I own a Lenovo Yoga 2 11 and a couple of days ago as I was preparing myself to go to bed I closed the computer’s screen. Usually the laptop just goes to sleep but next morning, to my surprise, as I opened the screen again I realized that the screen had somehow...
  8. 100% disk usage

100% disk usage: I reset my PC and disk usage its still on 100% I have tried everything that is on YouTube or other forums and nothing works. submitted by /u/Witeek13 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxbr0g/100_disk_usage/
  9. Disk usage is 100%

Disk usage is 100%: Disk usage is 100% resulting in computer being real slow. How do I fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-is-100/f94cae49-632c-4168-8aef-a0480ffe2569
  10. 100% disk usage

100% disk usage: i am using i7-7700hq processor laptop but still my laptop was loading slowly.when i checked my task manager it shows me my disk usage is 100%. so anybody help me to solve this problem...