Windows 10: Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file

Discus and support Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! I just upgraded to Windows 10 a week ago and so far I haven't had any troubles with it. However, to my surprise, I encountered a problem that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zanmato, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Zanmato Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file

Hi all! I just upgraded to Windows 10 a week ago and so far I haven't had any troubles with it. However, to my surprise, I encountered a problem that is rather annoying to deal with. Just now I was about to check the file size of a certain document, but when I right clicked it, it just loads and the cursor just keeps circling. After a few seconds, I tried to click something and suddenly everything was not responding, I tried to Ctrl+Alt+Del, but it doesn't respond either. So I just had to hard reboot my PC and hoped that it was just an error that will go away after rebooting, unfortunately, it didn't fix it. I tried to right click a different file (this time the Documents folder) and everything was not responding once again. I waited several minutes to see if it will respond and it did, but it really bugs me out. Any solution for this problem? Tried many solutions (like scanning the the files that maybe corrupt, start/stop processes) but nothing seems to solve it.

:)

Zanmato, Aug 3, 2016

2. File explorer crashes whenever i right click on any of the files.

Ive checked almost every community posting on Microsoft's website, as well as others. everyone who has this problem gets the same answer. Cleanboot, reinstall windows 10, safe mode (which has worked before but doesnt solve the overall issue.) ccleaner etc.
    Seriously guys, whats going on here. Why does file explorer keep crashing every time i right click on something ? this has been a persistent issue since i bought this laptop. If you can't come up with a fix for it, the absolute least you guys could do is tell
    us what is going on. Is that so hard ?

tmoneytylr, Aug 3, 2016
  3. menekin Win User
    File explorer crashes whenever i right click on any of the files.

New laptop with W10 and same problem out of the box. The above procedures net zero issues found, try again with posting a fix please.

menekin, Aug 3, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this is probably the common issue (not new to Win 10) of a problematic context menu entry.
    Download and install Shellexview (free). Launch it.
    Hide all MS extensions. Disable all others.
    Check if your problem is solved.
    If so, progressively enable extensions until you find the problematic one.

Otherwise please post back.

dalchina, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Zanmato Win User
    Thanks for replying! Will check once I get home.

Zanmato, Aug 4, 2016
  6. Zanmato Win User
    Okay so I disabled the other extensions and to see if the problem persists, and lo and behold, the problem was gone. Then, I proceed to enable them one by one to find the culprit and found it. The extension PowerISOShell DLL is the culprit so I left it disabled, Windows Explorer isn't crashing since.

Zanmato, Aug 4, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Excellent- as it happens, I have v6 (64bit) and no apparent incompatibility issues with that.

dalchina, Aug 4, 2016
  8. Zanmato Win User

It's weird since it's also the same for me, but it causes the crash.

Zanmato, Aug 4, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    hmm, odd.. no specific ideas, except you might get a clue from your reliability history or event viewer.
    Depends how important it is to you.

I've noticed the context menu seems pretty quick to appear - maybe faster than before. Buggy extensions (or too many) can slow this down- but I have a fair few.

Does PowerISO run normally? I have no virtual drives enabled. (context menu shows disabled).

dalchina, Aug 4, 2016
  10. Zanmato Win User
    Yeah, I guess. Doesn't matter though, I just removed it on my PC. It's not like I'm using it all the time, I actually only used it once. Thanks for the help!

Zanmato, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes whenever

2. Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right-click after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right-click after Windows update: Good day,My Windows file explorer keeps crashing whenever I right-click. I have tried almost all possible fixes online but it stops for a while and starts again.Please help....
  3. Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right-click after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right-click after Windows update: Good day,My Windows file explorer keeps crashing whenever I right-click. I have tried almost all possible fixes online but it stops for a while and starts again.Please help....
  4. File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click: Every time I try to open the context menu, my File Explorer crashes. I can open the legacy context menu using Shift+Right-Click through. My Windows have been fine, but the problem suddenly appeared, not after I installed some programs or update WindowsI had- Followed this...
  5. File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click

File Explorer Crashed On Right-Click: Every time I try to open the context menu, my File Explorer crashes. I can open the legacy context menu using Shift+Right-Click through. My Windows have been fine, but the problem suddenly appeared, not after I installed some programs or update WindowsI had- Followed this...
  6. file Explorer on right click crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file Explorer on right click crashing: When I right click explorer automatically restart and I cannot delete files, creating folders and much more and I don't know how to repair it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-on-right-click-crashing/5043c183-2eb0-4734-a753-ca7b47ccb6f9
  7. file Explorer on right click crashing

file Explorer on right click crashing: When I right click explorer automatically restart and I cannot delete files, creating folders and much more and I don't know how to repair it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-on-right-click-crashing/5043c183-2eb0-4734-a753-ca7b47ccb6f9
  8. Whenever I right click on a program in file explorer it crashes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whenever I right click on a program in file explorer it crashes: So if I go on File Explorer and I wanna right click on a program File Explorer just crashes, and it's pretty annoying here is a video: https://streamable.com/zq92ea I hate this because I can barely do anything. Please help....
  9. File explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file. If I left click it opens fine.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file. If I left click it opens fine.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jorda_jorda [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e92tl6/file_explorer_crashes_whenever_i_right_click_on_a/
  10. File Explorer - Right click and crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Right click and crashing: Hello Please see my You Tube Demo video - when I right click on a file within File Explorer on Windows 10 it crashes; here is a video demo of the crash - as you can see the Bar down the bottom is disappearing Please can anyone suggest a fix. demo - YouTube 82170