Windows 10: Windows Explorer freezes when opening and after every file change

Discus and support Windows Explorer freezes when opening and after every file change in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Some time yesterday my PC began acting strangely. Every time I open Explorer, I see "Working on it..." and have to wait several seconds before I can do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rassilon, Oct 28, 2016.

1. rassilon Win User

Windows Explorer freezes when opening and after every file change

Some time yesterday my PC began acting strangely. Every time I open Explorer, I see "Working on it..." and have to wait several seconds before I can do anything. In addition, any changes to the file structure (deleting files, copying, moving, etc.) cause another freeze. This occurs on all drives, SSD or HDD.

There are no error messages in Event Viewer, no problems reported by SFC /SCANNOW, and no file system errors reported by CHKDSK. Any advice?

:)

rassilon, Oct 28, 2016
  2. ohitsmax Win User

Windows Explorer freezes when I access Blu-Ray drive (ASUS BW-12B1ST)

After install the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" has changed to "Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller", but the drive still freezes when I open it in explorer. I can click
    on the drive and see the files on the DVD, but when I try to interact with the files the window freezes. The light on the drive is flashing. If I open the drive, the frozen explorer window closes.

ohitsmax, Oct 28, 2016
  3. smithyp12 Win User
    Windows 10 File Explorer not opening

Hey so my file explorer has been working file up until recently, every time I now open it using every way I've tried the task bar just freezes, flickers and does not open. I've tried changing the quick access options to "This PC" and nothing changed

smithyp12, Oct 28, 2016
  4. rassilon Win User

Addendum: If I launch Explorer from "This PC" I see the "Working on it" text. If I launch via the task bar shortcut, it freezes quietly, and loads Explorer after 10-15 seconds. Accessing files through the command prompt has no delay, which leads me to believe this is an issue with Explorer. I tried rebuilding the search index, but that had no effect.

rassilon, Oct 28, 2016
  5. rassilon Win User
    I'm guessing these forums are dead, since nobody has replied. Pity. They used to be helpful.

rassilon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer freezes when opening and after every file change - Similar Threads - Explorer freezes opening

2. Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened: Every time I open edge it won't take more than a few minutes before it freezes windows explorer and I have to restart it every single time!I've done everything I disabled the graphic acceleration, I disabled all the bad features, I scanned for malwares but no nothing is...
  3. Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Edge freezes windows explorer every time it's opened: Every time I open edge it won't take more than a few minutes before it freezes windows explorer and I have to restart it every single time!I've done everything I disabled the graphic acceleration, I disabled all the bad features, I scanned for malwares but no nothing is...
  4. File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened: for some reason on my computer file explorer goes not responding for a min or 2 whenever this PC is opened, I have searched online but have found no solution....
  5. File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened

File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened: for some reason on my computer file explorer goes not responding for a min or 2 whenever this PC is opened, I have searched online but have found no solution....
  6. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  7. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  8. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  10. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...