Windows 10: Windows Explorer ghosts

Discus and support Windows Explorer ghosts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have noticed a rather irritating problem when using windows explorer, in particular - to search files using the search box. When I open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tehsaccade, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Windows Explorer ghosts

Hello,

I have noticed a rather irritating problem when using windows explorer, in particular - to search files using the search box.

When I open a folder in my computer, it opens twice whether i double click, press enter, right click open, etc...

When using the search box, pressing . (eg, *.jpg) causes explorer to open another 2 instances of the same window.

So, if I double click to browse a folder, it opens twice. I then try to use the search, it opens twice more with each the key presses spread out among the search boxes.

This means, when typing "f*.jpg", it is searching - in separate windows - for f, *, and .
    It's a pain.

Has anyone encountered this behaviour before..?

Does it mean I have won windows and this is the very slow, self-induced, solitaire-esq cascade of windows to signify that I beat the game..?!

:)

tehsaccade, Oct 12, 2015

2. How can one delete "cannot be found" ghost files and their dirctory tree which nontheless appear in File Explorer.

Even after re-building all the indexes, some ghost files -and their otherwise empty directory tree - that I want to delete are in showing in File Explorer. These ghost files "cannot be found" when trying to delete them, move them, edit them, or change
    their properties.

AlbertSyeles, Oct 12, 2015
  3. transferring nokia apps from old transflash card to new one

I connected my 6234 using a usb cable in data storage mode. I then used ghost32 ver 11 to copy the memory card to a Ghost image file. Then used Ghost explorer to copy the protected files out of the image and onto my hard drive. Copied onto new SD card....
    all done.

bigted2006, Oct 12, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Windows Explorer ghosts

No, that means that something is screwed up with your windows, this is first time I hear about that problem.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  5. Oh dear... Thanks CountMike.

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
  6. Yeah, something is weird... I goto view, folder options, view tab, and "launch new folder as a separate process" is UNticked... That means it ought to keep opening them in the same window, like normal.

With it ticked, the first time it opens the folder in right window, making you think it is fixed - but then 2nd time it opens two in a new window... Very weird.

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
  7. It's only happening on folders that are on the desktop, when accessed using explorer.

The other day, I noticed that there was a "my desktop" icon on the desktop. It was what appeared to be the whole desktop duplicated, so I deleted it.
    Then everything vanished, so I had to restore it...

Somehow, the desktop was a folder on the desktop, and after deleting and restoring it - everything on the desktop opens twice.

Pretty certain that the desktop on desktop action the other day is what has caused this bug.

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
  8. Windows Explorer ghosts

It sure is only folders from the desktop folder in windows explorer, not off the desktop itself.

It's also only sometimes! And sometimes it will be normal after the double windows are closed, and double-clicking to open again!

Weird...

I've spotted a thread in Reddit that addressed the issue for one guy, but I have already checked this option:

Windows opening folders twice : windows

There is similar guidance (for a documented bug) at this place:

Fix Control Panel opens twice in Windows 10

and this thread is a reason as to why Reddit isn't a good place to ask for advice:

Explorer opening twice (when locating a file) : Windows10

More information can be found at the windows forums but, as usual, it is outdated, and has irrelevent fixes - one person says that he thinks it is to do with another app calling the window, maybe onedrive/skydrive ms account.

All folders appear twice same issue with Control Panel - Microsoft Community

I guess to test sync thing... it's a case of sign in with an offline identity. I'll give it a try.

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
  9. Ok... Well - when signing into another user account, windows operates normally (better, in fact) and - after giving the account access to the files that cause the other user account to open twice... they open normally and can be edited and saved, etc...

One thing I did notice is that I can use all the adobe software without signing in to Creative Cloud Windows Explorer ghosts :p hehehe, we will see how that fares when my subscription expires!

Folders that were opened from maisy profile (eg, c:\users\pete\desktop\xyz) now do not appear to open twice when opened by pete profile... weird.

So, since the double opening of explorer windows from the desktop of profile1 is a problem, but profile2 doesn't have this problem and can open profile1's files and applications... there's 2 ways to deal with it:

1. Never use that profile again, and forever sign in as maisydaisy123 and have to enter profile1 (pete)'s password for all UAC.
    2. Find a way to reset pete profile to the same state as maisy's (eg, fresh as a daisy) without losing ownership of the userfiles and programmes.

Is this what a "reset" in win 10 recovery does? option 2..?
    If so, then it ought to be called "refresh", like when a browser page starts messing up.

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    Did you by any chance, by accident copy or make shortcut C:/User/ Desktop icon to the desktop ?

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  11. Yes.

But, you see - that's the thing. It wasn't a shortcut that was on the desktop!
    It was another desktop in the the desktop, in a folder, with a path c:\users\pete\desktop\desktop... Which is why I deleted it!
    But deleting ..\desktop\desktop also deleted ..\desktop! Like they were entangled.

I've no idea how it got there, but I was testing out several unlicensed apps that day. I remember having some problems with Abrosoft FantaMorph's file browser - it kept needing UAC to do things like rename files inside of the open file dialogue.

In fact, I think it was at that time that the other desktop was created, yes.
    I was surprised after deleting it because I was certain it was not the actual desktop - I have never seen an icon to the desktop on the desktop before... Such recursion is not good for computers, I reckon.

(nor is typing the word desktop so often).

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    Ugh, haven't seen something like that since W95 or 98, had some mallware make nested copies of folders and files until run out of space.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  13. Windows Explorer ghosts

Yeah, maybe it is bad programming...
    I will scan for malware, thanks for the reminder *Smile

I found...

If windows photo viewer is open (windows host process rundll32), the folders do not double open.
    If there is no windows photo viewer open, folders double open.

Therefore:

Always have windows photo viewer open Windows Explorer ghosts :p

Solved..?

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    Solved like if you ate crackers for supper because you run out of bacon, it may pass but it a'int IT !!!

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  15. yeah, and it is not working any more ;`(

I will read more about the reset recovery thing, and see what it will change.
    In the middle of a big project with lots of files and folders on the desktop isn't a good time to be losing things...

(mmm... bacon...)

tehsaccade, Oct 13, 2015
Thema:

Windows Explorer ghosts

1. Windows Explorer ghosts - Similar Threads - Explorer ghosts

2. Ghost disk in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost disk in Windows 11 File Explorer: I recently opened File Explorer and noticed a disk under "This PC" that reads as follows: "Local Disk L:" When I attempt to open it I get a popup that reads "Location is not available. L:\ is not accessible. A device which does not exist was specified." This "disk" does not...
  3. Ghost disk in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ghost disk in Windows 11 File Explorer: I recently opened File Explorer and noticed a disk under "This PC" that reads as follows: "Local Disk L:" When I attempt to open it I get a popup that reads "Location is not available. L:\ is not accessible. A device which does not exist was specified." This "disk" does not...
  4. Ghost drives showing in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ghost drives showing in windows explorer: I have 2 "Removable Disk" drives showing in windows explorer that do not exist. They persist through shutdown and restarts. I have not been able to find any way to get rid of them. If I try opening them I get the following error: Location is not available F:\ is unavailable....
  5. Ghost drives showing in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost drives showing in windows explorer: I have 2 "Removable Disk" drives showing in windows explorer that do not exist. They persist through shutdown and restarts. I have not been able to find any way to get rid of them. If I try opening them I get the following error: Location is not available F:\ is unavailable....
  6. Ghost drives showing in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to view ghost files in Windows Explorer? [Please Read Text/Body]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to view ghost files in Windows Explorer? [Please Read Text/Body]: So, I was cleaning up my Document Folder today and found a folder with over 5000 files. I assumed it may have been another web dev folder with "node_modules" but instead the folder contained just 6 PDFs. I always have hidden files visible, but none were shown. When I unhid...
  8. Get rid of ghost folder in Libraries Navigation Pane, File Explorer

Get rid of ghost folder in Libraries Navigation Pane, File Explorer: I have a ghost folder in my Libraries folder that i cannot remove. i get the message C:\Users\xxx\OneDrive\Documents is unavailable. If the location is on this PC...etc. It's right - it doesnt exist, and i don't want it to - I dont use OneDrive. But this icon/link/?? is...
  9. need help with ghost icloud photos folders on my windows explorer

need help with ghost icloud photos folders on my windows explorer: I had OneDrive and iCloud Photos running. Very soon i notice icloud photo ghost folders in my windows explorer and I can't delete them. I also uninstalled OneDrive and iCloud and these folders still exist. when I click on the folder, I get the "location is not available"...
  10. "Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted

"Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted: I uninstalled Dropbox from several computers, which worked fine on all but one, a desktop PC on the latest version of Win 10. On this PC, it left a "ghost" folder icon named "dropbox" that looks like a white document: [ATTACH] I cannot delete it, as the right-click menu...